Profile for SquidMan > Reviews

Content by SquidMan

SquidMan "Gadget man and avid gamer" (London, UK)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and doesn't charge from PC/Mac, 22 Mar. 2010
No overly impressed with this.. but I suppose you get what you paid for. No fault with the seller (delivery on time etc) but the in-car charger keeps connecting and disconnecting and the USB retractable cable won't charge my iPhone if I just plug it into a standard USB port...

Might have mis-read the description, but overly, not very impressed :(

Creative ZEN 8GB MP3 Player
Creative ZEN 8GB MP3 Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment..., 21 Nov. 2007
Oh dear, what have Creative done. I've been a huge fan of my Zen Micro, it's always be reliable and for filled all my on-the-move MP3 needs. I bought the Zen as I liked the idea of having video on the move as well, and the 'upgradeable' memory seemed like a great future proof option for increasing the memory beyond the 8GB mark.

Once I opened the packaging I must confess that I was a little disappointed. I'd agree with the reviews that the screen is very clear, but the built quality is a little shoddy for Creative. The whole thing is made from a shiny, plastic shell - and the navigational buttons are very 'clicky' and tacky feeling. Compared to the solid nature of the previous Zen Micro series I was very let down, and more than a little sceptical how the unit would survive the test of time.

Beyond the looks, the battery life was fine, and as I said before, the screen is very clear. I did find the menus very sloooow, and the unit had a tendency to crash - this happened during initially syncing my music collection to it, and then randomly during video playback.

As others have said, the additional SD slot sounds great - but it is viewed as a separate storage area to the main device memory, so you can't spread your storage across the add-on memory.

The device actualy gave up the ghost when I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware, leaving me with a bricked player that would do nothing but display the Creative logo.

After so many happy years with my Micro, the Zen was a big let down. I've since bought a Zune 30, they're a steal now (especially as you can upgrade them to the Zune 2 firmware) - sure, the battery life isn't as good, but the navigation, playback and general build is far better and more reliable then this offering from Creative.

Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bridge_Records

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, serious shooter - but a shortlived single player campaign, 21 Mar. 2007
I got this game bundled with my 360 and it was an amazing game to kick-start my xbox 360 experience. The graphics are mind blowing, and the action is very fast paced and involves a very well balanced use of skill (taking cover) and fun (blowing things up and shooting!).

Coming from a PC background I was quite surprised at the shortness of the game. I don't know if this is because of the level of detail taking up space on the DVD or just that Epic also wanted to focus on the multiplayer aspect as well... This considered I don't really feel the game has significant re-playability. Sure, you have your xbox achievements, but apart from several places in the single player game where you have a choice which path you take (left or right), you're on rails most of the time.

I enjoyed this game while it lasted, but I doubt I'll be picking it up for a second play-through any time soon. It looks great and plays well on single-player, and for you xbox live lovers I know the multiplayer is a blast - but I would have liked to have seen a more in-depth and longer single player campaign.

I-Ninja (PC)
I-Ninja (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little game..., 13 May 2006
This review is from: I-Ninja (PC) (Video Game)
We don't really have much of a selection in the PC games market when it comes to games like this, but iNinja is a little gem of game: great fun, interesting visuals, innovative bosses and great characters.

I have invested in a USB converter for a PS2 duel-shock gamepad, and recommend this form of controller for this game, as I don't know how I'd cope with this with a mouse/keyboard setup!

My only reason for marking the game down at 4 instead of 5 stars, is the fact you have to replay levels to progress though the game and unlock additional areas. I know this is a familiar feature with modern day platform games, but it does get a little boraing having to re-visit places you've already been to, and it does get a little too hard sometimes for the enjoyment factor to stay.

The above things aside, this game is a bargin now at the price, pick it up if you see it and enjoy!

Canon Pixma MP150 All in One Photo Printer, Scanner and Copier
Canon Pixma MP150 All in One Photo Printer, Scanner and Copier

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder, 13 May 2006
I bought this mainly because I needed a scanner, and a new printer, and having all of these features in one product is a bargin.

I feel a little disheartened that people are rating this product down because of the quality of it's photo/colour printing. As far as I'm concerned it's very expensive, not just to buy the photo paper, but also the replacment ink, to keep printing your own photographs, epecially as there are great services around like 'PhotoBox.com' etc - so this has not been a worry, or reason to complain with my MP150.

This printer is reliable, fast and good at what it says it's good at. The added features such as being able to use it as a photocopier is great, and again, very fast and easy to use.

It might be a large unit, but it does have a lot of different functions to perform - so I've always been willing to overlook this aspect of the MP150. I would recommend you check the dimentions of the unit and make sure you have space for it before you buy (fairly obvious I know, but reading all the reviews that say 'it was bigger than I thought' makes this a valuble thing to point out!)

The fact that Canon have chosen not to supply a USB cable is a little cheap, but I have discovered that although the instruction leaflet says you need to have a USB cable under 1.5 meters (or something similar) I've got a very long 10 meter USB cable attached to mine and have no problems.

If you're looking for a reliable, easy to use, relativly cheap but quality printer, copier and scanner you can't go wrong with the MP150.

Creative Zen MicroPhoto 8GB MP3 Player - Black
Creative Zen MicroPhoto 8GB MP3 Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, great sound and great looks!, 13 May 2006
I had a 256MB player from around 2002... and that cost me £250(!) even though that's still working I decided to upgrade to this lovely offering from Creative.

The Zen MicroPhoto is very slickly designed and has more then enough storage to store my whole music collection (and more!). Bear in mind that you're going to have to comprimise on the compression on your tracks should you buy a player like this.

Not being a 20GB monster, I have set my tranfer setting in Windows Media Player 10 to 64kbps - from a high quality MP3 track this produces a more than 'listenable' track quality on the Zen.

I haven't used any of the software included with the player - Windows Media Player 10 is far superior, as far as I'm concerned, to any third-party software, is a sinch to set-up and easily sync my entire music collection to my Zen with a click of a button.

The navigation is slightly unorthodox than your standard players (scroll wheel on iPod, buttons etc) the touch pad DOES take some getting use to, but I recommend if you're concerned about this aspect of player go and have a play with one in Dixons or on a friends if possible. I took about a week to get used to the touch pad on my Zen, and I set the sesativity to 'low' as soon as I got the thing up and running.

The battery life is good, the only bummer being that Creative have been a little cheap and not supplied a stand-alone charger in the retail pack for this Zen. I was lucky and managed to pick up a charger with worldwide socket attachemts for £10, which has been a god-send for trips away from the UK - I advise anyone who gets one of these players to invest in one of these, you won't be sorry! The big selling point with this player is the removable battery, iPods, and the 20GB Zen all have built in batteries, which can't be replaced easily - the Zen takes the same battery as it's related Zen Micro counterparts, which (although expensive at the moment) is reassuring should the battery life start to wain after a year or so with the supplied battery.

The reason I've given the Zen MicroPhoto only 4 stars is because of the 'Photo' bit... it's a tad gimmiky, and to be honest I've deleted all the photo's off mine. The fact you can't browse pictures while listening to music is one HUGE factor Creative should have addressed... but as far as I'm concerned, I bought this player for music and a potential extra storage device, which is does perfectly - you also get the added 'wow factor' of a colour screen with the MicroPhoto, compared to the blue/black LCD of the standard Micro.

This player has forfilled my needs, and excelled them! If Creative had thought about the Photo side of things a little better (or even got rid of it altogether!), and supplied a stand-alone charger I would have given this 5 stars.

The added security of a replacable battery makes this player a sound investment for the future.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, great sound... I bought two pairs!, 13 May 2006
I know that there have been a few reviews complaining about the fact that these are probably not on par with other noise isolation headphones on the market... but what do you expect for £20?!

I've been very pleased with my EP-630's, so much in fact that I bought my girlfriend a pair as well!

You have to experiment with the various sized ear-buds supplied - but the default, medum sized ones fit perfectly for me.

Used with my Creative Zen MicroPhoto I get great sound, clear highs and nice (but not too over-powering) bass.

The headpohnes are comfortable, far more so than the standard in-ear headphones you can get - and the added benefit of the noise isolation means you dont have to turn up your player to compensate for noisy external sound.

You do get a little bit of sound when walking with these on - the fact the ear-plug is in your ear means any sound is magnified when the cable is knocked... but oddly enough (a bit like the sound of ticking clock in a room) you get used to this, and don't notice it unless you're really listening for it!

A good buy, very confortable and great quality... what you waiting for?! :)