Profile for Lazy Kipper > Reviews

Content by Lazy Kipper

Lazy Kipper (Gateshead, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Blood Doctor
The Blood Doctor
by Barbara Vine

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Blood Doctor (Paperback)
I had guessed, "who, what and why" practically from the beginning of the book, but I gave three stars because I was still interested enough to want to know "how", otherwise it would have been one.

The narrator, Lord Nanther, is an absolute pain - he has an heir by a previous marriage, and has little sympathy with his wife's compelling biological need for a baby of her own. He is obsessed with money - terrified that he will lose his allowances for attending the House of Lords - made me wonder why the over-stuffed barstewards get an allowance at all - they aren't elected and I bet half odfthem sleep through the proceedings (but I digress).

He is remarkably obtuse even when the answers are staring him in the face. However it is a well-written book, and as I said, I wanted to know that my conjectures were right (they were), and how the whole thing fitted together. Well-crafted, but not the sort of edge-of-the-seat page-turner I expected.

Tarot Spells (Llewellyn's New Age Tarot Series)
Tarot Spells (Llewellyn's New Age Tarot Series)
by Renee Janina

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope these work, 23 Mar 2012
I have given four stars because of the very quick delivery (2 days from ordering on supersaver) and they beautiful layout of the book. I haven't had a chance to try any of the spells yet but am looking forward to it, as they are straightforward and don't involve tons of spooky stuff.

I already have the Robin Wood Tarot cards Robin Wood Tarot Deck, and they are the best I have ever used (I have four sets altogether, the others being - in order of empathy (with myself - we are all different) The Grail Tarot, The Enchanted Tarot and the Hanson-Roberts Tarot). The Robin Wood is clear and full of symbolism, and speak to me like no others ever have. My Tarot reading friends are all very impressed with them. AND - I'm really excited about the "spelling"!

Prison [DVD]
Prison [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lane Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful!, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Prison [DVD] (DVD)
Lousy acting, pathetic script, no suspense, predictable storyline - I could continue but I can't be bothered to waste any more time on it. If you're into gory stuff, you will enjoy the deaths, though.

Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
by Jane Odiwe

1.0 out of 5 stars That whirring sound? Jane, turning in her grave . . ., 15 Mar 2012
Really badly written, over-wordy and not even well researched. Marianne is married to William Brandon - whoever he may be - Colonel Brandon's Christian name was Christopher. She is a whining, self-pitying selfish moaner - she's lucky to be with any husband at all. The characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting. There are too many arch references to the Brandons' sex life (oh, please - how can anyone claiming to be in the mould of Austen do this?). Willoughby turns from a rogue into a saint, practically - leopards don't change their spots THAT easily! A nice idea for a novel, but I think this author needs to realise that you can't just take names from another author's novel and write a sequel. You need a sympathetic connection to the original author and ability, too. Save your money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2012 5:44 PM BST

Pinking Shears
Pinking Shears
Offered by sewing-online

5.0 out of 5 stars What a snip!, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pinking Shears (Kitchen & Home)
These shears have just arrived three days after I placed the order. They appear to be excellent, and the service was first class.

The Perils of Morning Coffee: An Isabel Dalhousie story (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a rip-off, 31 Dec 2011
This is a VERY short story - and I am sure that it is taken from one of the Isabel Dalhousie books, and re-issued on its own, because I have definitely read it before. As a measure of it's length, the "taster" of the next novel at the end is half as long as the story itself. When I have time, I'm going to go through my books and find out where I've previously read it, and will add details to this post.

I think that the practice of re-issuing books under another title, or of issuing snippets like this without making their provenance clear is iniquitous and borders on the fraudulent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2012 6:56 PM GMT

The Fox in the Attic
The Fox in the Attic

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy like a fox . . ., 29 Dec 2011
An engrossing tale and a fascinating peep into the psyche of a nation. And all skilfully built upon a tiny snippet of history - the failed "Beerhall Putsch" when Hitler was forced to go into hiding.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful - ish, 28 Dec 2011
Okay - nothing startling. Keeps time okay, but yellow a bit naff - wish I'd got a different colour. These extra words are to fill in the Amazon minimum.

Strong's Greek Dictionary of the Bible (with beautiful Greek, transliteration, and superior navigation) (Strong's Dictionary Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had read MR's review - waste of money, 28 Dec 2011
Absolutely useless if you want to be able to translate the New Testament - I tried to use it - none of the words I needed were in the dictionary. Experimentally, I took a simple sentence from Kapa Markpon (ch 7 vs 8)- only words in the dictionary were "tou Theo" and "ton anthropon". and this is really basic stuff - Mark is the most simple and direct book in the NT. What a waste of dosh - absolute rubbish!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 29, 2012 7:35 PM GMT

UBS4 Greek New Testament and Reference Helps
UBS4 Greek New Testament and Reference Helps
by Barbara Aland
Edition: Bonded Leather

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent volume, 1 Dec 2011
I would have given this 5 stars - it is clear and in a font size which is comfortable to read, and has excellent footnotes and references, however the volume I received (from a different seller) does not have an integral dictionary, so I feel that "I wuz robbed", as other people have mentioned a lexicon. I'm not sure if this is anyone's "fault" (I know that I have not deliberately been diddled), but I think the book description itself should make clear everything that is included in the volume.

Bad, bad Amazon.