Profile for Claire OWEN > Reviews

Content by Claire OWEN

Claire OWEN "I will read anything...Once!" (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sweet Little Lies
Sweet Little Lies

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not riveting., 21 July 2013
This review is from: Sweet Little Lies (Kindle Edition)
Alright thriller, I only gave it 3stars as it didn't grab me. Couple of annoying bits, I didn't quite believe the 2nd wife Geneva as a character in my opinion she was only two dimensional. I also didn't believe that they would have held the funeral of a murder victim within days of his body being found and while they were still searching for the No. 1 suspect. Surely they hold the body for forensics? It was plus all I can say, not awful just ok.

Long Time Coming
Long Time Coming

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 19 July 2013
This review is from: Long Time Coming (Kindle Edition)
Not my preferred type of book but well done anyway. I usually stear away from the over smaltzy romance, I will sometimes read chick lit for light relief. I felt this story had enough in it to get past that obvious smouldering man , venerable little woman scenario. The heroine had enough angst in her to get my interest and make me read to the end. I gave 4 stars just because it's not my preferred type of book

A Sister for Margot
A Sister for Margot

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of book but generally well done and enjoyable., 5 July 2013
The title kind of gave away the twist, well not really the twist more a reveal. I spent the first part trying to relate the title to the story and found that I couldn't, Then it it was all clear when the part two began 50 years in the past. The book is well written not to many typos. Ruby is Rudy at one point near the end. The characters are well described but I didn't care for all of them, perhaps I wasn't supposed to.
Not my usual type of book but enjoyable, my mother who likes family sagas will love it.

Bold Counsel: No-one hides forever (The Trials of Sarah Newby series Book 3)
Bold Counsel: No-one hides forever (The Trials of Sarah Newby series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well paced thriller. Enjoyable., 2 July 2013
I haven't read anything by this author before but this was a good read. I enjoy thrillers and crime books , this fitted the bill very well. Not to many ridiculous red herrings which seems to the fashion lately. You can see where it's going but the journey was fast and well done. I would read other books by this author after trying this one.

Fuzzy Navel - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 5)
Fuzzy Navel - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as ever.., 28 Jun. 2013
I have enjoyed every Jack Daniels book I have read and this one was no exception. I even found myself laughing, despite the fast paced action and the high tension. Loved the cliff hanger. Which one is next?

Bound by Guilt
Bound by Guilt

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple tale well told., 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bound by Guilt (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable, Christian fiction. I enjoyed this as a quick read. Slightly predictable but that didn't stop me enjoying it. I liked the scenario of book theft, the whole thing came across as well researched and the story hung well as a simple tale. Nicely written, no gaps or typos that seem to be so prevalent in the ebook world nowadays.

Little Sacrifices
Little Sacrifices

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely enjoyable., 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Little Sacrifices (Kindle Edition)
Well written, this fits into a niche with my favourite authors, Pat Conroy, Frankie Flagg and there's also a hint of Harper Lee with court room drama. Good writing , a book I would recommend.
I won't give you a resume of the story, that's what the synopsis is for. However I will say that this a charming set of reminiscences set in 1940's southern USA. Very well done.

The Mistress
The Mistress

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and intriguing., 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Mistress (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the writing and the prose. A standard subject delivered in a non standard manner. Sometimes the background explanations were over done for me there was a tendency to wander into side subjects that were technical rather than helpful for my taste. I really liked Muriel and enjoyed how she told her story. I held back one star as I personally felt it could have flowed faster if some of the side explanations were curtailed. Over all enjoyable.

Murder on the Gatwick Express
Murder on the Gatwick Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, fast paced. I enjoyed it., 13 May 2013
As I said in the title, this was an enjoyable book. It was fast paced and fun. I enjoyed the writing style. It's in small chapters because of the way it was written but for once I didn't find that distracting. It's one of the things that I hate about James Patterson's books. Overall an enjoyable read.

The Last Good Man
The Last Good Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Longing and loss beautifully described, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Last Good Man (Kindle Edition)
A mixture of myth and longings . A beautifully written novella. This writer certainly knows Cornwall. Introspective but not maudlin, a meeting of souls in need of each other. Charming. I very much enjoyed this lovely prose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4