Profile for Nourhan Kay. > Reviews

Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing..., 11 Aug. 2010
This book was a refreshing view from a Muslim perspective, but I think that's the sole reason I would recommend it. In the first maybe 75, 100 pages, (if you're a Muslim [woman]), you'll be nodding your head in approval, and laughing at how Arab culture clashes with religion. Then after that, it just kind of goes downhill. I think what annoyed me the most was the fact that the back of the book implied that this was mainly going to focus on how she was looking for a husband though arranged marriage, when in fact somewhere in the middle she stopped the "arranged marriage" search completely and began dating (and, at one point, online dating and SPEED dating)! As a Muslim, I was shocked. Two people cannot, by any means, dine alone in a restaurant to get to know each other. Dating is not allowed in Islam (unless you have a family member with you, then it wouldn't really be considered dating, would it). Truth be told, I felt extremely disappointed and a little tricked, because I thought the whole point of the book was to find a husband the "Islamic" way without the forbidden ways (such as dating).
The writing itself was no more than average, definitely not up to par with some of the other books I had been reading before it. The main character becomes whiny towards the middle, focusing on ANY minor flaw in her potential suitors. There was one who played a joke on her when they were meeting for the first time (a VERY minor one) which I personally found funny, but she became angry...eh. And when she talked about becoming closer to God, I felt like she was being repetitive and honestly, not helpful.
I don't mean to sound negative and critical, but that's just my take on the book (and I have a friend who was even MORE frustrated with the book than I was). There were definitely some great ideas and funny sarcasm, and I thought that her point of view on 9/11 was really interesting, but by the time I got to the end of the book, I was a little frustrated.