Profile for Judith Herdman > Reviews

Content by Judith Herdman

Judith Herdman "The world is your oyster, not your rubbish bin." (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque (For Dry, Damaged Hair) - 250ml/8.5oz
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque (For Dry, Damaged Hair) - 250ml/8.5oz
Offered by ML BEAUTY

4.0 out of 5 stars Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque, 16 May 2013
What it says: Revitalizing hair re-constructor for dry, damaged hair.

How to use: Liberally comb through clean, wet hair and allow up to 7 minutes of penetration before rinsing. No heat necessary. Deep Repair Mask is an intensive treatment. Use no more than twice a week.

I had a soft wave permed into my hair the other week, and got it done on the same day as I got my hair dyed red, so as you can probably tell, my hair terribly over processed. It could be a good thing, as the best reviews always come about when a product is tested on something that needs it. You see all these commercials on television where, for example, 88% of 190 women agree with whatever is being tested, and if said product is anti-wrinkle cream, why on Earth do they advertise it being used on women who don't need it?!

If this Macadamia repair mask had been used on someone whose hair is in tiptop condition, then how would they know if it worked? Sure, they could testify the living daylights and have everyone feel their hair, but in order to get a true idea of how well it works, a product must be used on what it is born to do.

Anyhoo, when I first looked at the conditioner in the tub, it looked like a run-of-the-mill product that you would buy for half price in a drug store. The consistency starts off quite thin when on your fingers (yes, I stuck my digits right into it!), but rapidly thickens up on application to your hair. There seems to a bit of 'silkiness' to it which reminds me, in a way, of creamy eyeshadow.

The colour of it is very pretty indeed. It’s pearlescent and catches the light so beautifully, and it's that prettiness draws you closer in order to get better acquainted, which leads me to my next point.

The scent of it, however, laid to rest my feelings of having wasted my money on a name. The fragrance was macadamia from start to finish, and if you know how much it takes to get even a few ounces of macadamia oil, you will understand what I mean. In a run-of-the-mill half price conditioner, you might get either a miniscule hint of the main ingredient, or you get an overwhelming bunch of chemicals that make your eyes water.

Macadamia has nature from start to finish, so you know that it isn't just writing on a pretty little tub, and that macadamia really is the main (and active) ingredient. This gorgeous, natural scent not only lasts, but it also carries. I had a couple of people stop me in Sainsbury to ask me what perfume I was wearing! If that wasn't enough of an ego boost, then hearing from a rather handsome fella that my hair had caught his eye really was.

I was still sniffing my hair as I snuggled up in bed! I truly do love it with all my heart. Before I get anymore carried away, I must talk about how the product performs. As it’s for dry/damaged hair, my hair is probably the best test run Macadamia will ever get.

The tub said to "liberally comb through" and I followed the instructions to the T. I began working it through the ends with my fingertips first just to get a covering before going in with the comb. My hair was so dry, I had to use a wide-toothed comb to get most of the tangles out, and then used a standard comb. I left it to work for five minutes or so, and then applied to the roots.

There's a marked difference in consistency, which is expected. It seems to become thicker and creamier when you begin to comb and work it through your hair. In the same way you can feel shampoo cleansing your hair, you can feel this Masque getting down and deep as it does what it says on the tin.

What pleased me about this was the complete lack of the tacky and clogging feeling some conditioners can have, it is also neither runny or gooey. Long story short, the consistency is almost exact.

As you might imagine, my severely processed hair would tangle several inches before the ends, and when that happens, you know it’s in bad shape. No way, I thought, no way could a conditioner, even one as intensive as this, make a difference in one single application.

I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life!

My poor, distressed hair commanded me to use it within ten minutes of opening the package. Yes, I was an eager little bunny! I first washed with Matrix Biolage Colourtherapie shampoo, which I also purchased around the same time, for which there will be a review posted at the weekend.

There is a noticeable difference immediately after rinsing. It felt much, much softer against my cheeks, while the dry ends didn't irritate the nape of my neck or make my neck itch like usual. It truly feels absolutely gorgeous and I can’t stop touching it. Another bonus is how my waves are much more defined now that the hair is getting some much needed nourishment.

The Matrix Biolage Color Care Intensive Conditioning Mask did in four weeks what Macadamia did in seven minutes. Oh, I know it could be a one-off and I got lucky, but when my hair was still wet over half hour later, and my fingers ran through it with no sign of tangles.

My hair is soft and still very dry at the ends, but that will be fixed with a little TLC. There is also a shine to it that’s been missing for a long, long time, and I feel as though I'm finally getting myself back on track after the boxing match with ill health the last few years.

The downside is the price. While it's often said that "You get what you pay for" and in some cases, it's true, but spending £21.50 on a conditioner? The price is extremely steep and spending what is essentially a weeks' worth of groceries cannot be justified by saying "I have dry hair."

I love this product, I really do, and it works wonderfully, but...

£21.50 is just too much for anything other than that rare treat you allow yourself on your birthday, and Christmas. Though if you can afford to use it regularly, then you won't find a much better conditioner on the market.

Blue Banana - Teal Figure Hugging Halter Neck Top Size 12
Blue Banana - Teal Figure Hugging Halter Neck Top Size 12
Offered by Blue Banana

5.0 out of 5 stars Teal Figure Hugging Halter Neck Top, 16 May 2013
Firstly, I want to tackle a minor issue, so why am I mentioning it if it was minor? Because of the incredible customer service I received.

The first top I received had a few stitches that came loose just underneath the left breast. I reported this immediately and Blue Banana responded in under 24 hours to say they had already dispatched me a new one. That level of service is missing from a lot of companies these days, but Blue Banana obviously has a handle on it, so well done, Blue!

Now for the top itself:

I have to admit that I was a bit dubious about getting a garment advertised as 'figure hugging'. At 4'11 and not quite six stone in weight, I don't have much of a figure to hug! However, broad shoulders and good bust are genetically gifted to me from my maternal side, so a size 12 is necessary to accommodate all that comes with being a hearty small town girl.

I confess my statistics so those of you who likewise have a fuller upper body can rest easy in knowing this top is a good fit.

The top is cut in such a way that give a more toned, more solid appearance to softer bodies, and it also makes you feel just that little bit sexier. That, my dear ladies, is never to be sniffed at!

The material is so very soft against the skin and as it is a stretchy sort of fabric, there is plenty of room for movement, which comes in pretty handy when you're in a wheelchair. It's also very comfortable around the neck and shoulder area, as the straps provide enough length to get it just right. I tend to favour halter neck tops for this reason, so I've tried quite a few, and one thing I've noticed is that many of them either make the nape of your neck sore and itchy from friction.

It was a happy day indeed when that never happened. I wore this top for ten hours straight and not once did I feel any irritation, soreness, or anything unpleasant. Of course my neck did have a little warmth to it, but that happens with most halter necks, and the stretchy movement of the straps allowed for easily sorting that out. Those straps are also strong, so you can tie them nice and tight, and feel confident that they won't untangle themselves while you're in the middle of a crowded room. Plus, it will make things quite difficult for a cheeky young lad sneaking up behind you in an attempt to untie them.

There's some ruching around the stomach area, which is good news if you have something to show for your grocery money! The toner appearance I mentioned earlier comes into full effect here, and I am so pleased it does. Being in a wheelchair doesn't allow for exercising much of anything besides the arms and upper torso. As such, my abdominal muscles are in a permanent state of neglect, which basically means I have quite a gut on me!

Trust me when I say the ruching on this top is perfectly placed and has just the right amount of it, meaning it doesn't get close enough to the bust in order to minimise the girls or give you an unflattering shape. Sounds good, yes? That's because it is good. Fantastic, if I'm honest.

Bright and vibrant colours have a youthful essence about them, don't they? By that I mean they wouldn't look out of place on a cute and pretty sundress adorning the figure of a carefree 20-year-old. If you're like me, however, who prefers the darker, deeper end of the spectrum, then you will have a pleasant surprise. The colour is described as teal and the picture shows it to be a shade of teal that's a little on the vibrant side. The top itself is more of a forest green than a teal, and the darker shade suits the top so much better.

I often find darker shades to be a lot more versatile than the bright ones. Bright colours are pretty and they have a way of invigorating you, but they belong to sunshine and sand, whereas darker tones can be used any time.

So in a nutshell: We have a halter neck top that doesn't irritate the neck, is well cut in lovely soft material, gives you a fabulous figure that you feel down to your very bones, and is a gorgeous shade of forest green.

You get all of this for a mere £22.99.

I would say more, but if you will excuse me, I need to go buy this in red...

VIBOX Apache Package 9 - 4.0GHz Six Core, Advanced, Desktop Gaming PC, Computer Complete Full Package Including: 2x Top Games, Windows 8.1 Operating System, 22" Monitor, Headset, Gamer's Keyboard & Mouse Set AND a Neon Green Internal Lighting Kit (New 4.0GHz AMD FX 6300 Fast Six 6-Core Processor, 2GB AMD Radeon R9 270 Graphics Card, Raijintek Aidos CPU Fan Cooler, High Grade 500W PSU, 2TB Hard Drive, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM)
Offered by Vibox Ltd
Price: £1,274.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibox Apache Package 9, 26 Feb 2013
I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll just start babbling and hope I make sense!

The first thing that arrived was the monitor. A 22 inch, LCD screen that comes with a base which is simple to set up and has a beautifully clear screen that doesn't flicker or anything which spells badness. However, when the actual PC arrived (more on that in a moment) and we connected the monitor to it, all that kept coming up on screen were the words No Signal. It took quite a while for us to figure out that the colour coded connection points weren't where the monitor needed to go. My friend can explain it better, so I'll update when I get the info off him. Needless to say, it was a little puzzling.

The tower itself is... Well, the inner geek in me, who is currently addicted to Avengers, automatically screamed out "HULK!" When the tower came alive and believe me, it does come alive. The look of the tower has this shape to it that my friend called sexy, which was then preceded by a certain F word when he saw no screws were needed to add in an extra drive. Where things like that are concerned, the tower is easy to read. Since it's a gaming PC, it's a little bigger than the standard office setup, but it isn't ridiculously huge and so there's plenty of room to house it, although the desk I bought needs to have a shelf removed in the tower part to accommodate it.

I can't comment on the bits inside the tower, such as the graphics card and whatnot, as my thoughts are "If they work, great!" but what I can comment on is how much trouble I don't get when playing. My Skyrim arrived today and so of course that needed to go straight in, and wow. That's it. Wow. It was smooth, the clarity was crystal clear, and I can't even begin to think of how this game would look and feel on a less capable machine. I know Warcraft doesn't require much to run and play, but there's a dramatic difference with this gear.

I fully realise that I'm not doing this lot justice (I normally review cosmetics LOL), so I'll wrap it up. If you need a PC, be it package or tower, then go with Vibox. They've got some good stuff, so don't disregard because they're an unknown company, which is what I was going to do and so very pleased I didn't. They are truly excellent machines and they also double up as ambient lighting! Last night after my friend left, I whacked on Avengers, switched the light off, and the green light from the tower provided this lovely little atmosphere!

Suffice to say if you're in need of something like this, Vibox is the one to go with.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 5:52 AM BST

Piranha Large Black Computer Desk with 2 Drawers and 4 Shelves for the Home Office PC 5g
Offered by Piranha Trading Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Computer Desk, 23 Feb 2013
Being in a wheelchair, it's a bit of a pain to find a work desk that doesn't have a shelf where you sit and the ones that can be found sometimes lack solid structure, sound material and have wrong screws, parts etc. My laptop is dying and I have been desperately trying to find a good, well made desk that would be strong enough to hold a desktop and its 22 inch monitor, that comes with some drawers, had a nice place for the tower and one that didn't have a shelf.

This cropped up in the middle of a dodgy looking slim work station and a big giant monstrosity that wouldn't look out of place in the office of an egotistical CEO. I was first put off by the price, as I can be quite a stingy schmuck, so I looked around some more and I was always directed to this. Since fate was clearly giving me a sign, I thought what the hell and started reading the reviews.

Boy, am I thankful for fate's divine intervention! The wood is solid and so I have no fear that it'll collapse or break, all the bits n bobs are present and correct, the instructions are easy to follow, and more importantly, no lower shelf! The two drawers have lots of room and are wide enough to hold what one would need to have on hand, they are also just as strong as the desk itself, which means no bending in the middle will happen in the near future. The sliding motion of the drawers is smooth and very easy, so if you're like me and get frustrated with badness of that kind, then this is definitely up your street. Unfortunately, I don't have the actual PC yet (delivery next Saturday), so I can't tell you if the tower slot is big enough, but time will tell and I'll update this review.

The desk itself is bigger than it looks, which could be both a good or bad thing, depending on the size of the room you'll be putting it in. My living room thankfully has just enough space for it and with the desk being a bit larger, it's also eye-catching and gives it a sort of a 'centre piece' air about it. The black colour has a lovely, subtle sheen to it and even if your room decor is bright, it'll match with a striking contrast, or if said room is dark, it'll blend right on in there.

The sliding keyboard shelf is just like all the rest. It's sturdy and sturdy things don't break, bend, or chip, which is excellent. The last desk I had was much cheaper and within two to three months, the finish on the keyboard began to peel away. Not only was that annoying, but the flakes got into the PC keyboard and basically everyplace with a nook or cranny. That won't be happening with this one as there's no paint or varnish on it, so your keyboard and mouse will have a longer life span as there won't be any bits to clog them up.

You get exactly what you pay for and it's well worth every penny. Hope I've been helpful :-)

China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada Neon Poolside 2010 Collection [Misc.]
China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada Neon Poolside 2010 Collection [Misc.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiwi Cool-Ada, 26 Nov 2012
Before I go into detail, I just want to give a little tip so you can get the best out of your Neon shade nail polish. Swap your clear base coat for a white polish, as this will allow you to get a bright and vivid Neon, instead of a dulled down colour. This goes for all Neon shades, not just those from China Glaze :)

Anyhoo!

Unlike the other shades I bought, the two Neons Kiwi Cool-Ada and Toy Boy (which is a beautiful sky blue) are slightly more runny, making application not quite as easy as the others. That's not too say these are overly tricky, because they're not, yet because Neons are so vivid and eye-catching, mistakes are much more noticeable and therefore more care must be taken to get it right. Like everything, practice makes perfect! Knowing I wasn't going anywhere or doing anything today, I spent a bit of time getting acquainted with my two lovelies and after a short while, I learned how much was needed on the brush and the best way to apply it.

The shade is stunning! This gorgeous bright, vivid green that stands out like a little green emerald amongst coal and I love, love, love it! Kiwi Cool-Ada, like Toy Boy, isn't meant to be hidden by gloves and over sized sleeves. Kiwi is a born and bred attention grabber that takes centre stage without breaking a sweat. It's beautiful and vivid, has a personality all of its own and it's the epitome of spontaneity. Fun, I'm trying to say. This shade is bottled fun and it's currently gracing every nail I own and watching my toes wiggle makes me smile!

Unlike darker shades, Neons are a bit easier to remove as the consistency is a little thinner, so I didn't have to bathe my fingers in polish remover like I did with Pure Joy, but that's a glitter and so removal is bound to be a tad more difficult. The brush is of the same quality like all China Glaze products, so I won't wax lyrical about it, which means this review is at an end!

In a nutshell... If you wanna liven up this miserable English rain, then treat yourself to a Neon and lift your spirits!

Happy Polishing!

China Glaze Metro Collection Nail Polish - Midtown Magic 14ml
China Glaze Metro Collection Nail Polish - Midtown Magic 14ml
Offered by Faith Cosmetics

5.0 out of 5 stars Midtown Magic, 24 Nov 2012
This shade is perfectly named. Magic. It's very rare I give a cosmetics product five stars as there always seems to be one or two flaws that, while not very big, do make for an annoying experience. Such as Pure Joy from the Holiday Collection from China Glaze. Taking it off is a little frustrating. I digress!

There are no flaws, little or large, with this and the reason it's scored a Big Ol Five (bonus points if you can guess the quote!) with me. Easy application seems to be norm for China Glaze, so no matter which shade you choose, you have good consistency too look forward to. After all, a good consistency generally means the polish doesn't run or drip, thus your skin and clothes remain clean.

The brushes on China Glaze products are good, the bristles don't fray or bend into angles that make them pretty much useless, and why am I talking about the brush? All the little details add up to the overall product and one flaw in one of the main areas of nail polish can mean annoyance of epic proportions. Besides, for the price of China Glaze, one should expect quality the whole way through and that's just what you get. Quality.

Onto the shade.

On the webpage, Midtown Magic looks a rich and deep shade of plum, but in real life and on application, it appears to be more of a very dark burgundy. If it was just a dark burgundy, it wouldn't be so very exciting, but it isn't just a dark burgundy. There are teeny tiny particles that give this gorgeous, gorgeous ruby red shine to it and it's not a lot of shine, but when the light catches that ruby, Midtown Magic sings. It's subtle, not over the top, and that's what makes it so good because it adds to the main shade instead of taking over.

With it being such a deep and rich shade, a lot of people might use it mainly for nights out or particular occasions, but it works wonderfully during the day. It seems to give this vibe that says "There's more to me than this." and that's sort of what you imagine when you think of Midtown. Instead of city centre, where all the big department stores and the like reside, Midtown is where you find the little known shops down side streets and those wonderful little jazz clubs hidden by dark, unlit alleys. Midtown Magic is a gem, or just like those little shops and clubs, a diamond in the rough and it's definitely well worth a buy.

I'll be using this and using this a LOT. Excellent stuff, China Glaze!

China Glaze 80647 Pure Joy
China Glaze 80647 Pure Joy
Offered by Ella Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy!, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: China Glaze 80647 Pure Joy (Misc.)
This was the first of five China Glaze products I purchased and also the first one I tried. It was so eye-catching in the bottle that it simply couldn't be ignored for one moment longer! Usually with a sparkly/glittery nail polish, some of the particles rub off onto the skin pretty quick, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this didn't happen. What also didn't happen, and this is a big deal for me, is the fact the texture doesn't feel like sandpaper, like a lot of glitter polishes have a tendency to feel and like sandpaper, a lot of glitter polishes have a bad habit of 'scraping' off onto your clothes. While the texture isn't that rough, there is some texture, but not overly much.

Anyway, enough about the staying power and onto how the product looks.

The look of it on your laptop screen does not do this justice at all and when I say it's eye-catching, I mean it sparkles like the prettiest tinsel money can buy! The main shade is this gorgeous red that screams Christmas in giant capital letters and combined with the minute particles, it attracts the light and shines in hues of deep red, silver and a very lovely pale green. It's called Pure Joy and it's a very fitting name. I honestly 'oohed' and 'ahhed' for a solid five minutes before I moved onto the next shade I bought, which I'll write up shortly.

What I love most about glitter polishes is that mistakes are so easily fixed or they're just not noticeable, unlike block colours. This one is no different. I made a few mistakes and it took nothing to simply dot a bit here and there. It's easy peesy to apply, but taking it off is a bit of a nightmare! I had to press the nail wipe onto the nail for quite a while and even then, there was an awful lot of sparkly residue and no colour. In the end, it took several wipes and a few scrapes before it was completely removed. That's when it gets on your skin and clothes, and the reason for four stars.

So we have a bold red that sparkles, easy to apply, very little roughness, and no mistakes visible to the naked eye. I'd say this is well worth the price, especially if you have a particular occasion over the Christmas period and want your digits to look fabulous!

Sweet Valley Confidential (Sweet Valley High)
Sweet Valley Confidential (Sweet Valley High)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Valley Confidential, 13 Nov 2012
Firstly, I'll try not to spoil it for people who have yet to read this, but I can't keep my mouth shut!

I've been an avid fan of all Sweet Valley books, starting right from Sweet Valley Twins through to Sweet Valley University. I read the books and watched the TV show, then I grew up and the series became a fond memory of times past where I would have lunch with my friends and discuss the latest plot. It was only today when an offhand comment made from a third party had my friend and I discussing everything from Sweet Valley to the most excellent Point Horror stories, and thus prompted me to look for Kindle versions for my new gadget.

How happy I was to see Sweet Valley: Confidential and I immediately purchased it, then opened it right up, ready for a stroll down memory lane with beloved characters from my teen years. I wasn't three pages in when I knew what had happened and what was going to happen. For most books, the predictability would go against it, but a Sweet Valley book wouldn't be the same without a huge cliche.

Francine keeps most of the characters true, except for some slipping here and there, but what I found hard to swallow was the fact that despite the ages of some, there was very little maturity and quite a bit of whining in parts. Combine that with the the excusing of truly selfish actions by the word love and we have something very flimsy.

It's a great little book if you can get past the moments where you want to scream at the characters. There's a great deal of emphasis on the separation lasting eight months, but that level of betrayal by the person you're supposed to be closest too simply can't be brushed aside or glossed over by characters stating they knew they were selfish and the fact that they were truly in love.

I get the fact that this supposed to be for the young adults and to me, this is when young adults need good and strong role models, not those who give a brief nod of acknowledge towards their faults and the word "Love". Maybe I'm over-thinking this and maybe I'm not. I just expected a little more from a book that is as much for the grown up fans of Sweet Valley as it is for the new ones.

Politically Correct Holiday Stories (The Politically Correct Storybook Book 3)
Politically Correct Holiday Stories (The Politically Correct Storybook Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Politically Correct Holiday Stories, 11 Nov 2012
To sum this book up in one word: Hilarious!

I was given the hardback version from my English teacher when I was at school after I won the school award for Reading, but I lost the book a long time ago, so it was such a joy to find it for my Kindle! If you want a jolly good giggle over Christmas, then I recommend it.

Brilliant, just brilliant!

Tony Moly® - Tony Tint Cherry Pink - Make Up
Tony Moly® - Tony Tint Cherry Pink - Make Up
Offered by Royal Wellness

5.0 out of 5 stars Lip Tint, 11 Nov 2012
I've never had a happier accident! I purchased this shade instead of the Apple Red and cursed myself for quite some time. When I got it, I was very dubious cos it looks as red as the Apple Red shade, but I gave it a whirl and so very glad I did. There isn't really a fragrance as such, but there is a slight hint of something and it isn't overpowering or disgusting and also fades very quickly, so it can easily be ignored.

The staying power of this is absolutely fantastic, so it's excellent value for money. It is a bit fiddly to spread out on your lips with your finger and I'd definitely recommend using a good quality lip brush so you don't get any on your skin, as it does exactly what it says on the tin and tints! That includes the finger you use to spread it about LOL

The shade itself is a beautiful, natural shade that seems to enhance the pink of my own lips. Makes it more vivid and if applied well, it evens out my Cupid's Bow. Granted, it took me a couple of tries to get the amount I needed right, so what I use won't suit everyone's needs. I have thin lips with a slightly pouted lower lip and when I finally got the correct amount, it created a plump effect that was quite nice and nicer still was how that plumping wasn't OTT.

There is a minute taste to it for a few seconds while it dries, which all lip tints have, but this one is very mild and only noticeable if you look for it, which I do!

This is a total win!