Profile for Laura Grant > Reviews

Content by Laura Grant

Laura Grant "gater101" (Scotland)

A Lion Among Men (Wicked Years 3)
A Lion Among Men (Wicked Years 3)
by Gregory Maguire

3.0 out of 5 stars Year 3, 3 Mar 2010
After reading Wicked and Son of a Witch in quick succession, I was again pleasantly surprised by the tale spun in A Lion Among Men. Bringing us back to the Cowardly Lion and how he got the name, Maguire uses Mother Yackle as a supernatural but not altogether 'bad' character. More secrets about Liir and Elphaba are realised and it's enough to make you squirm in your seat as you will, undoubtedly, wait impatiently for the next turn of the page.

A must read.

The Forward Book of Poetry 2010
The Forward Book of Poetry 2010
by Josephine Hart

3.0 out of 5 stars Innovative, 3 Mar 2010
Innovative new poetry that's good for anyone who's interested in what is happening in the world of poetry now. A mixture of newcomers and already published poets that shouldn't be missed by anyone who wants to read poetry but doesn't know where to start.

Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems (Penguin Modern Classics)
Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Allen Ginsberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Class Requirement but partook in more than required reading, 3 Mar 2010
I had to buy this book for my post-modernism class. Having never read any of Ginsbgerg's work before I didn't know what to expect. 'Howl' was the reason I bought it and while the whole poem has that air of depression about it, there's also a great deal of humour. 'Kaddish' had me moved to tears, as I guess was the point of it. As a whole, a great collection of Ginsbgerg's poems with good introductions and forewords. Interesting poetry to work on, from a linguistics point of view as well.

Key Concepts in Politics (Palgrave Key Concepts)
Key Concepts in Politics (Palgrave Key Concepts)
by Andrew Heywood

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 17 Oct 2006
I bought this book when I was waiting for the funds to purchase Political Theory by the same author. I found that reading "Key Concepts" helped me understand a lot of the terminology in the bigger book.

I would recommend this book as a companion to anyone who is going to purchase Political Theory, it really helped me =)

Thoughtcrimes [2003] [DVD]
Thoughtcrimes [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Navi Rawat
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought Crimes, 6 Nov 2004
This review is from: Thoughtcrimes [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
As a huge Joe Flanigan (Brendan Dean) fan, I was rather excited to see this movie: and I wasn't disappointed. His acting was at it's usual best, making viewers laugh and empathise with his character.
However... the lead, Freya McAllister, I'm sorry to say was rather disappointing. She seemed to overact every single detail - right down to basic breathing. Though I must admit, she was really pretty and was sure to gain viewers (much like Joe Flanigan... though I'm not sure 'pretty' works for him... ;)) However, I didn't turn off the movie and persevered throughout and did find that it was enjoyable.
It seems as though there should be "And next week on 'Thought Crimes' as it did seem quite like a pilot to a new series, but as it stands it just a stand alone movie.
An enjoyable movie, but don't count too much on the acting skills of the lead. The supporting actors however, were what made this movie what it was.