Profile for R. Clyne > Reviews

Content by R. Clyne

R. Clyne "Rachael Clyne" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
What the Horses Heard
What the Horses Heard
by Rebecca Gethin

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting and gripping read, 4 July 2014
This review is from: What the Horses Heard (Paperback)
Rebecca Gethin writes about World War 1 from a different angle, the brutal involvement not only of thousands of horses but also that of women who cared for them. She draws her characters sympathetically especially the feisty heroine Cass, whose escapade disguised as a lad, follows the horses in her care all the way to the front. That a woman got so near to action and was accused of being a spy, seemed so outlandish that she was confined to a psychiatric hospital for a time. An interesting and gripping read.

The Last Green Field
The Last Green Field
by Shirley Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Last Green Field (Paperback)
Shirley Wright's book of poems around the theme of time is full of, acutely observed relationships and landscapes. She combines the colloquial with the poetic in her choice of words and images to weave her own unique take on the world. Childhood, marriage in decline, bereavement, sense of places visited from Calanais to Beijing, Chew Valley Lake to the Somme: all topics for her take on things. Neatly constructed and presented, full of half rhymes you can relish. And through her work we find our own references

Bardo
Bardo
by Roselle Angwin

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking and inspirational, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bardo (Paperback)
I have done some of Roselle's courses and feel attuned to her interests: Zen Buddhist spirituality, love of landscape and artist's eye. I am however unfamiliar with prose poetry so was intrigued to read this collection. After only the first few pages I found myself recalling and spontaneously writing a series of poems about retreats I have experienced. Roselle manages to bridge her different interests so well in her use of space on the page with line endings and gaps, that point to being in the moment and a keen visual eye. She employs keen observation and originality of images to express our inextricable relationship to the living landscape and animal nature in such pieces as: 'Wolf Sutra','January's Full Moon is called the Wolf Moon'. It is also explored at length in 'Entering the Wood'and 'This is our time', both longer pieces of very short stanzas. I admire her courage in dispensing with regular stanzas and letting her lines seem to scatter at random yet obviously done with careful consideration. Roselle genuinely wants us to experience our connectedness and compassionate response to the planet and to life and my soul and mind certainly felt nourished by this book. She does darma well.

The Mara Crossing
The Mara Crossing
by Ruth Padel

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Mara Crossing (Hardcover)
I had to restrain myself from reading too much in one go, so I could digest each chapter and make the experience last longer. It is indeed a flowing, fact filled meditation on so many aspects of migration from cells to insects, birds, marine and land animals, as well as people. One tiny example I hadn't known, is of the daily vertical migration of jellyfish from the deep ocean to the surface. It spans ancient to contemporary history including stark tales of today's immigration issues and the treatment of those seeking a 'better life'. It describes the many reasons for migration as well as the means. How Ruth Padel does this in such concise yet eloquent language makes it a masterpiece. Her knowledge of biology, and the different examples she uses could fill a dissertation. I learned so much and my imagination took flight. I found her prose as lyrical as her poetry. Each chapter ends with several poems on the theme of that chapter. Her final poem 'Time to Fly' is a moving summary of the drive to migrate. I have now bought several copies to give as gifts.

How to Find Your Self Without Looking
How to Find Your Self Without Looking
by Geoffrey Windham

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic witty take on enlightenment, 29 Aug 2012
If you're looking for a fresh take on enlightenment, Zen, Taoism and all that, this is a book for you. Geoffrey strikes again with his unique take on the nature of the self (or no-self). He draws on teachers and poets such as Lao Tsu, Kabir and Werner Erhard and writes memorable lines such as: 'Nothingness ...does not do, does not own is not owned - Form: all the galaxies, the bin at the back of the fast food restaurant, a baby's smile, a skid mark in God's pants.' OR 'The Big God seems to have gone silent, but the little ones in my head more than make up for it.' I know Geoffrey as a genuine and deep thinking guy who loves his ordinary life or as he puts it, ' Another strange day on planet Earth'.

The Other Hand
The Other Hand
by Chris Cleave

3.0 out of 5 stars poignant, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
A painful story no doubt attempting to educate us about the truth behind so many asylum seekers lingering in detention centres. A story of survival and transcendence over survival. Not an easy read but very well written nonetheless. It is easy to want to shut one's ears to the iniquities of human exploitation and to feel a sense of powerlessness alongside well meaning do-goodery.

Somewhere Towards the End
Somewhere Towards the End
by Diana Athill

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and profound, 5 Sep 2010
I only dscovered Diana Athill through a recent BBC documentary about her and immediately persuaded my book group to have the book as our read of the month. She is indeed a remarkable woman who has lived a rich life on her own terms - rare for a woman of her generation. At the age of 89, her attitude towards aging and death is intelligent and unflinching; her writing is faultless - not surprising from one of the major literary editors of the twentieth century. Her use of language has an eloquence belonging to a more literary era than the present day and yet her thinking is contemporary and personal especially in describing her sexual relations. I had the feeling of her speaking to me individually. A short book filled with wisdom and experience. In some ways it reminds me of some of George Orwell's writing. I can't wait to read her other books.

Counting the Stars
Counting the Stars
by Helen Dunmore

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Counting the Stars (Paperback)
I love Helen Dunmore's writing, she seems to be able to get under the skin of her characters and give them psychological depth. However I was disappointed with this book which I persuaded our book groups to chose for its book of the month. I found the characters unsympathetic and the plot unsatisfactory especially compared to books such as "The Seige". We attended a discussion with the author at a literary festival and I found her comments about the characters, her lifelong fascination with the poet more interesting than the book itself.

Ukraine (Bradt Travel Guides)
Ukraine (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Andrew Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful appetiser, 12 Aug 2010
Anticipating the journey is half the fun - you start to build a picture in your mind of the places you will be visiting. You wonder which restaurants you fancy eating in and what your hotels will be like, and how it will be to go on an overnight train from the Crimea. It feels a bit premature to review this book before testing its information in situ. However it has really helped me to prepare for what will be a lifetime adventure - retracing my family roots. I have been able to visit places in my imagination and feel a little familiar with this distant land. Perhaps I should write a second review on my return in a few weeks time - meanwhile I feel armed with lots of useful information which is well laid out, accessible and I'm ready to roll.

Humax Freeview playback Digital TV Recorder PVR-9150T 160GB Twin Tuner PVR
Humax Freeview playback Digital TV Recorder PVR-9150T 160GB Twin Tuner PVR

2.0 out of 5 stars frustration, 29 April 2010
I've had a humax tv for some yrs and really appreciate its reliability. I expected the same of the 9150T, but this "award winning" pvr frustrated me to the point where I returned it. It may have sophisticated applications, but basic functions like a guide that can take 30mins to populate (despite following advice to tune to bbc on standby) for you to set a programme to record, and a remote that frequently sticks for up to 15secs are unacceptable in this technological age. These faults are endemic as I found by talking to friends and reading customer reviews. I gather humax are trying to resolve software issues but meantime I am happy with a less prestigous make that does what I want when I want it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2010 5:19 PM BST