Profile for acb > Reviews

Content by acb

acb "alibali" (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
by JoŽl Dicker

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't., 20 Aug. 2015
It may be down to being a bad translation but this is one of the worst books I have read for a very long time. I persevered to the end, thinking that is must get better but it really didn't. The central plot is the murder of a young girl and her relationship with a much older author - the main narrative centres around clearing the author's name when he is accused of murder but then seems to ignore the fact that he's taken advantage of a young girl and is therefore not a hero in any sense. In any case, the love story is implausible, the characters are universally inauthentic, the dialogue is appalling (high count of ! on every page) and the plot just takes turns for the sake of it. If you do buy this book, and you don't enjoy the first few chapters, just stop as it's not worth persevering with.

Jergens Skin Firming Daily Toning Moisturizer 496 ml (Pack of 3)
Jergens Skin Firming Daily Toning Moisturizer 496 ml (Pack of 3)
Offered by OTCFORYOU

5.0 out of 5 stars ... when researching a much more expensive cream and I love it. I'm not sure about firming claims but ..., 30 May 2015
I came across this on a beauty blog when researching a much more expensive cream and I love it. I'm not sure about firming claims but it leavesy skin looking great, even post holiday.

panache Women's Full Cup Plain Sports Bra, Black, Size: 32F
panache Women's Full Cup Plain Sports Bra, Black, Size: 32F

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what's needed, 30 May 2015
Complete convert from shock absorber - fits as expected wit my normal bra size (shock absorber sizing is a complete lottery in my experience) and, for a sports bra with plenty of support, it's actually quite flattering.

VicTsing Power Supply Charger Converter Cable Adapter For Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 0B47046
Offered by VICTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for X240, 12 April 2015
Small and neat and allows me to use HP/dell chargers at home with my work laptop, rather than trailing the Lenovo charger from the office.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 12 Feb. 2015
Well written, with plenty of twists and turns. The characterisation of the lead is compelling, although all the characters are somewhat exaggerated for effect and suggest the final outcome.

Lonely Planet Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands (Travel Guide)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 16 Jan. 2015
Not great on kindle

Mosi-Guard Natural Insect Repellent Cream 100ml
Mosi-Guard Natural Insect Repellent Cream 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Discovered in Africa and works., 17 Jun. 2014
We discovered this on a safari trip as our guide said that it was the only thing that kept the Tsetse flies away. I'm not sure if this is the case (I wasn't that bothered by them but my boyfriend really was so I think it's more to do with skin type and pheromones...!) but it is the nicest mosi repellent I've used - absorbs easily and I used it in place of a post-sun moisturiser on a recent trip to the Caribbean.

Think Like a Freak: Secrets of the Rogue Economist
Think Like a Freak: Secrets of the Rogue Economist

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concepts but very repetitive, 17 Jun. 2014
As with previous "freak" books, the concepts are interesting and prompt you to think again about the issues that are raised things. However, the authors really labour the point and most chapters could have been condensed considerably which would have helped the flow and pace. By the end of it, I was done.

Vanish Oxi Action Extra Hygiene Stain Remover Powder, 940 g
Vanish Oxi Action Extra Hygiene Stain Remover Powder, 940 g
Offered by British Essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Never give up..., 2 Mar. 2014
I was about to throw out 2 large white linen tablecloths and 12 matching napkins which had huge and stubborn 10 year old red wine stains (messy New Year's Eve) when I thought I'd just have one last attempt at getting rid of the marks. Soaked in this stuff for a few hours - good as new. I tried everything I could think of at the time to remove the stains and they've been stored in a cupboard since (well, 3 cupboards as they've also moved houses 3 times). Now back in active use thanks to Vanish.

The Angels' Share
The Angels' Share
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A completely unbiased review from an exiled Scot, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Angels' Share (Amazon Video)
If you love Scotland, whisky or just (mainly) light-hearted comedy with amazing scenery, this is for you. It's like train spotting for nice people.

Page: 1 | 2