Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Kindle Oasis Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Honestman > Reviews

Content by Honestman

Honestman "Uncle Enid" (Nowheremanshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
A Passion Play
A Passion Play
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough stars available, 22 Nov. 2008
This review is from: A Passion Play (Audio CD)
I saw Tull at Wembley on the APP tour and was stunned by what I saw. I had never seen them before, yet was totally mesmerized by the album and all the theatrics.

Yes, we all know about how Ian was disappointed to the point of quitting after the music industry seemingly slated 'A Passion Play', but it has stood the test of time as a remarkable piece of music. Everything blends so well, it is has some of the most incredible interplay (Anderson particularly on soprano saxophone is a brilliant alternative to the usual Jethro sound).

I have loved this album since first hearing it, and could never understand why, it seemed that, everyone else hated it. I'm just glad that time has caught up with me for once!! Okay, it's not an easy listen, but then all good music demands your time. Buy a copy and be enthralled.

Arena
Arena
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Raaaaaaaaaaaa... The wizard and true star returns!, 6 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Arena (Audio CD)
I have been a Todd fan since waaaay back to Something / Anything, so I've been through the highs and (thankfully few) lows of Toddness (I was even at his first Hammersmith gig with the sadly missed Luther Vandross in his backing band back in 1975, and am glad to have a recording of that whole night to remind me of his greatness back then). Have seen him loads of times since, including a great gig with Joe Jackson and Ethel at The Sage in Gateshead, it was a night which will stay with me on many levels (as will his guitar pick, which I found under my seat at the end of the gig!).

Back to "Arena" though. It is full of guitar lick magic which was sadly missing on the otherwise tremendous Liars album. This, like Liars, is one album that will stay in my player for some weeks to come.

Go buy it, you know it makes sense. Well done to Hawaii's (probably) greatest inhabitant (I haven't found any uke on this album, yet!).

Younger Than Yesterday
Younger Than Yesterday

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger than anyday!, 25 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Younger Than Yesterday (Audio CD)
I've had copies of this album since the first month it came out.. in mono vinyl, stereo vinyl (several times), and most of the CDs that have come out here and in the US. In fact I have collected all of their material since the first album arrived back in 1965.

The Byrds were so lucky that all of their incarnations brought forward new challenges, and with Jim/Roger at the helm they always delivered, right up the the last recording lineup with Skip, Gene and Clarence. Every lineup was masterful, although the final lineup was the one that was so powerful live (I'm a great Clarence White fan).
Coming back to Younger Than Yesterday, it was (and still is) a groundbreaking album, with so many new ideas and effects that it stood apart from all of its excellent predecessors. I can only comment on one guy here who gave it 1 star as he believed that the remastering made many of the lead guitar parts too quiet. I can't say that I've ever noticed that, he based his comments on vinyl (I think), so maybe he was relating it to the mono version - the twelve string lead guitar on "Everybody's been burned" was re-recorded for the stereo version and to my ears isn't as good..? Else I can't hear any difference with all the versions that I've grown up with (and this is merely a remaster not a reMIX).

This is a great album, go buy... as I would say to ANY Byrds album!

Caught Live + 5
Caught Live + 5
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there, 28 July 2008
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
To set the record straight, as Martin Hogan has criticised the recording. I was there the night of the recording (which was on 12th December 1969 and NOT 1968 as he states). The idea was to record the whole of the gig and release it as a double album; unfortunately there were manyfold technical problems which resulted in much discussion with producer Tony Clarke (he was under the stage in a control booth) as many songs were suffering from buzzing and other sound issues which were rendering some of them useless for release. I think, in the light of the problems, we were lucky to have anything released from the gig at all (and to my ears I am pretty glad with what did finally get released, as it was a good record of the sound of the band at that time).

A few days later (17th December) the band recamped at the BBC's Playhouse theatre (near the Thames) to record an hour long radio special along with fellow Threshold artistes Trapeze and Timon. A much cut down version of this performance was issued in TOCCC (and as stated here it was NOT at the Paris theatre as stated in the definitive edition sleevenotes - I should know as I was waiting outside before the commencement of the gig, getting frozen cold!).

I was fortunate to have front centre stage seats for both performances. It was a time that I shall never forget, seeing a great band at the height of their imagination.

Time On Earth
Time On Earth
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars A grower... and worth waiting 10 years for, 17 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Time On Earth (Audio CD)
Well worth the long wait, and definitely one that grows on you the more that you hear it. I, like others, feared that anything released "post-Hester" would be lacking because of his passing, but it is a nod to Paul's legacy that this one stands very well on its own.

I can heartily recommend any CH fan to visit crowdedhouselive.com and to get hold of some of the official live downloads from their North American tour to hear many of the tracks from this album played with even more vigour than on the album (and very cheaply too!). OR there's concertlive.co.uk for some great CDs from the UK tour (I have the lot and each one is brilliant... Wembley Arena is already sadly sold out though, and is the best of the lot).

One guy here only gave this return album one star, saying "If you want some soul-full, intelligent music turn to newer bands like ColdPlay". Oh please, do NOT compare the Housies with any "newer band" (however you can hardly call Coldplay 'newer'... or maybe it just feels like they've been around for years?!). The jury had been out for Coldplay with me for years, but Crowded House's return has made the verdict easy for me... ie there IS no contest. I couldn't stop laughing when I read the comparison comment... my ribs still hurt so much...;-)

Bob Dylan: The Other Side Of The Mirror - Live At The Newport... [DVD] [2007]
Bob Dylan: The Other Side Of The Mirror - Live At The Newport... [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Murray Lerner
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessity for all Dylanophiles, 16 Oct. 2007
I watched this when broadcast by the BBC on BBC4 on 14th October, and I didn't believe I would see so much previously unbroadcast footage. This set is as worthy an addition to the Dylan DVD catalogue as the recently remastered "Don't Look Back".

I, for one, shall be getting a copy as soon as it is released. Just one down side that came to me when watching it, and it was nothing to do with the programme I was watching, but was the fact that the BBC themselves have allegedly discarded the two Dylan specials that were recorded specially for them "In Concert" way back in 1965. It seems as though I will have to make do with the lo-fi audio I have of those gigs, unless (he says hopefully) they are found to still exist at the Beeb in the wake of the recently broadcast Newport footage!

Go buy .. I'm sure you will if you saw last weekend's broadcast of this!

Fierce Pancake and Beyond: The Complete Anthology
Fierce Pancake and Beyond: The Complete Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue reissue of a classic album... and before!, 12 Sept. 2007
Well, at last IT'S HERE!! Joyous celebrations all round!

If I have any minor criticism, it is that it doesn't include everything, (such as the marvellous 12" "Lights! Camel! Action!" remix of 'Charlton Heston' - which is rather sad as Charlton himself passed away last weekend). It also omits the whole of the 12" EP of Peel Sessions recorded in January 1986 (my, that's over 20 years ago now, sigh). The latter was originally issued on Strange Fruit, maybe they are just unavailable for legal reasons(?). These are very small issues (hey, I have these two things on vinyl anyway), and issues that I can accept - this is a fantastic set with many previously unreleased gems! Go do yourselves a favour and buy a piece of real authentic rock music. There has never been anyone quite like Stump... nor will there probably ever be!

I just had to pick up a copy of this marvellous compilation on the day it finally surfaced, and it's a great package with some very interesting sleeve notes on the history of the band. All we can hope for now is a band reunion (I heard that they DID all meet up in 2006 in Clonakilty, Cork), and maybe even a reunion gig. I can but dream. Sigh.

Lord rest the mighty Stump.

Move (Deluxe 2-CD Expanded Edition)
Move (Deluxe 2-CD Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic start to a genuinely exciting reissue series, 5 Sept. 2007
What can I say? Reissues may come and go featuring The Move, but none have ever been treated as well as the first two albums recently issued. I must own most CDs that have ever come out by the band over the years, and this is the first time that the sound on straight remasters has sounded so good, let alone the tracks which have been remixed to stereo after all these years.

If all goes to plan, the further album reissues, the double BBC set, and four CD anthology style box set (now due in February 2008 I hear from a good friend) shall all be a joy to behold and should fill all the holes in the band's past.

Truly remarkable. Go buy, you know you need to. Even if you have the albums already, the bonus tracks alone are worth it - and there are links to more unreleased tracks on a special area website (FIVE more tracks available there to buyers of both the first two albums, as I write this review).

Shazam
Shazam

This review is from: Shazam (Audio CD)

Flowers In The Rain
Flowers In The Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reissue, well worthy of its release!, 18 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Flowers In The Rain (Audio CD)
It's not very often that I get excited by singles, let alone reissues of an old faithful chestnut such as this one, but the remastering and remixing on all of this EP are remarkable. All tracks are so incredibly punchy. To hear Fire Brigade as an instrumental even brought a tear to this old man's eye. I can't wait for the reissue series of all The Move's early albums when they start to be released on 27th August (especially the boxset comprising rarities and live tracks being released later this year).

Go and buy, you won't regret it.

Page: 1 | 2