Profile for D. O'Donnell > Reviews

Content by D. O'Donnell

D. O'Donnell (Hythe, Kent)

Page: 1 | 2
Slow Cooking for Yourself: Restaurant quality food ready when you walk through the door!: Restaurant Quality Food-ready When You Walk Through Your Door
by Catherine Atkinson
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically informative, 15 Jun 2014
One thing that this book has done for me is to confirm that there's not much point in owning a slow cooker unless one is planning to be out all day and doesn't mind chopping, slicing and frying early in the morning, since many of the recipes in the book are just as labour intensive as they would be if cooked in a normal oven. That said, the recipes are reasonably tasty & uncomplicated in terms of ingredients needed. The layout of each is comprehensible and the hints concerning reheating and freezing are useful. I agree with the writer who wasn't overjoyed with the perfect binding which prevents the book from being laid out flat. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a small colour section. Even four pages would have helped whet the appetite.

Philomena [Blu-ray]
Philomena [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Philomena - a name to remember, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Philomena [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Anyone who watched the real Philomena being interviewed will know what a courageous and inspiring person she is and Judy Dench's magnificent portrayal of her character is equally courageous and inspiring. The casting of her co-star Steve Coogan playing the part of the journalist, Martin Sixmith, who led Philomena to find her long lost son was something of a surprise to many but the chemistry between these two make a perfect partnership in this emotive and thought provoking story which will enthral you from beginning to end. Be prepared to cry a little but, don't worry, you will laugh too and, at the end of the journey through London, Ireland, New York and finally back to the tranquility of Ireland, you will feel exhausted but uplifted at the same time. This film is definitely a keeper.

Microplane Premium Zester, Black
Microplane Premium Zester, Black
Offered by Get-it-quick
Price: 17.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars in the zest test, 31 Dec 2013
I chose this because I've never owned a zester that zests and the reviews told me that this one would. Usually, one scrapes away only to find the lemon, orange, lime or whatever fruit one is zesting just slides around, producing more skin from ones fingers than zest from the fruit. The fact that it can be held firmly, resting in the receptacle or on the work surface helps a lot, as does the fact that it's narrow so that ones fingers don't come in contact with the zesting surface. No zest is wasted, no excess pith is gathered. It is easily cleaned and dried and can be put away immediately in it's strong plastic sheath, taking up minimum space in the kitchen tool drawer. It's certainly the best zest tool in mine, probably the best tool of all.

Complete Book of Art Ideas (Usborne Art Ideas)
Complete Book of Art Ideas (Usborne Art Ideas)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative genius, 31 Dec 2013
I gave this book four stars because I only skimmed through it before deciding it was suitable for an eleven year old who is going for an art scholarship. According to her family, I should have given it five. She loved it and they loved it because it kept her fully absorbed for the duration of Christmas - no mean feat! I studied art myself and wish this book had been available to me. In fact, I almost kept it because, despite my seventy three years, I still love to learn and this book could teach me so much. It is a treasure trove of information, full of colour, inspiration and exercises all wrapped up in a high quality hard cover which will stand the test of time and usage for many years to come. Your kids will enjoy; you enjoy!

Tagines & Couscous
Tagines & Couscous
by Ghillie Basan
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift if you have a tagine, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tagines & Couscous (Hardcover)
This was a gift so I can only pass on the opinion of the recipient who says it's the best Moroccan cookery book on the market and, I assure you, he's done his research.

Gardeners' World: First Time Veg Grower
Gardeners' World: First Time Veg Grower
by Martyn Cox
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy gift, 16 Sep 2013
Stuck for a stocking filler? This is it. Beautifully presented, this little book is a mine of information for wannabe vegetable growers.
The recipient started work immediately and I've benefited from the best French beans I've ever eaten!

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team
Price: 27.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 14 July 2013
This book is definitely not for beginners so, before spending money on it, consider that you will need to set aside time every day to work through it systematically from beginning to end, class by class. Unless you use Adobe Photoshop in a professional capacity, and are extremely interested in photographic reproduction for print output, I'd forget it. If you are, then I'd say it's brilliant. Personally, I find trial and error the best option.

We'll Meet Again
We'll Meet Again
by Hilary Green
Price: 6.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket., 14 July 2013
This review is from: We'll Meet Again (Paperback)
I chose this book for a friend for her 91st birthday. She absolutely loved it. She said if you liked 'Land Girls', you'll like this. However, having glanced through it myself, I don't think it's just for the elderly but a delightful escape into the love and romance of the war years, well written for readers of all ages.

Buongiorno Italia! CD Language Pack
Buongiorno Italia! CD Language Pack
by Joseph Cremona
Price: 25.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Molto buono, grazie!, 14 July 2013
I've tried a few courses over the years, including evening classes and Linguaphone but Buongiorno Italia is the best I have found. One should have a good command of Italian conversation if one sticks with it to the end as it is systematically structured in such a way that it holds one's interest without going too deeply into the nuances of grammar. In my opinion, one should definitely go for the pack rather than just the book or just the CDs. I am studying on a regular basis with two friends who are complete beginners and, even if we never learn the language, we are thoroughly enjoying the experience. As well as that, competition provides a great incentive for learning. I wish that there was a video DVD available of the original BBC series.

10 Pack of Genuine Exel White Lint Free Microfibre Exel Super Magic Cleaning Cloths For Polishing, Washing, Waxing And Dusting.
Offered by Discounted Cleaning Supplies
Price: 7.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 14 July 2013
When I rinsed the first cloth in water as instructed, I found it had a rather slimy, sticky feel when used wet. It's OK when used dry as a duster. I've since washed the rest in the machine & hope the situation will improve. If not, I'd recommend them to be used as dry cloths only where previous microfibre cloths I have had have been perfectly all right when used wet. The size is good.

Page: 1 | 2