Profile for Patricia Boyce > Reviews

Patricia Boyce

The French Menu Cookbook
The French Menu Cookbook
by Richard Olney

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't agree more: look for the earlier edition, 20 Jan. 2011
I bought this in error - didn't check enough on the contents and realised I have an earlier hardback edition.

Can only agree enthusiastically with all the other comments about the absence of proof reading - even only flicking through it to realise that I already owned it I found multiple glaring errors.

The flick through reminded me just how much cooking styles have changed. When I was originally given this, I found everything (except, curiously the orange jelly made from scratch) too difficult or too impossible to contemplate. Now, I look at the menus and think, yes, we ate that last week, although I rely less on carbohydrate than Mr Olney does for dessert.

So, very important, but look for an earlier edition.

A Presumption of Death
A Presumption of Death
by Dorothy L Sayers

1.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort?, 30 Jan. 2003
This review is from: A Presumption of Death (Hardcover)
It's difficult to imagine a more thankless task than taking on the burden of recreating much loved fictional characters long after their creator's death, as the principal audience is likely to be people with their own, longstanding views about the characters. I'd admit to falling into this category. Having acknowledged that, however, I found this book more disappointing than its predecessor.
The earlier "collaboration" between Jill Paton Walsh and Dorothy Sayers to my eye owed much of its vitality and richness to those parts of the text substantially similar to other, earlier material by Dorothy Sayers. This "collaboration" has neither. Lord Peter Wimsey is a pale, wan character, while the former Harriet Vane appears to have been arrested in her development, making gauche and embittered responses in a series of exchanges that are surprisingly unsophisticated. Helen, the Duchess, is now a devitalised villian, bought on to be booed from the stalls. The Wimseys display a remarkable, if unpersuasive conversion to middle class values, while the Duke appears to be on the way to proto-socialism.
Worth the effort? If there's to be a further "collaboration", I won't be buying it...