Profile for Bethi > Reviews

Content by Bethi

Bethi "Bethi" (East Anglia)

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Price: 3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't make my mistake, 10 Mar 2014
This novel is my Book Club's read for March. Sadly, I read the 'Introduction' and quite honestly it took away any desire I had to read on. Where is the sense in revealing the whole plot line, before the reader has read even the opening sentence? I learned long ago not to read the back cover of a book, so - still on a learning curve, I shall now ignore Introductions too! My 2 stars relates to the Introduction only.

The Universe Versus Alex Woods
The Universe Versus Alex Woods
by Gavin Extence
Price: 8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Ten, 9 Oct 2013
Amazon have asked for my opinion, but I think I've previously left a comment on someone else's review, so this is brief. I am in my mid- 70's and have read thousands of novels. This book I would rate in my personal Top Ten of all time reads. By about page 4 I was laughing out loud - the story developed to cover such an amazing range of emotions and I found the characters totally rounded and believable. If I were able to give it 10 stars, I would. Hurry up with another, please, Mr Extence.

Uno Card Game
Uno Card Game
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT
Price: 6.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted, easy card game, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Uno Card Game (Toy)
This was despatched to me from China. Arrived quickly, well packed, and with a very pleasant accompanying letter. It is a gift, for a 10 year boy, that I haven't yet passed to him, but I know it will be well received. UNO is a fun game, for young and old alike. Recommended.

Skagen Women's Gold Tone Mesh Band Watch 358SGGD
Skagen Women's Gold Tone Mesh Band Watch 358SGGD
Offered by Oxford W
Price: 75.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 27 Jan 2012
I am happy with my purchase of this watch. It is quite stylish and it has a good clear face: the adjustable strap, and the buckle, are good. Value for money in my opinion.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James
Price: 7.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled, 27 Jan 2012
I was sadly disappointed by this book. It is difficult to imagine how a writer of P D James' standing came to make such an error of judgement. The cast of my favourite novel have been hard used. None of the characters rang true as being a continuation of the lives depicted by Jane Austen. No wit or sparkle from Elizabeth. No magnetism or power from Darcy. All two-dimensional and totally unconvincing. The passing introduction of characters from other Austen novels also seemed very amateurish and pointless to me. Sadly,I think many readers will find this book a very poor read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 12:21 AM BST