Profile for Andrew Langdon > Reviews

Content by Andrew Langdon

Andrew Langdon (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Gracekeepers
The Gracekeepers
by Kirsty Logan

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but with an unsatisfying ending, 13 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Gracekeepers (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Set in a flooded world, The Gracekeepers follows the lives two young girls, firstly North and her dancing bear who with her fellow circus crew travel from island to island performing for food. The other girl is Callanish, a Gracekeeper, who lives on an island and performs Restings, a service for the friends and families to mourn their dead. Both of their lives are linked and both are hiding a secret, which I won't spoil.

I must admit that when I finished reading The Gracekkepers I felt a little cheated. Although it is very well written and the fairytale-like world and characters are interesting, for me the underwhelming conclusion of the story felt like it was written solely to serve as the launchpad for a sequel and was unsatisfactory.

Philips GC3810/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 150 g Steam Boost, 300 ml, 2400 Watt, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine iron, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure how you review an iron beyond "it gets hot and removes creases from your clothes" which the Philips Azur Performer does with aplomb!

Pros: it produces lots of steam and glides smoothly making ironing my shirts for work a breeze.

Cons: the power cord is little shorter than I'd like and the spray button is difficult to reach.

Overall, a fine iron.

Toni & Guy Men Styling Clay - 75 ml
Toni & Guy Men Styling Clay - 75 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After trying many different products to style my hair over the years and having settled on the fantastic American Crew Fiber, this is the product that has come closest to replacing it. It is very easy to apply and style, has a nice matt finish (no wet or greasy look) and provides just the right amount of hold to keep my hair in place but remain easily pliable throughout the day. It also has the added bonus of having a very pleasant aroma and washing out with no residue.

I can heartily recommended the Toni&Guy Styling Clay.

Toni & Guy Men Styling Wax Stick - 75 ml
Toni & Guy Men Styling Wax Stick - 75 ml

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible product for my hair, 29 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm always willing to try out a new styling product for my hair, and was looking forward to using the Toni&Guy Wax. Unfortunately it turned out to be a terrible disappointment.

I first tried applying the wax directly onto my hair by rubbing the stick along my head, but this just left clumps of wax that were very difficult to spread evenly. The wax left my hair sticky and was next to impossible to comb through and style. The next day I tried applying it to my hands and warming it before brushing it through my hair (like I do with the usual product that I use), but unfortunately this way also left clumps of wax in my hair leaving it impossible to style. It also proved difficult to wash out, even after a shower and shampoo my hair retained some of the sticky residue.

About the only good thing I can say about the Toni&Guy Wax is that it has a pleasant smell, but unfortunately this product disagrees with my hair (maybe my hair is the wrong length or thickness?) and has been consigned to the drawer. I'll be sticking with my dependable American Crew Fiber for the foreseeable future.

Trigger Point Performance Grid STK Hand-Held Foam Roller - Orange
Trigger Point Performance Grid STK Hand-Held Foam Roller - Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic product!, 24 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve been using a regular foam roller for a the past year and a bit and it has been fantastic for massaging my IT band, quads and lower back after a run or a gym session of squats and deadlifts. However, no matter how I contort my body, I always struggle to get firm pressure on my calves and particularly my hamstrings for it to be of any real benefit.

That particular problem has now been solved with this wonderful device!

Instead of lying on the floor and trying to get enough weight through my legs, I now just sit on the floor, bend my knee and roll the Trigger Point Hand Held Roller up and down the back of my legs until I'm on the verge of tears! It also has the added bonus (if pain is your sort of thing!) of being great for massaging the adductor, and more pleasantly, the neck and shoulders.

All in all, it’s a great product and I’d heartily recommend it to anybody who lifts weights at the gym or runs and is looking for good versatile roller to aid their recovery.

Finish All-in-One Max Dishwasher Tablets - Original, Pack of 1 (Total 74 Tablets)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazeballs!, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Finish All-in-One Powerball tablets offer great cleaning power and each tablet is conveniently wrapped in a dissolvable wrapper. However, they are much more expensive than Aldi's own-brand all-in-one which also clean very well at a fraction of the price.

Dettol Power and Fresh 80 Wipes - Lemon and Lime, Large, Pack of 4 (Total 320 Wipes)
Offered by British Essentials

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little product, 12 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Dettol Wipes are a great little product. They clean just about any surface around the house, are a nice size, have a nice lemony scent and the resealable pouch they are stored in means you can conveniently leave them just about anywhere you might need them. The only downside is that they are a bit pricey compared to a regular spray bottle of anti-bacterial cleaner and some tissues bought separately, but then the Dettol Wipes do take up a fraction of the room.

Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 210g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 210g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot and steamy, 27 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This iron is hot and steamy! It slides into the nooks with ease. It has a lot of staying power, so faced with a crease or more, there is no need to stop midway through to wait for it to reheat.

I would add that it doesn't tire out my wrist or arm moving it back and forth, even with a full load, so that's also a plus!

One criticism is that no matter if I grip it hard or softly, I cannot get it to squirt, the button is in such an awkward place that I cannot reach it with my thumb!

I would recommend this iron.

Boompods Earpods In Ear Headphones for iPod/iPhone/iPad - Blue
Boompods Earpods In Ear Headphones for iPod/iPhone/iPad - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Boompods, 10 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pros
- Bright with clarity at the top end and middle (so good for spoken audio).
- Comfortable in the ear.
- Neat travel case.

Cons
- Price: much better earphones available for this price bracket (e.g. RHA MA350s even with their poor build quality - made up by their excellent customer service and 3 yr warranty).
- These offer no better audio than the earphones that come with Apple products.
- Very little bass (even after meddling with iPhone EQ levels).
- Rustling from the braided cable is annoying. Looping the earbud around the ear helps with the rustling, but leaves the controls un-naturally close to the ear.
- Noise-cancellation? Did not notice any difference when compared to other in-ear earphones, so more a gimmick in my opinion.

I cannot recommend these as a replacement to the standard Apple earphones, and would suggest looking elsewhere for a replacement set of earphones. Surprised by the high scores for such a poor audio experience, which is overpriced.

Vax Floor 2 Floor Pet U86-PM-Pe Upright Vacuum
Vax Floor 2 Floor Pet U86-PM-Pe Upright Vacuum

2.0 out of 5 stars A powerful but cumbersome cleaner, 28 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this cleaner to be cumbersome to carry and unwieldy to use, it doesn't run smoothly over wooden floors, rugs or carpet despite trying the different floor settings. The weight and lack of mobility would be countered if the hose and tools were good. However the hose is far too short at approximately a meter in length to be able to vacuum the stairs, plus to use it you've got take apart the cleaner and reassemble it making it a pain to use to clean the fiddly nooks and crannies of the house. It just all feels badly thought out. I also found the plastic to feel a bit flimsy as if it could break apart with vigorous use.

However, the suction was excellent and it did make light work of the cat hair on the rug and the power cord is very long meaning I didn't have to change plug sockets as I was cleaning. But these positives fail to outweigh the negatives of this disappointing vacuum cleaner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7