Profile for john8pies > Reviews

Content by john8pies

john8pies "john8pies" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Last Call (The Bill Travis Mysteries Book 1)
The Last Call (The Bill Travis Mysteries Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn`t Hold My Interest., 20 Aug 2014
I had high hopes for this book after reading some of the positive Amazon contributors` reviews. Sorry, but I personally found it rather poor and clichéd; in fact after the first 3 chapters, I gave up reading it. (Sorry if it suddenly became a masterpiece from chapter 4 onwards!) . The basic fault was that our `hero`, Bill Travis, just didn`t hold my interest and so I couldn`t really be bothered to find out what happened to him and the woman Julie. As I say, this is just a personal opinion, so I hope you like it better!

The Kennedy Assassination: The Truth Behind the Conspiracy That Killed the President
by David Southwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Informative Book Complete with Facsimile Documents, 15 Aug 2014
Excellent book, which includes lots of documents, including photocopies of Lee Harvey Oswald`s `diary` whilst in Russia; photocopy of original autopsy report on JFK (complete with photocopied blood stains, yuk!), etc., and clearly details hundreds of things which do not make sense with the original and perceived version of events, the police investigations, the killing of Officer Tippets for which Oswald was originally arrested, the timeline of events, the improbability and even the LIES which were told (and have since been proved to have been lies).

Much has been written about the conspiracies covering up the President`s assassination, but this book just keeps coming back with more (and, to its credit, rubbishes a few of the more bizarre and untrue ones, eg, that Kennedy had been married before , and that poor Jackie Kennedy delivered the coup de grace when seen to be holding onto his lifeless body).

Even though I was only 12 years old when this tragedy occurred, I have been fascinated with it for over 50 years now, and have even visited Dallas and the Book Repository and Grassy Knoll where the killing occurred, but still I found out fact after fact about this case that I still did not know about, from reading this book and studying its enclosures.

Recommended.

The Key (Sancti Trilogy 2) by Toyne, Simon (2012)
The Key (Sancti Trilogy 2) by Toyne, Simon (2012)
by Simon Toyne

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good overall..........but........!, 17 Jun 2014
Overall, a very good thriller in the Da Vinci Code mode. Without wishing to give plot `spoilers` or anything I`ll just say that it IS a page-turner and I would probably have given it 5/5 BUT it is just a bit over-long and the end is just a little bit disappointing (either not explained properly or just a little too difficult to understand). Also, there are a few naïve comments by some of the characters, eg, "the report proved that x could not have killed y" (er, no, it COULD just have meant that x was lying in the report!) etc etc. But as I`ve said, overall a very good read - why not give it a try?!

ANGEL'S SHARE
ANGEL'S SHARE
by Mike Ripley

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, set in beautiful part of the country!, 8 April 2014
This review is from: ANGEL'S SHARE (Paperback)
Another good yarn from the pen of Mike Ripley, in which our `hero` is up to his usual scrapes, this time (he thinks) tracking down the lost love of a client. Of course, Ripley being Ripley and Angel being Angel, not everything is as straightforward as it seems at first. If you like Dorset, that`s another bonus as this book is set there, and also if you don`t know exactly what an Angel`s Share is, I shan`t spoil your enjoyment by telling you! Overall, a pleasant, amusing little read

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars A great novel, whether you like time travel or not!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
IMHO, a wonderful, wonderful book, our esteemed author doesn`t spin his usual horror yarn, but instead the story starts to kick in on the first few pages and we don`t have the usual wait for setting the background, before a brilliant tale of an `ordinary` person travelling back in time, who will perhaps have the opportunity to prevent the assassination of President John F Kennedy (and a few other adventures along the way). Quite charming, and although I generally speaking love books and films about time travel, I have a feeling people will like this one whether or not this subject interests them.

12-21
12-21
by Dustin Thomason

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, and very readable, but not quite Dan Brown!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: 12-21 (Paperback)
Part Da Vinci Code (though the main character doesn`t have the appeal or charisma of Robert Langdon, in my opinion) / part Stephen King`s The Stand (though mercifully 300 or so pages shorter), this very readable apocalypse-doomsday novel retains interest from the beginning right up to the end (and beyond, because the `epilogue` and post-novel explanations are interesting , too!) but somehow doesn`t quite achieve that mesmeric quality that put types of book like the Da Vinci Code as #1 in a field of 1.

Town on Trial [DVD] [1957] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Town on Trial [DVD] [1957] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Derek Farr
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, of its time, but......., 25 Mar 2014
Good romp of its time; John Mills turns in an excellent performance; just don't judge it by 2day's standards (no fast cars, no mobile phones, no special effects, & all shot in b & w,etc.) . Acouple of classic 'howlers' too - e.g. Where 1 of the suspects was supposed to be "having a shower" but you can clearly see he's actually wearing shorts AND when he comes out, his hair is still dry! Another is where a woman is supposed to have taken off her stockings but as she turns round she's in fact wearing pyjamas!!! But overall, very enjoyable!

Doughnut
Doughnut
by Tom Holt

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs unless you`re a true fan!, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Doughnut (Paperback)
Seriously, many weird books appeal to me but this one just seemed ridiculous. By page 50 we had already had imaginary scenes (or were they?!), a man - the `hero` of the novel - with an `invisible arm` and somebody who had blown up Hadron`s Collider and was working in a run down (and possibly , again , imaginary) hotel - by page 51 I had thrown in the towel !!!!!

Wenceslas: A Christmas Poem
Wenceslas: A Christmas Poem
by Carol Ann Duffy

1.0 out of 5 stars The emperor's new clothing?!, 26 Dec 2013
Sorry but in my humble opinion this is the biggest con around! An overlong poem giving the disgusting ingredients of the king's pie which eventually is offered to the poor man outside; pretentious twaddle! Take my advice; don't waste your money on this!

The Fall and Rise of Gordon Coppinger
The Fall and Rise of Gordon Coppinger
by David Nobbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny but not brilliant........, 12 Sep 2013
A little disappointing. I`ve read most of his books and agree that he is definitely one of our best comic writers. The Reggie Perrin series is hilarious and I honestly rate his Obstacles to Young Love as one of the cleverest and most page-turning books I`ve read. Coppinger promises much but never quite manages to deliver fully - don`t know if it`s because the characters aren`t as interesting or charming as in many of his other books or the story isn`t quite as good (also, The Fall and Rise of....... bit of an unoriginal title, ha, ha!)

1 more small point. Can anybody advise me what is the `hidden message` in using the last sentence of each chapter as that chapter`s title? I just don`t get it! (Thank you)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3