Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Rush

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING, 21 Nov. 2013
Yes, there is an issue with the drums being low in the 5.1 mix which is a shame (I haven't listened to the stereo mix) but the rest of the sound is, I think, very good. Big Al's guitar is very loud and clear and actually sounds live (listen to the first notes of "Limelight" and you will know what I mean) and there is a nice bass rumble. I think the back stage and off stage scenes are excellent and really add to the concert event. I, personally, love their videos and was a bit concerned that two of them are listed as extras and none are listed on the track list. It's great to see the boys enjoy themselves, even Neil. The Clockwork Angels String Ensemble really add a new dimension to the music and it's nice to see them really enjoying themselves. There are some good scenes with Alex and Geddy interacting with them during the show. Top class guys. The light show has been filmed very well, especially the second set. The extras are okay. Good documentary but a bit short. My only criticism, if that is the right word, is that the concert version of "Limelight" is not included. "Limelight", for me, was one of the (many) highlights when I saw the show in Glasgow. Overall - it's Rush and they are, as always, STUNNING.

Drive Home [Blu-ray] [2013]
Drive Home [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Steven Wilson
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 28 Oct. 2013
I totally agree with all that has been said in the previous reviews. There is one thing I would like to add - the orchestral version of The Raven is absolutely stunning. In my opinion its even better than the original version. Listen to when the strings come in where the drums came in on the original. Simply beautiful.

TRIXES Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 150Mbps For Windows 7 / XP / Vista
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic buy, 5 Aug. 2012
As usual, with most items, there are positive and negative reviews. I wanted to move my router downstairs to hook up ethernet cables to my sky + box and blu-ray player. I am not very technically minded so my fears after reading some reviews were whether the router would be too far away from my pc and if I would lose speed on my internet connection. The answers are no and no. If anything, I would say that my internet connection is slightly quicker.
I think I am correct in saying that not all of the dongles despatched are the same make. The one I received is "MicroNext". If anyone else receives the same make do not bother with the installation disc as per the instructions. Doing that just complicates matters. Just insert the dongle and you will be up and running in a few minutes.
Fantastic buy at so cheap a price.

Sony BDVE870 5.1Ch 3D Ready Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Cinema System with Easy iPod Playback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sony Product, 7 Dec. 2010
First of all I was very pleased with the look of the speakers, much slimmer and sleeker than the ones I had. The front tall boys have that black gloss finish to them which nicely match my TV cabinet.

Set up was easy enough although I thought that the automatic calibration using the mic wasn't right so I had to tweak the individual speakers to get the result I wanted. No problem though, it was easily enough done following the on screen menu.

The picture and sound quality is very good but I would have preferred to have separate bass and treble controls rather than the five preset sound modes. Having said that, any of the sound modes, in my opinion, will produce impressive results from blue-rays . Watch out for the sub-woofer, it is loud and very effective.

Playing my iPod through the system gives impressive results. I was a bit unsure about using this function at first as I thought you had to have the blu-ray home screen on view on the TV so I was a bit afraid of screenburn. Happily this is not the case and my music has been given a new lease of life. My personal taste means that I need to increase the treble on the iPod as the preset sound modes are too bassy for me. Great sound though.

I also think that playing TV from the Sky+ through the unit is very good as well. My previous dvd system was not up to the task and never seemed to produce any sound to the rear speakers even when the broadcast was in Dolby Digital. This one is very good and even when the output in LCPM stereo there is still sound from the rear speakers. Not proper surround I know but it is still pleasing to hear. The display will tell you if the output signal is LCPM or DD.

DVD upscaling ranges from average to good. I don't believe any comment when it is said that the upscaling gives as good quality as a blu-ray.

I am not connected to a network so I can't comment on that feature although it would have been nice to have a Wi-Fi connection. I was aware of this before I bought the unit so it is not an issue for me.

Overall, I am very pleased with this home cinema system and cannot fail to give it a maximum 5 out of 5. Superb.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, 22 Dec. 2009
I did a lot of research before purchasing my HDTV. How I wish I researched the HDMI cables. I now know that I was robbed at Currys. The prices they charged me for an HDMI and optical audio cable was obscene. I was charged £70 for the two cables and that was with a bit knocked off. This cable is just what I needed, not too long, unlike some of the cables which were 3 metres long, good quality and above all else - CHEAP.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2010 1:00 PM GMT

LG 50PS3000 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freeview - Black / Titan Silver Trim

5.0 out of 5 stars Caution required but patience will be rewarded, 9 Nov. 2009
I have been trying to decide whether or not to buy this TV for many weeks. Initial reviews on Amazon were very good as you can see if you are now reading this. I looked at other reviews on other sites and although very good in general I noticed a few comments which put me off a bit. The reflective glass and "dust magnet" comments did not bother me but reading about image retention and screen burn did. I think that you have to be very cautious with plasma screens, even the latest generation ones, and I have been given a couple of tips which, hopefully, will eradicate the concerns I mentioned.
The first is to have screen settings for contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness at 50 for the first 100 hours or so to allow the TV to "bed in". Obviously this will initially make the picture very dull but any temptation to change the settings must be avoided. I have had my TV for a week now and the difference already without changing the settings is incredible. Even with the screen naturally becoming brighter and more vibrant there has been no evidence of image retention. Once the initial 100 hours of watching has been reached only minimal tweaking will be required to get my ideal picture.
The second tip is designed to reduce the risk of screen burn. One review I read stated that hours of watching GMTV caused the logo to burn the screen. That was a worry as most stations now have an on screen logo eg Sky Sports. On the remote press menu - options - ISM method and choose "orbital". This apparently makes the pixels move (unseen to the human eye) thereby reducing the risk of screen burn.
So what do I think of this TV. I could not be more pleased. As I stated above, the picture is settling down really nicely and the picture quality is very good indeed. Sport is incredible (but don't expect to see a great picture if you are a fan of the older programmes as shown on UKTV Gold) even without HD so I am really looking forward to this weekend when I get my Sky HD box installed. I was advised that if you like sport and want to watch it on a big screen it has to plasma - not LCD. The 600hz in this TV is also a big advantage.
I have read conflicting reports about the sound. I think the sound is okay from the TV but if you have Sky HD you will benefit from a home cinema system as HD broadcasts are in 5.1. It would be better if all broadcasts were in 5.1 but this is,obviously, not the fault of the TV.
If you are thinking about getting this TV go ahead and enjoy it.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2011 5:56 PM BST