Profile for evilbendyone > Reviews

Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch
by Rory Freedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be mislead by the title!, 10 Sep 2009
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This is definitely worth reading & like many others I have reconsidered my attitude to food, in particular meat and how it ends up on our plate. It is not practical to become properly vegan as its just too difficult when out for work dinners and when friends have you over, and being seen as fussy & preaching is not something I can deal with, though on a day to day level there is a lot you can change. People won't get it when you tell them about the book, they have to read it for themselves. I have experienced negative reactions & got in a few arguments! The cruelty of the meat industry is horrifying and upsetting, but necessary to understand. I didn't realise how ignorant I was before, though as the authors do say, 'trust no one not even us' so you need to use your own common sense to intepret some of their more polemic rhetoric. Its like the recent film 'End of the Line' changed perspectives and even major brands like Pret a Manger stopped selling tuna. Maybe by exposing the meat industry the same can happen here, or at least improve standards.

As the authors admit, the book is mistitled - they aren't bitches and don't go on about how being a size 0 is everything. They just needed the title to sell copies and they are so right, I would never have bought a book entitled 'Go vegan' or 'Why the American food industry lies to you' but that is basically what it is about. I supsect if you read the book about the slaughterhouse industry that is recommended by the authors, it would be shocking enough you would never touch meat again.

The book is very American and if you live anywhere else you will find it difficult to buy vegan products. Wonder if the UK food industry is as corrupt as the US? I doubt it as our politics are so different. But to be vegan in UK is still to be a hippie and be attention seeking, though hoping this is changing! The main thing I taken from the book's advice (apart from eating as little meat or dairy as possible) is breakfast. Waiting till feeling hungry before having fresh juice and fruit on its own is amazing advice.

Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod
Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing product but once it works is great, 28 Aug 2009
I have had many issues with the Garmin footpod, HR monitor and watch. Firstly the watch was completely dead, so I took it back, then the footpod battery was dead, so had to wait for garmin to ship a battery over to the shop (I actually didn't buy from Amazon but from Sweatshop). Why are Garmin so badly organised? Other products that contain batteries do not arrive dead already. The instructions are not detailed enough and the online support difficult to find an answer to a specific problem. 2 months later and I am only just getting the data uploading onto my Mac. It has been such a pain, be warned!

Does anyone have the answer to what is probably an obvious question but I am stumped - if you attached the footpod to your trainer then walk to the park as your warm up (for example), it records the data while you are walking. I want to start the data recording in the footpod when I start running and not before. Has anyone got an answer to this? If I carry it in my pocket then attach to the shoe I think it will start recording due to movement?

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
by Haruki Murakami

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised people love this book, 13 Aug 2009
Coming from a perspective of a marathon runner who has never heard of or read any of Murakami's novels, I found this book was not quite what I expected or wanted. It was very introspective and read like a brooding journal. As I know nothing of the author (and therefore care little about him), some of the book was a little dull and even a bit repetitive. Having said that the book is likeable enough and many of his musings are accurate insights, but in the end it falls somewhere between a memoir not containing enough detail to be intriguing and a meditation on the philosophy of running. If you do not like running and have not read Murakami's books I would say it is not worth bothering with.

The Cheese Monkeys
The Cheese Monkeys
by Chip Kidd

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this wacky book!, 6 July 2009
This review is from: The Cheese Monkeys (Paperback)
This guys comes from a really crazy angle, looking at the world like from the other end of a kalidescope. Its an unexpected, funny and fascinating book about his time at art college in America and falling in love with a kooky girl who has a plastic baby in tow. Sounds weird? It is completely weird but really fun and intense.

Wolf Totem
Wolf Totem
by Jiang Rong

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully evocative, 12 Jun 2009
This review is from: Wolf Totem (Paperback)
Having never been to mainland China or Mongolia I know very little about the region or its people, but with this book you dont have to as its written from a humanistic point of view. The descriptions are beautiful and lengthly, making Mongloia come alive in the reader's mind. It is quite a slow book, though personally I found it gripping and couldn't wait to see the next difficulty the students and Mongols faced, but some may find it not their sort of thing at all. Amazing how it can completely turn around your opinion on wolves!

Elephant Song
Elephant Song
by Wilbur Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Good thriller, but fundamental flaws, 11 Jun 2009
This review is from: Elephant Song (Paperback)
Agree with Marmaduke's review of this book. Some of the lines in it are laughable. The most annoying character was Wendy, an ex-pat wife who was always cooking delicious meals, melting into the background when the men wanted to talk and generally looking like a fragrant rosebud. I'm no feminist but couldn't help thinking Wilbur Smith must be a bit of a misogynist. Also the descriptions of the way the Taiwanese ambassador mutilated and raped his female victims was harrowing. It worried me you never heard what happened to Bonnie (was I missing pages in the book)? Please don't let children read this as it does graphically depict murder and rape. Surely to come up with that kind of text you have to have a pretty warped imagination?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2011 9:39 PM GMT

Side by Side Race Water Slide
Side by Side Race Water Slide

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun!, 5 May 2009
had a lot of fun with this slide, even though there was no one under 14 around when we used it! The slide is pretty long and the 'sprinkler' system really does work. only downside is it is very thin so if you put it on hard ground (like sun baked grass) it hurts if you slide too ambitiously (though if you are 5 years old that is probably not too much of a problem).. would be good on a slightly downward slope into a swimming pool!

Yoga Mad Tree Yoga Mat - Natural Rubber Mat Black / Green
Yoga Mad Tree Yoga Mat - Natural Rubber Mat Black / Green
Offered by YogaStudio

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful mat, 5 May 2009
after a fair bit of debating and researching, decided to get this mat in green and was so pleased with my choice that when my yoga place threw it away accidentally, I went straight back and bought another one. Only thing is if you have body cream on your hands really do slip in downward dog etc, but apart from that is a very dry, thick and nice rubber smelling mat. Plus no one else seems to have it so you always know which one is yours!

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars so excited.., 5 May 2009
...they are making it into a film and Rachel McAdams is going to be in it! Apparently it is out soon yay!
One of my favourite books ever it is a wonderful and captivating story

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf

5.0 out of 5 stars Just...beautiful!, 16 April 2009
This is such a beautifully presented and photographed book, makes a wonderful present and is really good vaule.
So far I've made the banana cupcakes and peanut butter cookies which were just incredible.
However I have tasted better cream cheese frosting recipes and the quantity of flour in the muffins is a joke - it was something like 340g to make 12 savoury muffins! They did not work at all, were dry and heavy. Perhaps it was a printing error? Can't believe that much flour is needed..anyone had a similar experience?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2010 11:26 AM GMT