Profile for Steve Craftman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Monument Valley
Monument Valley

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully realised game, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Monument Valley (App)
A lovely little game that continues to drive me up the wall as I keep forgetting how I solved the puzzles last time. The graphics are especially well done. The first time I finished it, I went straight back to the beginning - what better recommendation or praise could there be?

WD 3 TB SATA lll Caviar Hard Drive - Green
WD 3 TB SATA lll Caviar Hard Drive - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Bare..., 19 Jun. 2015
I've never had trouble with a WD Caviar drive before, and this one proved to be no exception. It's installed as the second drive in my system, partitioned into two unequal halves. It's giving me the unremarkable, constant trouble-free performance I've come to expect from Caviar drives, losing a star for the simple reason that it requires access to your bit-box. You get just the drive: no cables and no screws to hold it in place. Otherwise, an excellent piece of kit...

La Vie Electronique Vol. 16
La Vie Electronique Vol. 16

3.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, but you really shouldn't..., 5 Jun. 2015
Well, It's not as accessible as its predecessors, and does have something of a factory floor sweepings feeling to it. Let's face it, it's a "for the fans" release, not an introduction to Schulze's music, for which I'd recommend buying several albums, each from different periods. Therefore I'll refrain from comment on the music itself which is exactly what the people it's aimed will be expecting, the only real (pleasant) surprise being the final track "Just Skins" in which Schulze returns to his musical roots with a 24 minute percussion solo. It could really have been cut down to just three CDs without any great loss.

The marketing is what's soured the mix for me: why is the mp3 album more expensive? At least in converting the CD release to mp3 versions I've been able to reassemble the longer pieces from the parts offered by the CD with more success than from mp3, which is how I bought volumes 1 to 15. Is Genesis' "Supper's Ready" ever split into its seven distinct sections other than on the original vinyl where, although track markers are present the music is continuous? And again I got caught by the pre-release price, with it suddenly dropping a few quid after release.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 12:31 AM BST

SCRABBLE
SCRABBLE

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't!, 28 May 2015
This review is from: SCRABBLE (App)
Don't bother... I bought this as Scrabble on FB wasn't loading. A couple of days after buying it, it's stopped working, just a blank screen. On my PC I can see when someone makes a move on one of my games, but I can't get in via PC or this app that for a day or two linked so seamlessly with FB...

Mr. Benson: A Novel
Mr. Benson: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars words of leather and lust, 23 May 2015
Mr. Benson is probably John Preston's most famous book. As usual with any review I write of a book I won't give a synopsis of the plot, save to say that it's set in the leatherspace of New York City before HIV was known to be around. It was so influential that it spawned two t-shirts, each with a slogan that only differed in punctuation: "Looking for Mr Benson..." and "Looking for Mr Benson?" Everyone gay man involved in BDSM knew this book, and it's iconic status continues today with a film currently, finally, in pre-production. In the eighties I, then a budding pervert in his twenties, bought every John Preston book I could find, as they each spoke to me in words of leather and lust of a world of domination and submission where pain was a gift to be treasured. Few of John Preston's books are available now, and fewer on Kindle, but each I see I buy. On the face of it Mr. Benson is a basic thriller in terms of its main driving plot, what made it revolutionary was its acceptance of BDSM as completely normal and the knowledge of the reader that John Preston was writing for him because he understood his readers: he lived in the same world as us, a rare and precious thing in those days to read erotica for us, about us, by a man who was one of us. John Preston is to gay male erotic writing what Tom of Finland is to gay male art. Buy it!

Harry Potter (6 Book Series)
Harry Potter (6 Book Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars or people will begin to think that you're in this for the money rather than the love of books, 20 May 2015
Oh, Amazon! Use your brains... It's a seven book series, as you acknowledge in the description of the seventh book. You should receive a Howler for this error! Restore the Prisoner of Azkaban to its correct place in the series, or people will begin to think that you're in this for the money rather than the love of books.

Roxio Creator NXT 2 (PC)
Roxio Creator NXT 2 (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazon rip-off, 19 May 2015
This review is from: Roxio Creator NXT 2 (PC) (CD-ROM)
I bought this version as I was directed to it as being the latest version of the software by Amazon. However, on installing it I discover that there is a newer version available that Amazon were stocking. Having dealth with Amazon for a good fifteen years now, I'm disappointed by what I can only see as sharp practiceon their part. As for the software itself, it's much as any Roxio release: somewhat buggy with a tendency to fall over at times, but stll an improvement on the competition.

Sorcerers Tarot Cards
Sorcerers Tarot Cards
by Lo Scarabeo
Edition: Cards

1.0 out of 5 stars and the situation is worse with the minors, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Sorcerers Tarot Cards (Cards)
I regret to say that there has been a new edition of these cards since the deck used at www.aeclectic.net for illustrative purposes was produced and also since the illustrative photo was taken for Amazon.

All titles have now been removed and the artwork itself has been fiddled with. The major arcana now simply bear the number of the trunp, and the situation is worse with the minors. The suit symbol appears at the top of the card and its number at the base. One thing I cannot bear is a minor arcanum that does not show in its illustration the appropriate number of the suit symbol: to me they are an integral part of the card. Of the number cards illustrated on the samples page at Aeclectic, the two cups have been replaced by a piece of knotwork, the two staves are entirely missing as are the nine swords. The six pentacles have been replaced by a panel of knotwork. For me, the removal of the suit symbols is little short of vandalism and renders the deck unusable. Aside from this, something I could not have known before buying the deck is the way men remain completely clothed while women (all young - it seems only men age) seem to take every opportunity to remove their clothes. The female charioteers, for example, is seen flying away from the viewer at an angle of about 110 degrees wearing a tall pointed hat and a cloth around her waist which has slipped down to show her behind. Unnecessary and, to my mind, contrary to the meaning of the card.

Frankly I can't even stomach the idea of giving this deck to a raffle, lest someone think that I thought it a good example of Tarot (I have a hundred decks that show I know a good Tarot deck when I see one) One star only because the system doesn't allow zero ratings. A complete and utter waste of money.

Prophets, Seers & Sages: Angels Of The Ages
Prophets, Seers & Sages: Angels Of The Ages

5.0 out of 5 stars The one that always gets overlooked..., 28 Jan. 2015
This is the album that tends to get overlooked, released within months of "My People were Fair...", and in its original vinyl format, horribly short at just over 30 minutes. Here, you get the original album in its mono mix, followed by One Inch Rock, the single released with the album, and a slew of tracks from the Marc at the BBC set. Disc 2 is even more interesting with a version of the original album (this time in stereo) composed of alternate takes of each track, giving an insight into the creativity of the duo. This is followed by a collection of alternate takes so that some songs appear three times on the two disks, but the differences between takes show the evolution of the songs.

The sleeve notes are excellent and well-illustrated. Plus you get the lyric sheet, though this unfortunately doesn't include One Inch Rock or Nickelodeon (the one track that was never released in Bolan's lifetime). Previous releases have been of the stereo version, and there are subtle differences between the two mixes. Far from being a completist's purchase, this is a great version of an under-rated album. An essential purchase.

HIV/AIDS: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
HIV/AIDS: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: published seven years ago and a lot has changed since then, 16 Jan. 2015
Beware: this was published in 2008 and is therefore liable to be full of out of date information. My advice as a person living with HIV, that I often give to people who are recently diagnosed, is to ignore anything factual that was published more than a year ago, eighteen months at the maximum. Admittedly I'm referring to internet sites with that advice, but it's just as applicable to books, unless, as in the case of Sir Norman Fowler's excellent (never thought I'd use that word about a Tory!) "Aids: Don't Die of Ignorance" which falls into the "history" category.

This only gets a star because the reviewing system forces a star rating. Consider this a no star review!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15