Profile for Miztress Sophie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Goat Simulator (PC DVD)
Goat Simulator (PC DVD)
Offered by games-wizard

5.0 out of 5 stars so it's like they took a crazy Tony Hawks skate world, 12 Aug 2014
Okay, so it's like they took a crazy Tony Hawks skate world, added a Postal (PC game) type feel to it, and stuck you in the body of a goat. You can grab things with your tongue, send yourself shooting off into the sky, land on top of buildings, find entrances to these buildings, enter them, find rooms inside with totally random objects and machinery -all that you can interact with. Now I don't know if many of you blaze up, but I had a smoke and stuck this on, and ended up on it for hours, just crazy thing after crazy thing, all so unexpected, and all so pointlessly random, but just so....so fun. This is probably the first time I can say I "LMAO'd" and actually mean it, okay, well my ass didn't fall off, but you know what I mean.

Get this game!!!!!! Just do it

HATERS GONNA HATE CAR BUMPER SRICKER VAN JDM DECAL DRIFT DUB JAP VW DECAL GRAPHIC
Offered by South Coast Stickers

1.0 out of 5 stars not good quality either, 8 Aug 2014
Different font to the one advertised, cheesy comic sans style font was sent to me, not good quality either. Might stick it on my kids quad, no way I'm putting it on my car lol, for £2 not worth a refund, don't bother getting this if you like it, it doesn't look anything like the one in the pic.

Savages Crossing [DVD]
Savages Crossing [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Jarrat
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

1.0 out of 5 stars HERE'S DADDY, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Savages Crossing [DVD] (DVD)
This movie was terrible. The acting is really bad, by everybody in it, and that's only a very small handful of people. John Jarratt was good in Wolf Creek, but here he's trying to act outside of his capabilities, or maybe it was just the bad script, or amateur camera work, or the soundtrack that sounds like it's all done on a Casio Keyboard, or really...REALLY cheesy one-liners. I don't know where to begin.

I'll start with the actual story itself, the story is actually good. It's nothing original, it's been done time and time again, but it's usually a winning formula in the right hands: - People get stranded together, people try to kill people, the plot thickens, all is revealed, the end. - You normally can't go wrong with it, and had the acting, music, directing, casting and wardrobe (the big cowboy in the hat), been different, then it could have worked, but no. Just no. Ruined by everything else.

If I was shown the movie with no idea who John Jarratt was, or when it was released, I would assume it was filmed in the 80's and had been poorly remastered or something. The quality is bad, I'm not sure what they filmed with or if they just had no idea about lighting, but something seemed wrong. The cameraman who was slowly rotating around Jarrett's face as he was ranting should look for a different line of work, it was wobbling and rising and falling, and just looked like somebody was walking around him trying to keep it still, but failing. I understand that they had a very small budget, and didn't have camera cranes and a big set, and there's nothing wrong with that, make what you have work. Don't try to pull off fancy camera angles that people achieve with precision machinery, on foot!! It's never going to look good. It's not even something I was looking out for when I was watching it, but it was so obvious.

The acting was just abysmal, especially the two girls in the camper van. I don't know why they got the parts, I can only assume that they are related to Jarratt too, like his son, who is also in this movie, playing Jarratt's.....son!! The two girls, the son, the cowboy, the wife and the women who works in the bar all failed to deliver anything, the only half-decent acting came from the cop, who wasn't in it for very long at all, and a few scenes by Jarrett could pass as okay acting. It's very hard to take a movie seriously when the actors who are meant to be acting terrified just seem like they are joking and playing around, trying their hardest not to burst out laughing.

The makeup and FX here are laughable, notably a bullet hole in somebody's head, and we see this quite a few times. I've honestly seen better fake bullet holes done for Halloween costumes by children. It's a small, round, red hole on the guys forehead, a nice neat little hole, with a little blood around it, and the guys face while he's meant to be dead was just ridiculous. It was like what you would expect in a very old movie.

Some of the one-liners in this movie, they just made me laugh, not in a good way, but in a "did they seriously just say that" way. The one that really got me, and made me actually (and I mean actually) facepalm, was when Jarratt has an axe, and his family are locked behind a wooden door, he breaks the door down with the axe, walks in and he says....... "DADDY'S HOME". I'm guessing it was meant to be like a "Here's Johnny" thing, but instead seemed like a parody of it.

*******THE NEXT PART CONTAINS PLOT-RUINING SPOILERS***********

The end of this movie is a joke, are we meant to believe that the cowboy just walks away and the wife and son are left to collect the $5M life insurance payout? What about the dead cop, the dead Jarratt, the $100k in cash in her handbag that was to pay the cop/hitman, and the woman, who Jarrett explained everything to and who knew the wife was trying to kill him for the money. All those things and we are left with the impression that Cowboy just keeps out of it and the wife and son get away with it? I don't think so. My two-year-old daughter could come up with a more realistically viable ending.

************SPOILERS OVER****************************

I can't recommend this movie to anybody, not for the plot, the acting.... anything about it.

If you think I'm being overly harsh, don't rate my review, watch the movie, and then read my review again, tell me if I'm wrong. I don't normally write reviews this long, or this bad, but this movie was just so bad. It doesn't even qualify as B movie material, it's more like what you'd expect from a bunch of novice, wannabe filmmakers who are only just starting out and have no clue at all. I watched it to the end, but only so I could write a fully justified review, and because it was so bad I wanted to see if it could even get worse. It did.

The song that starts playing as the credits role (a woman singing) is the only decent thing in the whole movie.

I might take the DVD back to Sainsburys and try and get a refund or exchange.

EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy Elite - Intel 1155/1156
EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy Elite - Intel 1155/1156

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks expensive, feels expensive, is expensive., 4 Dec 2013
So I upgraded my plastic XSPC waterblock with this one, and what can I say? It's square, it's chunky, it's shiny, it looks a lot more.... Robotic/cyborgish (only words I could think of to describe it, and I'm not sure the second one is even a proper word, but oh well). It was easy to install, draining my loop was a chore, but that's not the CPU blocks fault. I probably should have waited to fit it, as I'll be putting a new rad, pump and acrylic tubing in soon... Yeah, I know, that's basically the whole loop, I'm upgrading from a Ray storm pump/res combo kit.

So when I turned my rig on to leak test all seemed fine, no leaks, no bubbles, no strange noises. I let it leak test for 24 hours, then turned it on. There's only a 3 degree drop in temps, that's still good considering it's the only thing I've changed, I'm expecting it to work ever better once I upgrade the rest of the loop.

So as far as my knowledge of CPU blocks goes, this one is great, it's on the expensive side of the market, but you get what you pay for, and I can recommend this.

Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll hack your arm off and stomp on your head., 4 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I really loved this game, it's the first game I got for my Xbox one...Okay, that's a lie, it came with Forza, but I haven't played that yet.

Anyway, the story mode on this game is amazing, the graphics are absolutely stunning, it's a bit too easy if I'm honest though, I played my first playthrough on Centurion difficulty (the hardest setting before unlocking legendary) I then did the second on legendary, and while some of the boss fights were quite a bit harder, they really weren't too frustrating. The game IS very short, I did both playthroughs in three days, and had a bash on multiplayer too, the multiplayer so far has been enjoyable, you fight waves of enemies off while trying to do tasks at the same time, you can upgrade your character and stuff, it was fun, but I really enjoyed the campaign more.

Okay so the story isn't really that unique, it's kind of a mish mash of a few well known stories. What I thought was funny was the way all the British soldiers in it have quite heavy northern accents (Yorkshire/Cumbria) and then the Romans, for some reason, have southern English accents (upper class London). I understand we don't want them speaking Latin with subtitles, but I just thought the accent differentiating the two groups was funny. There's some really good voice acting in it, and the facial expressions and movements are remarkable, even when not in cut-scenes like when I cut some guys arm off (a lot of arms get cut off in it) he was rolling around on the ground screaming, and his face looked hilarious, like he was really screaming (I'm a bitch, I know).

The combat is amazing, it is repetitive, but it's fun enough to not be a problem. It's a "block, hit, hit, hit, block, parry, hit - Hit button for finishing move - do finishing move sequence" deal, but the graphics make it so enjoyable. It's very violent, but I like that lol, and when you get the hang of it, it pays off. Run into a big crowd of six crazy guys with machetes and giant hammers and start hacking limbs off "BOOM" - knock him back with a shield, HACK SLASH BLOCK PARRY then EXECUTION TIME - KNEE HIM IN THE STOMACH, SMACK HIM IN THE FACE WITH THE SHIELD, CHOP HIS ARM OFF, SLASH HIS THROAT, THEN STOMP ON HIS HEAD WHEN HE FALLS - - What's not to like about that? It's also a reason I'm grateful the game isn't overly long, those two playthroughs were enough to make me feel like I got my moneys worth, and now I'll be moving on... I'll probably go back and playthrough again just to try for some of the achievements I missed, but not right now.

If you want a game that will last you tens of hours, this isn't for you, and if you're worried about not getting your moneys worth, I can totally understand that, and would recommend getting it when the price drops. But if you were thinking of getting it, knowing how long it is, and what it's like, and think it sounds like something you're after, I say get it, I don't have a complaint with it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 2:04 PM BST

Xbox One Console with Kinect
Xbox One Console with Kinect

5.0 out of 5 stars The only bad part was the delivery man making my dog bark, 22 Nov 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
So I was in bed, the time was 7:45am. I was having a dream about not being able to find my phone (the horror) when - KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, BARK BARK BARK WOOF WOOF WOOF -

It took me a few seconds to realise that I was no longer looking for my phone. Who could that be? OH YEAH, XBOX ONE!!!!!!

So I jump up, grab my dressing gown, run down the stairs, swear at the dog, open the door with a big smile on my face to be greeted by the most miserable looking S.O.B I've ever seen holding a box. Whatever, he can't kill my buzz, sign for the package, run into the living room, open it up, and there it is in it's black box, just waiting for me to hook it up.

Power cable: in, HDMI cable: in, Kinect sensor: in, ethernet cable: in

Power on.... Why's it taking so long to load? .... AHH it's doing something.... Set up the kinect - Even though the rooms quite dark with it being so early, the brightness is amazing *looking at myself on the screen* - "god I look terrible, no wonder that deliveryman was miserable when he saw me"

Anyway, get the kinect set up, then off I go, sign in with my 360 account, log into facebook to brag a bit, then back to testing out the new console.

So easy to navigate through it, redeem my day one achievement code "Xbox, use a code" - Screen pops up with kinect showing me sitting there again (goddammit)flash the barcode at the camera *achievement unlocked* - YAY. So I start my free Forza 5 download. While that's downloading I had another browse of the menus. Such a great layout, and the kinect picks up my voice really well, even with my high pitched girl voice and strong southern accent. The menus kind of windows 8-ish, some people may not like that, but I do.

The controller is an improvement feel-wise, have to admit not much though, but playing Forza made me realise the improvements, there really is more precise accuracy, that could bee down to the games settings, or a combination of both, but ooh well, it feels better whatever the reason. I won't go into Forza as this is a console review, and a great console at that.

The GPU is clearly far superior to 360's, although nowhere near what my dual 7970's can push out, but nobody would expect that from a console lol. But as consoles go, graphics are amazing, smooth, shading is brilliant, not even thinking about FPS when I'm playing because it just runs so well.

Haven't used the headset so can't comment on that

Will probably update this review in the future. But so far, one very very happy girl :D

UPDATE: Just tried out my Ryse disk, absolutely silent, came on straight away after a small update, ran smoothly. So the "disks don't work" thing (if it's even true) doesn't apply to all consoles.

UPDATE 2: This is the third day and all is still running fine, disks are working (games, DVDs and blu rays), and last night I was on Skype to family, the quality of the kinect camera is excellent, got complimented about it, and it has a neat little feature that seems to follow people movements and zoom in on who's talking. 10/10 for the Skype experience.
Comment Comments (31) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 10:45 PM GMT

Xbox One Console: Day One Edition (with free Forza 5 download code)
Xbox One Console: Day One Edition (with free Forza 5 download code)

Power cable: in, HDMI cable: in, Kinect sensor: in, ethernet cable: in

Haven't used the headset so can't comment on that

Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 7:13 AM GMT

Eden [DVD]
Eden [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Chung

4.0 out of 5 stars As a work of fiction, it's a good movie., 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Eden [DVD] (DVD)
Okay, so my title might have you wondering what I mean, seeing as how this claims to be based on a true story. Not "inspired" by a true events, but actually based on them. Let me explain the reason for my title before I go into my opinion on the actual movie itself.

So, after watching the film, I had grown to admire the protagonist based on the events she endured and the way she manipulated the illicit, underground operation. So I thought to myself, this must be one hell of a lady, an inspiration. So I googled Chong Kim, and came up short, all I could find was a couple of interviews with the woman, and a couple of (conflicting) essay style blogs, written by her. Now if the events she claims to be true were indeed just that, true, then there would be an abundance of official reports, investigations, news articles, murder inquiries, etc..... But nothing, nothing but the testimony of a woman who actually seems like she's making most of it up. I don't doubt that SOMETHING happened to her involving forced prostitution, but I seriously doubt a lot of the events are even far fetched versions of the truth, let alone actually true.

So onto the movie.

Like I say, as a work of fiction, ignoring the "based on a true story" tagline, it's a deeply engrossing movie from start to finish. The main actress delivers a stellar performance, I'm aware that she's been in other movies, but this is the first time I have had the pleasure of seeing her in action, and she didn't disappoint. The cast isn't very big, there are quite a few females playing the parts of abducted girls and prostitutes, but their dialogue mainly consists of whimpering and/or crying. The three main people that stick out in the movie for their performances are Eden (Jamie Chung)as our protagonist, Vaughan (Matt O'Leary) as the drug addicted, psychotic, irrational head-counter, employed to keep the girls in line and escort them around to clients, and Bob (Beau Bridges) the dirty cop, running a branch of a global scale human trafficking network. These three actors really bring the whole thing together and make it a movie worth watching.

When it comes to movie violence, I can be a bit of a gore-whore, so I'm never really squeamish or looking away in disgust. With the topic of the movie, and the 18 certificate I expected there to be quite a bit of violence and sex involved, suprisingly it had neither, some suggested violence (first person view of somebody hitting somebody with a baton), some semi-shown violence (man grasping his bleeding groin) and some non-graphic action style violence (shooting people and they fall down dead instantly and silently) but nothing that is shocking. As for sex, there was noting really. Now, sometimes deliberately missing out shocking material for a shocking plot can ruin a movie, for me with Eden, it didn't. It wasn't candy-coated.

There was no real back story on anybody apart from Eden, and a small back story on Vaughan that didn't really go into any detail, but this made sense if the movie is meant to be from Edens point of view, she can only know what she finds out, therefore, so can we. Because of this, we hear of a lot of things that we never get to see, like Dubai for instance.

The end of the film leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Sometimes I like that in a movie, it leaves you wondering, but with Eden there were one or two questions I really wanted answers to (won't spoil anything)and they could have been answered seeing as how Eden survived the ordeal to tell us, so this is why I'm knocking a star off what would have been 5.

If you like the sound of the plot, and don't go into it expecting that it's word-for-word based factual events, you'll enjoy it. It's something I'd watch again with friends if I was bored.

Stanley 197514 24-inch Tote With Organiser
Stanley 197514 24-inch Tote With Organiser

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cheap alternative., 19 Aug 2013
After buying so much makeup, I had nowhere to store it all, and the designer carry boxes just didn't cut it, so I got this........ JOKING :P Girls can have tool boxes too :)

True story: So After having to patch fences, mess about with heaters, buy spanners and Allen keys because flat-pack provided tools are pathetic, unscrew countless amounts of baby toy battery compartments,drill holes, put brackets up to put shelves up to put things on that toddlers can't put their inquisitive little fingers on - I had acquired more tools than would fit in the small plastic box that they lived in. My only option - Buy a man-box.

This seemed just as good as others valued at £80, so straight away I thought something is going to be badly done, but reading the bad reviews didn't phase me. They all seemed to be from people who couldn't even figure out how to latch the two compartments together (and I'm ACTUALLY blonde)

After comparing the good and bad reviews, I decided that it was worth the gamble (a 40 extra pound gamble if you're going by similar boxes by other brands). So that was that, I had bought this box.

It arrived, along with some other items I had ordered, in a plain cardboard box, so I didn't actually know it was the toolbox until I had taken it out - not like anybody needed to even know that information, but "F" it, if you're still reading this, well done you, a pat on the back is deserved.

The two compartments are a simple "stick one on top of the other" affair, and to release it there's a big yellow button. I could have probably figured out how to separate them without the big "PRESS HERE" stuff, I mean, it IS a button, but oh well, some people may need that? If you can't read then you might be stuck, but if you are this far in to this review, I'm going to question your claims of inability to read.

The bottom compartment is easily big enough for a couple of different sized hammers, large screw drivers, hacksaws, spanners, duct tape, a smaller spirit level and a wrench with sockets (that's what I have in there) and there's still a lot of space. The top compartment is the reason I'm knocking one star off, the plastic lid is brittle and thin, that will, at some point, get cracked. The separate sections of the top compartment are adjustable though, they are all separated by yellow plastic cards that can be taken out and moved around, so you can change it to suit your needs.This was good for me, as I'm keeping serious DIY tools in the bottom and computer tools and parts in the top (water cooler barbs/compression fittings, thermal paste, case screws, small screwdrivers etc.)

So for the price, it's great, I will only be using it around the house, so there's no real risk of damage to the top, therefore I expect it to last me a long time. I wouldn't buy it if you work on a building site, but then if you do, you probably already know what toolboxes are good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2013 3:23 PM GMT

AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, Supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX, Digi Power Design, 16 + 8 Power Phase Design) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally underrated line of hardware., 11 Aug 2013
People overlook, or just ignore ASrock and their fatal1ty products, and their reasons always seem to boil down to the fact that they aren't a well enough established brand to take a gamble on. I recently had to replace my previous mobo, the amazing Asus P8Z line that I don't have a bad word to say about, and instead of going with that I know and trust, I decided to try a different flavour.

My GPU's are red (7970 X editions) so I thought I would look for something that matched the colour. The immediately obvious choice would be a ROG board (republic of gamers, for anybody who doesn't know that) but after looking around I saw this board, and since I already have a Fatal1ty champion soundcard that I can't fault, I figured - why the hell not - I mean, a quick read through of the specs and features with the modest price tag seemed like a pretty decent deal for what it was offering.

It arrived quickly, and I spent no time waiting to crack the seal and take an up-close look at my builds new centerpiece, I wasn't disappointed. Aesthetically pleasing, if you're into that type of thing, with it's gold plated caps, Fatal1ty logo smack bang in the middle and the side of the CPU, so my waterblock reflects it's red LEDs off the silver logo and looks amazing.

Looks aside, because some people don't care about pretty things, they are only interested in how well it does it's job. Well, first, I went straight into the UEFI menu so I could check out this OC tweaker that I had read about in the manual, and I was suprised at how well it's all laid out, so easy to use, you just click what speed you want to OC to and it's that simple, I admit you do have to manually alter all the other settings, but if you know anything about overclocking then you won't have a problem, and I think you will like the UEFI menu, I much prefer it to BIOS. I've got my i7 3770k running at 4.8, and it's as stable as a table. The Vcore is clearly as good as they claim it to be, along with the 16+8 design.

I love the little Dr Debug LED on the mobo, great thing to include if I ever need it, so far haven't had a problem or a reason to look at it though, also, if you're using dual cards, and they are big like my 7970's then the bottom one will cover the LED.

I was totally shocked to see that the mobo has an integrated dehumidifier - yeah, you DID read that right, a DEHUMIDIFIER!!!???
We don't really live in an exceptionally humid climate over here in Blighty, but still, a pretty cool feature - No? Well, I thought so, so :P

The rapid start technology lives up to it's name, I have my OS on my SSD, so that also makes a big difference, but it is lighting fast at responding.

I regret nothing.... NOTHING..... when I ask myself if I made the right choice with this board. I would recommend it to anybody looking for a board in this price range. Don't overlook ASrock, I think they are here to stay, and are a definite contender to ROG and maximus boards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4