Profile for Sooty_01 > Reviews

Hotel K: The Shocking Inside Story of Bali's Most Notorious Jail
Hotel K: The Shocking Inside Story of Bali's Most Notorious Jail
Price: 4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and insightful read!, 24 Jun 2012
I purchased this book to read on holiday and I couldn't put it down! It's very well written from time spent with prisoners still serving and released and it really creates the image of what it must be like in Kerobokan prison. (My next purchase will be Schapelle Corby - No More Tomorrows).

I can safely say that having read this book I have no desire to visit Indonesia/Thailand - the system sounds corrupt and unjust, it sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it after reading this book. I have never committed a crime (and have no intention to!) but I would dread to think that I could just be in the wrong place at the wrong time, get set up and end up in a place like this!

I know that some people have no sympathy for people that have committed crimes and are sentenced to serve time in prison but it doesn't sound like rehabilitation is possible in Kerobokan where petty thieves are locked up with violent murders and cons run the prison and hand out their own punishment. As stated in another review, there are some spelling mistakes and a some unnecessary repetition but this didn't put me off, I would recommend this book.