ARRAY(0xa712c660)

Profile for fredthe3rd > Reviews

Content by fredthe3rd

fredthe3rd

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
1000 Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activity Books)
1000 Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activity Books)
by Fiona Watt
Price: 13.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, slightly misleading title, 12 July 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
I'm going to start by saying this is a really good art and crafts book especially for older children (maybe seven or eight +, but teenagers and adults can get a lot from it as well if they want inspiration for creative ideas).

There's a mixture of things to make and ideas for drawing pictures - some of the models will be suitable for younger children with supervision.

The drawing ideas are presented as double page scenes, and although it gives tips on how to draw certain things in a scene (such as a rabbit in a hilly countryside scene), if you're not naturally good at drawing then your results will be disappointing compared with the scenes in the book (a child that can draw well will get more from the book than an adult who can't draw well - i.e. me!)

To get to the misleading title; there are not a thousand activities in this book, closer to 200 or 300 I don't know exactly how many - typically each idea is spread across two pages and there will be bubbles across the page each with one of the numbers from 1-1000, but a lot of these are minor variations on that pages theme. For instance number 473 is making a collage robot and there's a step by step guide, then number 474 is make a robot with square eyes instead of round eyes - it's not very different is it?

I don't want to put anyone off this book, just stop anyone from being disappointed when they order it.

I bought this book in an actual bookshop (remember those?) and looked through it before buying it, saw that there weren't 1000 activities and bought it anyway - because it's absolutely packed with creative ideas most of which can be done without buying loads of specialist material - most things can be done with paper, card, pens and pencils.

I work with children and bought the book for craft ideas at work but I can imagine if you gave this to a slightly older child (maybe 7) who likes art it would be something that would keep them busy for many hours and that they'd potentially get more and more out of for several years after.

The Ecstatic
The Ecstatic
Price: 8.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Just HAD to write a review for this!, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Ecstatic (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it came out in 2009 (Currently four years ago) and I have never grown bored of it!

This is unusual for me, my favourite albums of all time are albums i've become obsessed with over a period of perhaps 6 months at the most and listened to loads of times to the point where I know each song so well that I lose interest.

The albums I consider my favourites... I never listen to them anymore! Perhaps the odd song from them every now then but thats it.

This album's different. It wasn't love at first listen but something about it kept drawing me back for another listen - now four years later I love it and listen to the album in full regularly while using my computer.

I firmly believe this album to be a modern classic.

Gazzillion Ear (Thom Yorke Remix)
Gazzillion Ear (Thom Yorke Remix)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thom Yorke remix, 3 Nov 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
I liked the original so much I downloaded this version, I'm not, not a Radiohead fan but I'm not really into them, and this didn't really do it for me at first, the pregnant pauses had been removed, the music didn't really seem to fit the rhyming...

Then I listened to it on headphones one day and I thought 'Yeaahhhh....'

Down the Rabbit Hole: An Echo Falls Mystery
Down the Rabbit Hole: An Echo Falls Mystery
by Peter Abrahams

4.0 out of 5 stars Awkward..., 3 Nov 2011
So I'm sitting on the bus reading a book I picked up second hand because it had a Stephen King quote on the cover, and it's slowly dawning on me that I'm reading a book aimed at pre-teen girls and I'm praying no one's reading it over my shoulder...

I shiftily snuck it away in my bag, but then I continued reading it when I got home.

It's good! I've read plenty of books aimed at adults I've enjoyed a lot less lets put it that way!

Even though I'm clearly not the market audience for this (late twenties male), I did find myself considering the next book in the series!

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars Split Personality, 2 Nov 2011
This book reminds me of Which Lie Did I Tell? by William Goldman, in that it's part autobiography and part guide to writing (although in Goldman's case writing for the screen and more anecdotes than important life events...).

Anyway my point is that I'd have preferred if they were two separate books. Admittedly that potentially means paying twice as much, but he says that he wouldn't want to write a longer guide to writing than what he has here, so that would be a slim read.

And it would have meant he could have expanded on the autobiography element, which as it stands is too disjointed - and not just because it's broken up by writing tips.

I'm giving this 4 stars but mainly for the autobiography sections.

Dexter season 5
Dexter season 5

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite show, 2 Oct 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Dexter season 5 (DVD)
This is great, if you've watched the first 4 seasons it renders this review a bit pointless - you're going to want to see more.

So instead of raving about it's brilliance I'd like to put forward a theory.

I'm not a Star Trek fan but i've heard the theory that even numbered films in the franchise are good and odd numbered ones are rubbish, i'm starting to see a similar pattern with Dexter.

I'll make it clear from the off that I don't think any season of Dexter is rubbish - far from it, but so far season's 2 and 4 are the two best seasons and the odd numbered seasons just aren't quite so jaw dropping (but still some of the best stuff on TV)

A Collection Of Early Recordings
A Collection Of Early Recordings
Price: 10.68

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is amazing!, 2 Oct 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
I don't know why he isn't better known - he's got a wonderful voice and has written ten glorious songs here.

I've only actually heard of him through an Austrian girl who happened to see a gig of his.

If you're curious about whether you'll like him download Another Brother - I predict you'll be back within a week for the full album.

Apple Wired Mouse - White
Apple Wired Mouse - White
Offered by BEST NUMBER
Price: 39.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Scrolls up not down, 23 July 2011
I bought this second hand. The scroll ball only scrolls up and not down. Tried the cleaning methods suggested by another reviewer and no improvement.

Also I really don't like the feel of the scroll ball under my finger, it;s just too small. I'm going to get a refund.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2012 2:37 AM BST

Portal (PC DVD)
Portal (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy this game!, 22 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Portal (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
This is the best game I've played in a very long time. But in case you are unaware it is also included in a compendium called The Orange Box - which is also available on this site and at time of writing is less than half the price of Portal on it's own.

So more games (Half Life 2 etc), plus the full version of Portal. Even if you're not interested in the other games, it's cheaper.

Oh and don't read too many in depth reviews. This is a game you'll want to be surprised by!

Close Your Eyes [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Close Your Eyes [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Goran Visnjic
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 3.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually..., 22 Jun 2011
I really enjoyed this!

Sure it was silly in places but I thought it was really enjoyable and just creepy enough that I still remember it 9 years later.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5