Profile for jethro > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Kuhn Rikon Colori Cucina 24 cm Ceramic Induction Frying Pan, Orange
Kuhn Rikon Colori Cucina 24 cm Ceramic Induction Frying Pan, Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars I am lazy and this pans cleans easily., 30 April 2016
I left my 9 year old in charge of cooking some sausages on the hob (she is after the Brownie Cooking Badge) after a safety lecture while I made the rest of a fry up on a hotplate. Her job was to poke the sauages and stir my baked beans. She poked the sausages about but the bottom of the pan turned dark brown with a thick layer of crud.

We ate dinner, and after I filled the pan with hot tap water and walked off. I came back a few hours later to sort the pan out, and by taking a washing up brush to the pan, the vast majority of the burnt of crud came off. I got bored, banged the frying pan in the dish washer to have a spotless frying pan the next day.

Long story, but I have a stainless steel frying pan and if I burn the bottom of the pan, it is wire wool time. With this ceramic pan, I am really lazy. Give the pan a soak with hot water, half heartedly attack it with a brush and the pan is quite clean.

The ceramic has the odd bit of discolouration and the outside of the pan is a mess but I would buy another of these again.

Non stick teflon always peals off and makes me wonder how healthy teflon is to eat but with this ceramic pan I have abused it and the ceramic is staying put.

The base is thicker than the walls of the pan, but not to any major extent (I am comparing this to my copper bottomed stainless steel pans, which have really thick bases) and I have no issues with its cooking of my sausages and omlettes.

One slight hindrance is the handle's attachment to the pan, it is slightly lose and in my eyes will be the issue that means I get a new pan. My last frying pan had a riveted through the pan wall handle connection that was rock solid but it had teflon, which meant the pan went into the recycling bin (they take steel cans, they can have a steel pan!) when the teflon started to peel off........

Kingston 120 GB SATA Industrial Solid State Drive
Kingston 120 GB SATA Industrial Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it in your laptop!!!!!, 30 April 2016
I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 that came with a 1Tb Hybrid drive. The laptop had an empty M.2 slot, and it takes the longer variety of M.2 SATA drives which this Kingston drive is.

To fit: take the back off my laptop by undoing a single screw. Undo the unused M.2 securing screw, clip the drive in, redo the 2 screws. done.

Fitted in two minutes, one copy of Windows 10 installed That is another issue involving backing up windows 10 to a usb stick and then doing a clean install of Windows 10 to the SSD drive from USB.......

Anyway, this drive boots really fast. I have an i7 Intel Skylake 6700hq Laptop with 12GB of ram and with the SSD the boot time is faster than my desktop i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz with 16Gb ram and a newer faster 512Gb SSD.

This drive might be small, but it is enough to fit my programs onto and leave enough space for Windows to use when ram runs low.

Pictures, documents and the like can be stored on the bigger disk hard drive where speed isn't so much of a concern.

Motorola Moto X Force Black
Motorola Moto X Force Black
Offered by Buyur

5.0 out of 5 stars A drop proof phone., 4 Feb. 2016
This phone is drop proof. I know this as I keep dropping my phone on the floor, just because I can. There is a video on Youtube that has a bloke chucking this phone from a tiny aircraft at 1000 ft into a field. The phone bounces and works. The Guardian has a video showing the phone being thrown at walls, down stairs and dropped from the first floor onto a concrete floor, and this phone survives it. It only dies when the reviewer smashes it with a hammer a few times.

Why say all of this? Using this phone is totally different to any other phone as I am not afraid to drop it. That is totally refreshing, not being scared that my expensive new phone is going to break should it slip out of my hand.

When I got my phone in the Carphone Warehouse (they had this phone on sale), the salesman had a smashed Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. Both sides are made of glass, and both sides of his Edge had cracked, with bits of glass falling out. The S6 Edge is a lovely looking phone, until you drop it. I have dropped my X force, repeatedly, and it still looks like new. The display X Force in the shop had lumps of metal missing, and was badly scratched and it almost put me off this phone until the salesman told me that they had abused the display model. The Carphone Warehouse in Currys, Lakeside Retail Park has 2 floors and a balcony, which they threw the phone over. The phone was also thrown down the tiled stairs, and still worked fine, if a bit battered.

I am not buying a case for this phone, if the screen should crack in normal useage I don't care as Motorola has put a 4 year warranty on the screen.

Next up, the battery. Thumbs down for not being able to replace it, but! The turbo charger works really quickly should the battery run low and that battery lasts for ages. I didn't used to like playing games on my Galaxy S3 as the battery ran low if I got into a good gaming session, but with the X Force I don't have this worry. I have a screen on time of 3 hours 46 mins at the moment with a battery level of 49%.
The screen has used 14% of the charge, and the mobile standby has used 13% of the charge which is normal as I have a rubbish mobile signal in my house. I am very happy with the battery life, and if I don't play games on it, 2 days out of a single charge is attainable.

This phone has an SD card slot, which is good to fill with photos and movies. Hardcore photographers will not like the camera on the phone as it is simple to use and fast in good light, but the controls on offer are basic to speed things up. I just poke the screen and the picture is taken very quickly but using the flash does slow things down quite a bit. The front selfie camera has a flash, which is handy if you are so inclined.

The phone is fast to use, the Snapdragon 810 cpu makes light work of all the tasks I throw at it. It runs games quickly, takes pictures quickly and it slides around the menus with ease. It has dual band 5 ghz wifi and sat next to my router, I get 200 Mbps download speed from my Virgin Broadband, and I couldn't be happier with that.

(On another note, Virgin didn't automatically give me my free upgrade from 152 to 200 meg broadband, I had to log in to my account and activate it. So if your area has been upgraded, log in and check. I discovered this as I was playing around with my router, due to getting this phone.)

The 5.4 inch screen itself is okay to look at, the picture quality suffers in a very minor way due to its robust construction, but I think it is far better to look at than the LG G4's lcd affair as the X force has an amoled screen (its more flexible than an lcd screen...). I got my Samsung Galaxy S2 years ago and was blown away by the screen, my S3 was just as nice to look at and this phone's screen is not as overpoweringly colourful as the Samsungs screens. The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has the nicest screen ever, and the X force isn't as nice to look at but I can throw my phone against the wall and not have glass fly everywhere, so in my view a very slight loss of screen quality is a good trade off.

The back of the phone has a grippy fabric type feel to it, which again helps prevent damage as it is not made of slippy plastic or glass. The phone has a slight lip running around the edge of the screen which helps to prevent scratches when you place it screen down on a table. The phone could be better looking, but it doesn't need a case and looks far better than any phone with a case wrapped around it.

The android version is currently Marshmallow and Motorola has barely changed the X Forces android from the stock Google version. Stock android has 2 very annoying features.
1) The soft home keys (back, home and task viewer) are hard to hide as stock android doens't have an option to put user selected apps into immersive mode where the soft keys are hidden. Some apps use this function, others don't and the only way to change this in a proper manner is to root the phone.......
2) The google bar in the homescreen is hard to remove, and the easiest way is to use a launcher.

Update wise, Motorola normally is quite quick to update its software but last year it decided to not update a couple of newly released phones for no apparent reason. For that reason, I can't say about future X Force updates, I am not expecting one but will be pleased if they do.

There is no NFC on this phone and the charger uses the old micro USB socket. One thing I don't like about the chrger is that the cable is a part of the charger and can't be replaced. My old Kindle charging lead died a death from me using it everyday to charge my phone and replacing the lead was simple but the X Force has a turbo charger and if the lead dies, the charger goes in the bin and I have to buy another turbo charger. (I am still using my kindle charger to top up the battery over night so I can't see my turbo charger ever breaking!).

I just threw my X Force over my shoulder, just because I can. If that sounds like the sort of phone for you, buy this phone and you won't be disappointed, it is Motorola's top of the range phone after all.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2016 5:13 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars This makes awesome pies, the metal is thick enough to hold ..., 10 Jan. 2015
This makes awesome pies, the metal is thick enough to hold its heat but thin enough to nicely cook the base.
I have a few stoney/clay type pie dishes and they don't get used anymore. A few soggy bottoms to many in the past.....

I rub some butter around the inside this Falcon pie dish, place my shortcrust pastry in it and blind bake.
I make sure the pastry goes over the edge of the pie dish as it shrinks a bit while in the oven. Easily trimmed off.
Wait to cool, then chuck in the cooled filling and pop a shortcrust lid on the top.

Plonk in the oven for about 40 mins and then the best bit is that the pie turns out of the tin, every time and the base is never soggy.

Really easy to clean as well, after my pie has been devoured by my horde, I whack it into the dishwasher and it is spotless after. To be honest, the only mess left in the pie dish is some slightly browned butter, which is easy to clean off.

I have 3 of these tins, and I make three pies. One for the oven and two for the freezer. Leave to defrost and these frozen pies are just as nice.

The pie dish is deep enough to provide a nice amount of filling and it would easily give enough pie for 5 at dinner.

Don't think as it is made of metal that they don't break, I launched one across the kitchen and it hit the edge of my sideboard. One dent and the enamel flaked off, but totally my fault for losing my temper.

I originally ordered one of these, I broke it, missed it and now have 3, hence the 5 stars.

Disney Infinity Character - Anna (Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii/Wii U/3DS)
Disney Infinity Character - Anna (Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii/Wii U/3DS)
Offered by DIGITAL24 DI DI BARTOLO ANTONIO

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite figure, 10 Jan. 2015
I have a few Infinity figures and Anna is my favorite, for one simple reason: her spade.

My children call it the spade of death as I chase after them and clout them with it. The sound effect of the spade smacking some one is just straight out of an episode of the Young Ones and makes it even more fun.

The spade is her close up attack, and it works well. Smack, Smack and Smack and then the enemy gets sent flying.

Her grappling hook is not so good, its range is not very far but when you hit someone with it, you can pull them to you. Cue more screams from my kids, they escape the spade to get pulled back again.

At this point you are thinking I am mean to torment my kids in this way, but it has taught a 4 year old to block in the game to stop the spade killing him, and also Anna can't fly so that my kids can fly off and escape.

Anna's special move is useless as it is a ground slam option, that all the other characters have in their close range skill tree. (4 skill trees to spend points on as you level up - health, ranged, close up and special move). She even says in the game that she has no magical powers.

You can spend points to make her walk faster.

The figure is well made, it is a Disney Toy so high quality is expected and I have not been let down on that regard.

Anna can only be used in the toybox mode of play, and my little girls (aged 6 and 8) quite often play with Anna, so Santa did well with this figure at Xmas.

ABUS 70IB/45  Aquasafe Padlock, Non-Corrosive
ABUS 70IB/45 Aquasafe Padlock, Non-Corrosive

5.0 out of 5 stars One year and still easy to open, 1 May 2014
I have this locking my shed door and it sits in the open and gets battered by the rain.

I ordered this over a year ago after my old padlock rusted up. I used to have to beat the lock a few times with a block of wood before it would open, and when my shed window cracked I ordered this lock.

The lock seals well with its rubbery seals doing a good job of keeping the water at bay.

It is smooth to operate after a year and I would gladly buy another one.

Laundry Master LM7202 Cotton and Foam Plus Felt Backing Ironing Board Cover, 115 x 35 cm, Small, Multicolor
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick to fit, nice to use........., 1 May 2014
I needed a 93cm by 33cm replacement cover, but couldn't find one.
I measured my ironing board but included the iron tray that wasn't covered by my old cover and it came to 115cm., up from 93cm.

A new search came up with this cover, and I ordered it.

The cover has a drawstring and three velco straps attached.

Fitting was fairly easy. I roughly offered it up, used the 3 velcro straps to hold it in place then pulled on the draw strings.

A spot of readjustment and I made sure the drawstring, which goes all around the outside edge of the cover, was on the underside of my ironing board all the way around. I then pulled like mad on the drawstring and tied it off, then tightened up the velcro straps.

Job done.

It looks good and it is really nice to iron on. Mind you, my old ironing board cover was one of those cheap silver ones and if my dog didn't have a habit of munching on ironing boards I wouldn't have to have ordered a replacement cover.................

Urbanz ZIPCPK Zip Multi-device Stereo Headphone - Pink
Urbanz ZIPCPK Zip Multi-device Stereo Headphone - Pink
Offered by SORK-LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Got 3 sets at xmas, none work now..., 31 Jan. 2014
My sister got 3 of these headsets (2 pink and 1 blue) for my horde at xmas. They looked ideal and seemed well made and I was happy with them.

None are working now, the first broke on Boxing day. The horde got tablets for xmas and these headsets looked awesome when my kids first put them on.

The problem is where the wire goes into the headphone plug is not the best. You have to wiggle the cable until it decides it is in the right position, and then will fire up the headphone speakers. At first it was just in certain positions but then slowly it just failed to output any sound at all.

One dodgy headset is unlucky, 3 is just bad. I gave these to a 5 and 7 year old girl, the main market I feel for all things pink and feel that a pink headset should last longer than a month.

1 star, and I really feel that the look and feel of these headphones...................

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., 29 Jan. 2014
My second charger for my trusty old laptop died and it was a cheap replacement like this one. The connector into the laptop died where the wire turns into the plug.

This charger looks better than that one, and it appears to be well made.

I was worried by the other reviews but am pleased with this charger, after all, it charges my laptop!

Tala Spatulas, Set of 3
Tala Spatulas, Set of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 nicely made spatulas, 15 Oct. 2013
These are nicely made, have no rough edges and have a fairly sharp (for a spatula) edge that helps to scratch off food that sticks to the bottom off the pan.

They are of a nice size and they are made of a very pale wood, that I am slowly turning a darker colour.....

Cheap and quickly delivered, so 5 stars all the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8