Profile for W. R. T. Peppe > Reviews

Content by W. R. T. Peppe

W. R. T. Peppe (Newcastle, United Kingdom)

Opticlear lens Wipes 6 X Packs of 26 Wipes (152 Wipes )
Opticlear lens Wipes 6 X Packs of 26 Wipes (152 Wipes )

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 30 Mar 2013
"Product feature: Disolves grease to leave a brilliant finish on ... cameras, ... TV and computer screens"

I just bought this product have seeing this description and knowing that I want to clean my camera lenses and my laptop and large computer monitor.

However, in the fine print: "Not to be used on contact lenses, plasma or LCD screens".

What computer screens are not LCD these days? Will this product ruin my computer displays if I use it on them? Or is the warning just there so I will buy Opticlear Screen Wipes as well?

This product has done a good job of cleaning a nice camera lens that I have, but I feel the product description is misleading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2013 10:33 AM BST

The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction
The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction
by Gardner Dozois

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 10 May 2011
I loved this collection - consistently strong stories that are never cliched. A must read for any fans of sf short fiction. Thumbs up from my girlfriend too.

External eSata / USB 3.5" Passive Sata Hard Disk Drive Enclosure Kit
External eSata / USB 3.5" Passive Sata Hard Disk Drive Enclosure Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars good piece of kit, 28 Mar 2008
I've had one of these for about a week now, and it does the job fine. The only problem i had was that the installation instructions had been left out, but once you've worked out how to slide the drive bay out (unscrew end and push), it's all fairly trivial, assuming you know how to use a screwdriver.

Build quality is solid, and there's a red/green LED that indicates activity/power, which can be useful and isn't too bright or distracting.

As there's no fan, I don't know how well drives that get very hot would do
(I've put a WD Caviar 1000GB in it, and it's only barely warm, even after writing 700GB of data over a period of 24 hours).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2008 3:05 PM BST

Canon Ixus 40 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical]
Canon Ixus 40 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical]

4.0 out of 5 stars just what I was after, 31 Aug 2005
I bought this camera just before going away on holiday. Delivery times were tight (ordered on Thursday night, going away on Tuesday), but I shopped around anyway and ended up ordering the camera from Amazon and other parts elsewhere (the 1GB memory card sold by Amazon didn't have great reviews). Everything arrived in the nick of time (inc. spare battery and 12V battery charger, which both turned out to be absolutely essential). Amazon did a free case bundled with the camera, which turned out to be nicely sufficient.
This is my first digital camera, and I've had a ball! (at the expense of those that I was constantly pointing the camera at...) The main thing I'd been worried about was the slow response time I'd found in other digitial camera, but this camera is nice and quick (although not as quick as the old mechanicals).
On our four week holiday, I ended up taking about 1200 photos, meaning that I had to dump some to the laptop a couple of times, despite the 1GB card. I was using the camera all the time (with display on), and the battery tended to last 2 to 3 days, hence the essential spare (I got a Uniross replacement, which doesn't seem to last so long, but since one's charging while the other's in use, there's not that much problem).
The single thing I most enjoyed was being able to take stunning macro shots of flowers, insects, etc. To have this capability without the bulk of an SLR is just fantastic. A down-side, however, is that I was sometimes unable to focus on a desired macro object, and macro focusing with the telephoto in use didn't seem to work at all. Manual focus would help here, but it would add to the complexity of the design, which is currently nice and simple.
A real benefit of the good display was that I could take photos of other people's climbing guidebooks, local maps, etc and use them just by zooming in on the text or diagrams on the display. As we were in little-frequented areas, with unavailable or out-of-print guidebooks, this was totally invaluable. The camera was not only a tool for recording where we had been, but also a resource that could show us where to go, and small and convenient enough to use even half way up a rock face!
Altogether, I'd highly recommend it.