Profile for Steve Craftman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
byteStor Pro 64GB USB 3.0 High Speed Flash Drive - Red
byteStor Pro 64GB USB 3.0 High Speed Flash Drive - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection..., 24 Aug. 2015
It does exactly what you expect it to and damn fast about it too! I bought several and used them to back up a friend's data when I was working to repair his Windows installation. No problem whatsoever (except for the pinch-ability!)...

WD 2 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive for Plug-and-Play Storage
WD 2 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive for Plug-and-Play Storage
Offered by Captain_Caveman_Computers

1.0 out of 5 stars I just don't trust WD any more, 30 July 2015
This is the third WD drive I've had fail (the first to fail went soon after I'd bought the third) and I've had enough of depending on Western Digital's previously good name. Fortunately, with each drive's failure I had enough warning to rescue most of what was stored on it (the 2Tb drive is currently undergoing deep examination by AVG's Disk Doctor). I've lost my trust in WD's external drives and will soon be looking for a replacement external drive, as even with a "repair" by Disk Doctor, I cannot trust the drive sufficiently. Amd when it comes to data trust is what it's about...

Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV) (Expanded Edition)
Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV) (Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gebrauchsmusik, 18 July 2015
Brian Eno's ambient music is strange and other-worldly. He described it himself as hologrammatic, meaning that once you've heard a few minutes of it, you've heard the lot. Neroli itself is a slow gentle piece in which nothing happens: it's as though a slightly echoed keyboard is talking to itself. The bonus track, New Space Music is another hour-long piece, and has a little more about it, but ultimately, like Neroli, serves to fill in the silence. It's easy to forget the music is playing and when that happens you haven't missed anything: It's the sort of music you'd play to hide a neighbour's party, giving you some music that you can control rather than the random sound of next door. Beautiful, but forgettable.

Do Well
Do Well

5.0 out of 5 stars A completist's release, 18 July 2015
This review is from: Do Well (MP3 Download)
All the tracks here are available elsewhere, notably in the track 20 minute long "Do Well" on the deluxe version of "A Secret Wish". Here, each mix is presented as a separate track, which saves you from using an audio editor to isolate the different versions. Musically, well: it's Propaganda - you either love them or loathe them. An enormous wall of beautifully crafted 80s dance music.

The Butch Manual
The Butch Manual

5.0 out of 5 stars How to do gay humour, 18 July 2015
This review is from: The Butch Manual (Paperback)
A classic, though of its (pre-HIV) time. Quite simply the funniest book of gay manners ever written, worth buying simply for the humour of the photos, let alone the actual "advice". Despite its age, and my urge to move to ebooks, I wouldn't part with my battered 1983 paperback copy for love, money or a night with Butch!

Monument Valley
Monument Valley

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully realised game, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Monument Valley (App)
A lovely little game that continues to drive me up the wall as I keep forgetting how I solved the puzzles last time. The graphics are especially well done. The first time I finished it, I went straight back to the beginning - what better recommendation or praise could there be?

WD 3 TB SATA lll Caviar Hard Drive - Green
WD 3 TB SATA lll Caviar Hard Drive - Green
Offered by Kikatek

4.0 out of 5 stars Bare..., 19 Jun. 2015
I've never had trouble with a WD Caviar drive before, and this one proved to be no exception. It's installed as the second drive in my system, partitioned into two unequal halves. It's giving me the unremarkable, constant trouble-free performance I've come to expect from Caviar drives, losing a star for the simple reason that it requires access to your bit-box. You get just the drive: no cables and no screws to hold it in place. Otherwise, an excellent piece of kit...

La Vie Electronique Vol. 16
La Vie Electronique Vol. 16

3.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, but you really shouldn't..., 5 Jun. 2015
Well, It's not as accessible as its predecessors, and does have something of a factory floor sweepings feeling to it. Let's face it, it's a "for the fans" release, not an introduction to Schulze's music, for which I'd recommend buying several albums, each from different periods. Therefore I'll refrain from comment on the music itself which is exactly what the people it's aimed will be expecting, the only real (pleasant) surprise being the final track "Just Skins" in which Schulze returns to his musical roots with a 24 minute percussion solo. It could really have been cut down to just three CDs without any great loss.

The marketing is what's soured the mix for me: why is the mp3 album more expensive? At least in converting the CD release to mp3 versions I've been able to reassemble the longer pieces from the parts offered by the CD with more success than from mp3, which is how I bought volumes 1 to 15. Is Genesis' "Supper's Ready" ever split into its seven distinct sections other than on the original vinyl where, although track markers are present the music is continuous? And again I got caught by the pre-release price, with it suddenly dropping a few quid after release.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 12:31 AM BST

SCRABBLE
SCRABBLE

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't!, 28 May 2015
This review is from: SCRABBLE (App)
Don't bother... I bought this as Scrabble on FB wasn't loading. A couple of days after buying it, it's stopped working, just a blank screen. On my PC I can see when someone makes a move on one of my games, but I can't get in via PC or this app that for a day or two linked so seamlessly with FB...

Mr. Benson: A Novel
Mr. Benson: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars words of leather and lust, 23 May 2015
Mr. Benson is probably John Preston's most famous book. As usual with any review I write of a book I won't give a synopsis of the plot, save to say that it's set in the leatherspace of New York City before HIV was known to be around. It was so influential that it spawned two t-shirts, each with a slogan that only differed in punctuation: "Looking for Mr Benson..." and "Looking for Mr Benson?" Everyone gay man involved in BDSM knew this book, and it's iconic status continues today with a film currently, finally, in pre-production. In the eighties I, then a budding pervert in his twenties, bought every John Preston book I could find, as they each spoke to me in words of leather and lust of a world of domination and submission where pain was a gift to be treasured. Few of John Preston's books are available now, and fewer on Kindle, but each I see I buy. On the face of it Mr. Benson is a basic thriller in terms of its main driving plot, what made it revolutionary was its acceptance of BDSM as completely normal and the knowledge of the reader that John Preston was writing for him because he understood his readers: he lived in the same world as us, a rare and precious thing in those days to read erotica for us, about us, by a man who was one of us. John Preston is to gay male erotic writing what Tom of Finland is to gay male art. Buy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15