Profile for Steve Craftman > Reviews

Sorcerers Tarot Cards
by Lo Scarabeo
Edition: Cards

1.0 out of 5 stars and the situation is worse with the minors, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Sorcerers Tarot Cards (Cards)
I regret to say that there has been a new edition of these cards since the deck used at www.aeclectic.net for illustrative purposes was produced and also since the illustrative photo was taken for Amazon.

All titles have now been removed and the artwork itself has been fiddled with. The major arcana now simply bear the number of the trunp, and the situation is worse with the minors. The suit symbol appears at the top of the card and its number at the base. One thing I cannot bear is a minor arcanum that does not show in its illustration the appropriate number of the suit symbol: to me they are an integral part of the card. Of the number cards illustrated on the samples page at Aeclectic, the two cups have been replaced by a piece of knotwork, the two staves are entirely missing as are the nine swords. The six pentacles have been replaced by a panel of knotwork. For me, the removal of the suit symbols is little short of vandalism and renders the deck unusable. Aside from this, something I could not have known before buying the deck is the way men remain completely clothed while women (all young - it seems only men age) seem to take every opportunity to remove their clothes. The female charioteers, for example, is seen flying away from the viewer at an angle of about 110 degrees wearing a tall pointed hat and a cloth around her waist which has slipped down to show her behind. Unnecessary and, to my mind, contrary to the meaning of the card.

Frankly I can't even stomach the idea of giving this deck to a raffle, lest someone think that I thought it a good example of Tarot (I have a hundred decks that show I know a good Tarot deck when I see one) One star only because the system doesn't allow zero ratings. A complete and utter waste of money.

Prophets, Seers & Sages: Angels Of The Ages
Prophets, Seers & Sages: Angels Of The Ages

5.0 out of 5 stars The one that always gets overlooked..., 28 Jan. 2015
This is the album that tends to get overlooked, released within months of "My People were Fair...", and in its original vinyl format, horribly short at just over 30 minutes. Here, you get the original album in its mono mix, followed by One Inch Rock, the single released with the album, and a slew of tracks from the Marc at the BBC set. Disc 2 is even more interesting with a version of the original album (this time in stereo) composed of alternate takes of each track, giving an insight into the creativity of the duo. This is followed by a collection of alternate takes so that some songs appear three times on the two disks, but the differences between takes show the evolution of the songs.

The sleeve notes are excellent and well-illustrated. Plus you get the lyric sheet, though this unfortunately doesn't include One Inch Rock or Nickelodeon (the one track that was never released in Bolan's lifetime). Previous releases have been of the stereo version, and there are subtle differences between the two mixes. Far from being a completist's purchase, this is a great version of an under-rated album. An essential purchase.

HIV/AIDS: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
HIV/AIDS: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: published seven years ago and a lot has changed since then, 16 Jan. 2015
Beware: this was published in 2008 and is therefore liable to be full of out of date information. My advice as a person living with HIV, that I often give to people who are recently diagnosed, is to ignore anything factual that was published more than a year ago, eighteen months at the maximum. Admittedly I'm referring to internet sites with that advice, but it's just as applicable to books, unless, as in the case of Sir Norman Fowler's excellent (never thought I'd use that word about a Tory!) "Aids: Don't Die of Ignorance" which falls into the "history" category.

This only gets a star because the reviewing system forces a star rating. Consider this a no star review!

How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps
How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps

5.0 out of 5 stars Look forward to re-reading..., 24 Sept. 2014
Disclaimer: Jo was kind enough to mention me in the dedications because I was going to be giving some advice (if necessary), but I had to drop out due to illness, and so bought my copy.

So, even though I had half the book on my hard drive months ago I made a point of not looking at it as I wasn't "entitled" and midnight before last Amazon dropped it onto my Kindle. I read until my Kindle kept crashing into my glasses, and, yesterday, after clearing up emails and so on returned to the book. If ever you've read any of my book reviews you'll know that I never bother summarising plots - that's a sales-person's job. What I write is my response to the book.

The basic set-up (inexperienced straight Top being taught by slutty (intended in the same positive sense as I'd describe myself) gay bottom) works well. There have too many times I've picked up Mr Right Now, got half way through it and stood up, forcing him to his knees and saying "this is how you do it". Eddie is more subtle than I ever was, but then I learned my BDSM skills through the principle that you have to know what it feels like before doing it to someone else.

Jeff is written well, just enough "eeuw, gay" in his manner to say that sex with men is something he's never considered. His experience with women since his wife left him has been disappointing as he's been too full on, basically too self-centred. His evolution throughout the book is more interesting than Eddie's. After all he's a newcomer to a scene that Eddie has long lived in. But that's what Eddie teaches him (apart from giving him new ideas): BDSM is a two way street. It would be fun if Jo revisits the pair of them when they open out their relationship...

The "supporting cast" are interesting in themselves and contribute to the unfolding story, rather than being a distraction from the sex, which, to be honest, is the meat of the book. And no I won't apologise for the hackneyed pun! There's something for everyone who is sex-positive in this book, even though it's central characters are men. It's not that hard to translate the action to your own gender and preference. And on the non-sexual side of the book, there's a scene towards the end of the book that had me wiping the tears away.

Jo, I don't suppose you have phone numbers for Jeff and Eddie? (Can't hurt to ask!)

Medimax Large Tablet Organiser
Medimax Large Tablet Organiser
Offered by zig_zag_lane_books

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this box very much and would recommend it unreservedly ..., 19 July 2014
Up until twelve years or so ago, the drug companies used to give away a basic version of this. I have HIV disease with complications and thus have a daily pill burden of 30 pills or so. What the hell? They're keeping me alive! Each compartment is large enough to take the entire complement of pills for that time of day. The outer case is impressive and explains the high price, being made of an admittedly thin leather, together with a press stud closure - no more finding that the box has "leaked" and scattered several days' pills through my backpack! I like this box very much and would recommend it unreservedly to any non-vegan with a high daily pill burden.

Golla Vincent Cover, White  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation), Kindle (5th Generation) and Kindle (7th Generation)]
Golla Vincent Cover, White [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation), Kindle (5th Generation) and Kindle (7th Generation)]

1.0 out of 5 stars Still too awkward, 5 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazon sent me two of these cover and apparently want separate reviews for each of them. The elastic holding the Kindle in place is beginning to get that old, stretched out feeling, although this hasn't made removing and replacing the Kindle any easier, and important consideration for someone with even mild difficulty using their hands. The outer cover seems to be made from some sort of vinyl which has a vaguely slippery feeling to it. It's easy to imagine it falling from your hands on public transport if there's a sudden bump. It's going to be replaced by a simple leather cover.

Body Counts: A Memoir of Politics, Sex, AIDS, and Survival
Body Counts: A Memoir of Politics, Sex, AIDS, and Survival

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, but perhaps not for those new newly diagnosed with HIV, 31 Jan. 2014
This book, which I’d eagerly awaited since learning of its impending publication, is one of the most difficult books I’ve read. Not because it’s written in an impenetrable style, or full needs a dictionary of drugs or a medical qualification, but because of its matter-of-fact accounts of the confusion, terror, hope, tears, love, support, defiance and strength that we people with HIV have lived with for the past thirty-odd years.

I bought the Kindle edition on Tuesday morning and found myself surprised to have finished it on Saturday evening. Although the Kindle edition doesn’t have real page numbers, the final 25% of the book consists of the most detailed index I think I’ve ever seen, and though the index uses page numbers, they take you to the correct place in the book. You will need paper hankies: I think I cried about every five page turns.

It’s largely a memoir, but with one hell of a slice of history. The history of HIV in America seen through eyes of the author. Details aren’t spared: Sean’s description of his pulmonary KS reminded me of a friend who had to sleep sitting upright for fear of a KS lesion blocking his windpipe. (If it seems over-familiar to refer to the author by his first name it’s because there’s so much of himself in the book that I feel I know as much about him as I do about some of my closest friends.)

The memoir and broader history are intermingled. Naturally I can’t comment on the memoir, not knowing Sean, but the broader history tallies exactly with what I remember as we pored over imported copies of The Advocate and other imported US magazines. Details are spot on in the 80s, but more sparse in the 90s as Sean’s health declined.

From the introduction of protease inhibitors, and “the Lazarus effect” the book becomes more memoir than history as Sean rebuilds his life from being at the point where he had a CD4 count of 1. There’s a lot of name dropping, but then he was at one point before HIV looking to political office. And unlike many people with HIV in America he was never homeless or so poor he struggled for food.

Read it: there are times when it hurts like hell; for myself I found myself running almost a side-window of what was going on in the UK at the same time, remembering people and incidents I haven’t thought about in years. It’s not a wallow in nostalgia: it’s the story of the fights it took to get to today.

I don’t believe in summarising a book in reviews (as you’d see if you looked at my other reviews here), but prefer to reflect on how a book has affected me. And this one cuts deep. I started keeping notes of things to mention in this review, but quickly realised that it would be invidious to mention one fact over another. I’m going to need time to absorb what I’ve read, and I’m going to have to read it again, perhaps, with slightly drier, more critical eyes.

If you’ve just been diagnosed with HIV, wait. You need to have found your balance with your new life before you read this as it’s so blunt, at times, in its accounts of illness. Illness that you’ll probably never see. If you’ve reached an accommodation with your little passenger, you’re comfortable with your drugs and you’ve got used to your clinic visits, then this really is essential reading.

This review was originally written for the online magazine [...], hence the assumption that the reader is HIV positive.

It's Raining Men
It's Raining Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Say no to bigotry, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: It's Raining Men (MP3 Download)
A dancefloor classic, to use and over-used phrase: and buying it this week to get it to the top of the chart sends a message to the bigots that (a) we know about humour and irony and (b) we're not swallowing your nonsense.

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for Thoth readers, 26 Dec. 2013
I've had the Thoth deck as one of my main working decks for twenty five years or so - I tend to have a selection of of four or five decks I can work with at any one point: the rest of my eighty or so decks are there because I like the artwork but don't feel I could read with them.

I've read the Book of Thoth many times, but have always left it almost as mystified as I was when I started reading it. Common gossip has it that Crowley was off his face when writing the Book of Thoth. What this book does is to explain what was actually meant (even including a few "I haven't a clue about this" remarks. It's basically the Book of Thoth written in accessible language. The Book of Thoth makes a little more sense now, but it's to this book I turn when I want to study a card in depth.

It's notable in that I bought the paperback, but when I got a Kindly I bought the somewhat overpriced Kindle version too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 1:48 PM GMT

TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Grey
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars The answer to the irritating touchpad, 17 Dec. 2013
Over the years I've had numerous laptops, all with touchpad mice, a piece of technology I still can't get used to. This mouse sits comfortably in the hand and is adequately sensitive. The receiver works well enough when attached to a USB hub, which I prefer. The problem with cordless mice is that the receivers have become so small they're very fragile (it wouldn't be the first time I've caught the received and broken it). Perhaps the answer is to make the receiver part of a USB hub. Bulkier, but ultimately safer and longer lasting...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14