Profile for PL > Reviews

Content by PL

PL

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Service of all the Dead (Inspector Morse Series Book 4)
Service of all the Dead (Inspector Morse Series Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 22 Jan. 2014
I've been reading Morse post Christmas and have enjoyed the previous books. This one is less interesting with long and quite boring passages that almost convinced me to give up. The crimes were confusing and the explanation for them, given in long testimonies was tedious . There was less of Oxford and more of the church than I care for. The only good point really is the fact that Morse seemed willing to lie on oath which gives an interesting insight into his character.

The Dance Of The Seagull: The Inspector Montalbano Mysteries - Book 15
The Dance Of The Seagull: The Inspector Montalbano Mysteries - Book 15

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to retire Montalbano?, 12 Sept. 2013
I've greatly enjoyed the Montalbano series but this was a disappointment. Where once the narrative was fairly straightforward and mostly character driven this seemed unnecessarily convoluted. That the author wrote himself into Montalbano's reflections seems further evidence that the well had run dry. A poor ending for such a fine achievement.

The Anarchist Detective: (Max Cámara 3)
The Anarchist Detective: (Max Cámara 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great detective in the making., 15 Jun. 2013
There were some things about this third Max Camara novel that I found irritating. It seemed unlikely that a recent stroke victim with a speech problem could recount long passages of personal history and I felt the author could think of no other way of delivering the information even though I found it hard to believe. I also felt that there was some confusion between the saffron storyline, the civil war narrative, the murder of his sister and the current murder investigation. I think Webster, whose Duende is a wonderful book has some way to go as writer of fiction if as the cover of this book suggests , he is to be compared to Donna Leon. However, I've given the book 4 stars because Max Camara is a brilliant creation, a complex, intriguing man who, I feel , will continue to develop in interesting ways. So despite my criticism I am already looking forward to Camara's next outing and hope it won't be to long.

Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace series Book 2)
Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead gruesome, 25 April 2013
A bit gory for me but I like Grace and look forward to his next case. I hope his relationship with Cleo continues to develop, he does after all deserve some pleasure in his life.

Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)
Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning, 23 April 2013
I wasn't sure I was going to take to Detective Superintendent Grace and I'm still not sure about his reliance on the supernatural. But in the end I was hooked and I look forward to seeing how he develops.

The Namesake: An Alec Blume Novel (Commissario Alec Blume Book 3)
The Namesake: An Alec Blume Novel (Commissario Alec Blume Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, 19 April 2013
I wasn't sure whether to read this after seeing some of the reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Blume, he sometimes makes Zen seem straightforward and his flaws make him all the more interesting. I'm not sure about Caterina, part of the time she seemed to nag as much as Montalbano' s Lydia and she could become boring. In a way I was sorry it ended as it did, a compromised Blume might have been even more interesting.

Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7)
Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 31 Mar. 2013
I gave up on the Harry Hole books when they became too sadistic for me. Sadly, I decided to give this one a go and quickly became engrossed. Nesbo is a brilliant writer and Harry a great character so the ending has come close to ruining my Easter. Excellent writing but not recommended holiday reading.

A Death in Valencia: (Max Cámara 2)
A Death in Valencia: (Max Cámara 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ, 29 Mar. 2013
Wonderful. Please don't let this be the last we hear of Max Camara. This could be a great series and Camara one of the
classic conflicted European detectives.

Or the Bull Kills You: (Max Cámara 1)
Or the Bull Kills You: (Max Cámara 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ!, 27 Mar. 2013
I was intrigued when I read that the author of the brilliant Duende had turned to crime fiction. I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope this develops into a series because I found both the central character and the detailed descriptions of the cultural significance of the bull fight fascinating.

The Murdered House (Vintage Crime)
The Murdered House (Vintage Crime)

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING, 19 Mar. 2013
This is the most interesting book I've read for a very long time.I found it by accident and took a little time to become engrossed but when I did....all I can say is that it will stay with me. I really recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3