Profile for Gerry 'M' > Reviews

Sony DJ Style Over-Ear Headphones - Black
Sony DJ Style Over-Ear Headphones - Black
Price: 50.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A real surprise!, 22 Sep 2012
When my venerable BOSE Tri-port headphones finally gave up the ghost I was in a quandry. I couldn't afford a replacement from the current BOSE line-up and I had no idea what alternatives were in the market place, so I delved into the Amazon Headphone section and started reading the reviews. The Sony Headphones caught my eye because of the consistently high ratings given by purchasers and the 'good-value' price (+ free delivery of course....!). It was definitely one of my better decisions to buy a pair. Great design; comfortable to wear and - most important - amazing sound quality. In fact, it was like hearing some of my classical CDs for the first time, in that some of my age related hearing loss appeared to be cancelled out. In other words my expectations were exceeded by a mile and I would recommend these headphones to anyone seeking good performance at a sensible price.

Microsoft Office Word 2010 QuickSteps
Microsoft Office Word 2010 QuickSteps
by Martin S. Matthews
Price: 8.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable reference book, 17 Aug 2012
I learned my lesson when I bought Word 2002 and acquired one of the 'For Dummies' volumes, which I found invaluable. Upgrading to Word 2010 with a new computer recently, I did not hesitate to assess the comparable literature available today and, by reading the helpful reviews on Amazon, decided that Marty Mathews has written the best option for me. Logical, well laid out and profusely illustrated in colour, it is an easily accessible reference tool, which has provided a 'step by step' solution to all the problems I've encountered so far. Books like this are confidence builders and I need all the help I can get!

Epson Stylus Sx435W All-In-One Printer with High Speed Wifi (Print, Copy, Screen and Scan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but beautifully formed, 29 Jun 2012
This is my third (and smallest) Epson printer and, probably, the best. Compact, easy to use and very good results for scanning, copying and printing. Photos, in particular, are impressive. The ink cartridges are comparatively small and I cannot (yet) comment on their longevity. Extrememly good value and a very prompt delivery (as ever!)

Philips PowerTouch Pro PT920 Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Travel Pouch
Philips PowerTouch Pro PT920 Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Travel Pouch
Price: 89.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort & Speed, 6 May 2012
I have owned several electric shavers over the past 30 years and with one exception all were Philips. The one exception was my last shaver which was a Remington, which was not bad for the money, but it was wearing out and I thought I would return to Philips - tempted by their new PowerTouch range. The new technology is an eye-opener and I can honestly say I have never experienced such a light, quiet, vibrationless shaver with such a long battery life (Hurrah for Li-Ion). Using a good pre-electric shave lotion I get a fast, comfortable close shave in a couple of minutes and a quick wash under the cold tap leaves the shaver clean and ready for the next shave (once dry of course!). Usual fast delivery from Amazon and an unbeatable price. One criticim - the instruction leaflet relies entirely upon small pictures which blur into a confusing sameness, but this is probably an attempt to follow the precept that one picture is worth a thousand words and avoids the necessity for numerous translations.
Update - Couldn't believe that I got just over 7 weeks daily shaving from the first charge and the shaving experience got better and better! Highly recommended.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Burgundy Red (will only fit Kindle Keyboard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Care for your kindle, 24 Feb 2012
I must admit having reservations over the necessity to purchase a fairly expensive leather cover for my kindle, but I'm glad I yielded to impulse and 'ticked the box'. I don't think I'm overstating the case by saying that the kindle without the cover is much diminished in practicality and even desirability. My advice is to buy a cover as a long term investment - I dont think you will regret it.

Red [DVD]
Red [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Oldies but goodies, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Red [DVD] (DVD)
There is vicarious pleasure to be experienced by watching a group of 'senior citizens' (like myself) who just happen to be retired CIA 'wet workers....' being forced from their well earned retirements to 'kick ass' - or die! A believable cast and Helen Mirren is a revelation - especially when operating a .50 calibre machine gun in a parking garage (Not very 'Queen'like). Plenty of action and narrow escapes in a very enjoyable film which doesn't take itself too seriously.
Good viewing for a family with over 12s.

Knight and Day [DVD]
Knight and Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 3.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced fun, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Knight and Day [DVD] (DVD)
A thoroughly entertaining, action packed romp that doesn't take itself too seriously. The special effects are particularly impressive and the cast is well chosen. Don't bother trying to unravel the plot - just go with the flow and enjoy!

Chopin: Piano Concerto No.1 - 4  Nocturnes - Ballade No.1 - Polonaise No.6
Chopin: Piano Concerto No.1 - 4 Nocturnes - Ballade No.1 - Polonaise No.6
Price: 7.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of a 6th star!, 16 Jan 2012
Why has it taken so long for me to find out this disc existed? Thank you David Mellor for the mention of it in your erudite review on Pollini at 70! I have long enjoyed Pollini's complete set of the Beethoven Piano concertos - reckoned to be one of the best ever - but his Chopin interpretations at the age of 18 (for me at least) enter a new dimension. The digitally remastered recordings are brilliant and Pollini's technique is totally assured and faultless. This is most definitely a 'MUST HAVE' compilation at a bargain price.

Perahia Plays Handel and Scarlatti
Perahia Plays Handel and Scarlatti
Price: 7.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing!, 16 Jan 2012
I have many recordings made by Perahia over the years. All are brilliant but his Handel/Scarlatti interpretations are truly exceptional. Not only is his technical prowess unsurpassed, he has managed to capture the true essence of the items played; bearing in mind that they were originally written for the harpsicord. I did not know this disc existed until I heard the 'Harmonious Blacksmith' movement played on Classic FM, which prompted me to place an order. I consider this to be a 'must have' item and would recommend it to any music lover who appreciates technical brilliance and outstanding musical intelligence/sensitivity. Truly 'Mind Blowing'!

Blue and Old Gold: The History of the British South Africa Police 1889-1980 (Police Security Services)
by Peter Gibbs

5.0 out of 5 stars A monumental achievement, 5 April 2011
A collaborative effort of real distinction. A slice of scholarly history with a very human face, which will ensure that this fine Police Force will not be forgotten. All involved in ensuring that this book made it to publication in such an excellent format should be congratulated.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5