Profile for Nick Day > Reviews

Content by Nick Day

Nick Day

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Cable Router, 1 Ghz Dual Core, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, Implicit and Explicit Beamforming, Upstream and Downstream QoS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2014
I'll start by explaining my previous setup and its shortcomings. I had an Airport Extreme connected to the modem supplied with my BT Infinity install. This worked well enough but in our mid-sized 3 bed Victorian terrace we weren't getting very good wireless signal upstairs or in the garden leading to frequent dropouts.

I "remedied" this by adding a couple of Airport Expresses, which due to the range from the Extreme had to be connected via Ethernet - so this was done via powerline adapters. This gave us signal throughout the house on one SSID, but the powerline adapters were causing a bottleneck in the system. You could be sat next to the Extreme, but my MacBook Air would decide to connect to an Express upstairs therefore routing all traffic through the powerline (which in our old house was giving nowhere near the 200mbps speed promised). The result was our 60mb internet connection was getting about 5mb in some situations depending on which access point you were connected to. The only reliable way around this with my existing equipment would be to run Ethernet cables to each of the Expresses, which wasn't an option.

I wanted to ditch all of this and replace with a single router to manage the whole house - and this Netgear R7000 has definitely cured all of our problems. We now get full signal throughout the house and garden at 300mbps on the 5ghz range. We use 5ghz for our laptops and 2.4ghz for our iPhones/iPads (for longer range at slower speed). On all devices we now get the full speed of our 60mb internet connection and it has proven to be rock solid in the last week since I've installed it. (My MacBook Air is limited to 300mbps as its a few years old, so when I upgrade to a new one with the AC wireless there should be a nice speed/range boost.)

This is the router you want if you're after good range and a fast reliable connection.