Profile for Career Development Consultant > Reviews

Content by Career Develop...

Career Development Consultant (London, United Kingdom)

Black Red Burlesque Mini Mardi Gras Dress Up TuTu Costume Skirt (UK8. US6. EU38.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy skirt - looks just like the website image, 20 April 2015
Fab skirt - perfect for the fancy dress outfit I needed.

Tales from the Blue Room: An Anthology of New Short Fiction
Tales from the Blue Room: An Anthology of New Short Fiction

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales to transport you - a highly recommended collection!, 23 Oct. 2014
What an enjoyable read! This anthology of new short fiction delights through the precision writing, varied hinterlands, and the odd 'knock-out punch' as an unexpected denouement catches you unawares. There is much to smile about as goats come between languid lovers and 'help the aged' takes on a whole new meaning in Chislehurst. And there are moments of gentle melancholy in the experience of a lonely widow contemplating his own demise and a bereft twin retreating to the midnight sun of Finland to confront memories from her past. All the pleasure of collected short stories is to be found here, with the refreshing difference in styles and settings as one tale succeeds another, combined with the echoes of themes emerging in alternative and sometimes thought-provoking ways. Here's hoping that the blue room continues to provide inspiration for this talented group of authors.

How to Get a Job You Love 2015-2016 Edition
How to Get a Job You Love 2015-2016 Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gets better and better, 21 Sept. 2014
I’m a regular user of John Lees’ publications both for career management work with clients and for thinking about my own development – so I’m already a fan.

The new version of John Lees’ ‘How to get a job you love’ has retained all that was good about previous editions and somehow managed to cram in more insights and resources to help people to think about their careers. With the same accessible style and practical common sense advice as before, ‘How to get a job you love’ has been deftly updated to take in some of the changes to the job market including making the most of social media and dealing with the fall-out of a global recession.

This book isn't just for job-seekers though – the chapter on how to make the most of your first months in a job and how to keep paying attention to your career is particularly useful. I liked the reminder that it is all too easy to take your eye off the ball and then find that you’re back in a rut. ‘How to get a job you love’ can be an emergency manual when your career is in trouble, but it’s just as good to dip into when things seem alright, just to keep them that way.

All in all, highly recommended for career professionals and individuals alike.

Secrets of Resilient People: 50 Techniques to Be Strong: Book (Secrets of Success series)
by John Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously helpful book for increasing resilience at work and in life, 3 Sept. 2014
Another great publication from John Lees. He gets to the heart of the matter with this practical book that helps you to work out how you might be sabotaging your own positivity and then to identify useful tools for reframing the difficulties that you face in work and in life so that you can move forward. The short sections and helpful layout mean that you can either read it cover-to-cover, or focus on a particular challenge at a particular time. The tone of voice is warm and encouraging, but also realistic. I've already recommended it to career coaching clients and I've made use of it myself. Highly recommended.

Looped Ribbon & Feather Fascinator With Gem On Headband Black Ref: 9067
Looped Ribbon & Feather Fascinator With Gem On Headband Black Ref: 9067
Offered by Arranview Jewellery

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated elegance at a great price, 3 July 2014
Arrived really promptly and looks great! Easy to wear and and makes a statement without being over the top. Love it!

Job Interviews: Top Answers to Tough Questions
Job Interviews: Top Answers to Tough Questions
by John Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and accessible - a great resource for interview prep, 17 Jun. 2014
As a career development practitioner I have found this book to be incredibly helpful both for ideas to help clients who are nervous about upcoming interviews and to create engaging workshop materials and career group work sessions. The writing style is accessible for clients in all situations and the advice makes good sense. Highly recommended reading for individuals and professionals alike.

Knockout CV: How to Get Noticed, Get Interviewed & Get Hired
Knockout CV: How to Get Noticed, Get Interviewed & Get Hired
by John Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for job seekers and career professionals, 25 Sept. 2013
I first came across John Lees through his book 'How to choose a job you'll love'and was immediately impressed by the way in which he demonstrates how to make career planning a more straightforward process. I'm equally taken with 'Knockout CV' because I think it is clear that Lees has thoroughly researched the career landscape,to be up-to-date with trends and give a real-world perspective on how to make a success of the challenging experience of job hunting.

In this, as in other publications, the writing style is accessible. The scenarios he draws on are widely applicable and chime with the situations that, in my experience, job seekers typically face. It's comprehensive, but not off-puttingly dense. I think its particular strength, compared to other books I've consulted, is that it enables job seekers to see CVs through a recruiter's eyes - a good example of this is the inclusion of a sample annotated 'unfocused' CV. The book is a highly practical manual with easy-to-follow steps underpinned by a clear rationale - as busy people, we generally all need to be convinced to spend enough time on revamping our CV/job application materials and Lees provides compelling arguments for committing to the various activities that support the development of an effective document/online text. Also, he's not too proud to acknowledge that even a knockout CV isn't appropriate for every job-hunting situation.

If you put 10 career professionals in a room to discuss what makes a good CV, like as not there'll be arguments within the first 10 seconds, but it's hard to disagree with the advice offered in this book which I'd recommend for both job seekers and career consultants as a handy reference tool.

Pink Polka Dot Stylish Flip Case Cover Fits iPhone 4 & 4s + Includes Screen Protector
Offered by JAMMYLIZARD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 30 Sept. 2012
This product exactly suits my needs. I wanted to test out a cover for my new iphone without spending a lot of money as I didn't know what kind of cover would work for me. It is good value and it fits. It grips well when I am holding it so I feel less likely to drop the phone. I've received nice comments about the cheerful design. I am happy with this purchase.

How to Forget
How to Forget
by Marius Brill

5.0 out of 5 stars A rip-roaring yarn that is both funny and clever, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: How to Forget (Hardcover)
I've just finished reading 'How to Forget' by Marius Brill and I found it to be a supremely entertaining book. The plot rattles along at a pleasingly energetic pace and I found myself looking forward to my journey to work so that I could get back to the story of Peter the magician, Kate the grifter, Special Agent Brown of the FBI, the Hasidic Jewish henchmen, and creepy Titus Black. I really enjoyed the many word puns and witty writing style. The inserts about quasi-scientific theories on memory were intriguing. I liked the structure of the book too; a gradual building of clues about each of the characters through flashbacks and sections out of chronological order until it eventually dawns on you why the protagonists are acting as they are. Being transported to Dorset, Paris, New Zealand, Mexico, New York and Islington, among other carefully chosen locales is all part of the fun of this adventurous romp. I found it hard not to read with a smile on my face. Highly recommended.

London Pottery 2 Cup Globe Teapot Pink
London Pottery 2 Cup Globe Teapot Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me!, 20 July 2011
I needed a new small teapot because my previous one bought thirty years ago met with an unfortunate accident on the kitchen tiles. This one from London Pottery fits the bill perfectly. Good size for two cups (as opposed to mugs) of tea. Lid fits well. Like the colour - it matches what you see on screen. I'm tempted to buy some more just for the pleasure of having them on the shelf to look at....