Profile for Steve Craftman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Loaded: Reloaded 45th Anniversary Edition
Loaded: Reloaded 45th Anniversary Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellence flawed by carelessness, 30 Oct. 2015
Much as it pains me, I can only give this edition of Loaded four stars. The book is lovely, in line with the books for the other three albums. But instead of having the track listing on the back of the book there's a sheet of paper stuck to it. I immediately removed the paper to protect it, but it's just that little bit too big to go inside the book and will have to be folded. Kinda irritating when this is supposed to be the "last word" definitive edition of Loaded.

There's very little here that most Velvets fans won't have heard: for me the only "new" music is on disc 2: the mono promo version of the album and the two singles (one unreleased), but all four tracks are from Loaded. On the plus side, it does contain Sweet Jane as originally released, the version that Lou hated.

I much preferred the Fully Loaded approach to the album, the second disc reconstructing the album, but using alternate versions and demos. Here we have session out-takes, demos, early versions and alternate mixes presented in groups at the end of disc one and taking up all of disc 3.

Loaded of course belongs with Live at Max's Kansas City, but in squeezing Max's onto one disc, Who Loves the Sun and the second version of Sweet Jane have been dropped along with the little radio promo that was on the two disc version of Max's as an historical curio. What grates here is that the dropped tracks could have filled up some spare space on the first disc which is less than an hour long.

The second best-known bootleg from this period appears here as disc 5, Live at Second Fret. The bootleg has been well circulated and I would imagine anyone willing to pay out for this set will also have got hold of a copy of the bootleg. However, it's been through a studio cleanup, so the sound is improved a little. I have to admit that it's not the most energising recording I've ever heard and I'd imagine its presence here is more to fill the role of providing a bootleg in the package same as the other three albums, forgetting that Max's itself started life as a bootleg recording.

Disk 6 is an audio only DVD offering four mixes of the album, with dreadful graphics based on the cover of Loaded. The graphics have a nasty grainy look to them and are not improved by the clashing magenta of the selection bar. Apparently at one point I Found a Reason and Head Held High were going to be segued together, so on a couple of mixes these tracks are reversed in the running order to account for the segue, which really just amounts to a lack of silence between the two tracks. To me, the DVD is a waste: despite the remastering and the surround sound mix I can hear the "dust" of a 45 year old recording that bit more clearly. I'm afraid the audiophile content is wasted on me, and I suspect is only there to push up the price.

I love Loaded as I love pretty much every VU recording I've heard (and I've probably heard more than my fair share of bootlegs). This is a beautiful package let down by the record company over-extending themselves with the DVD, and missing tracks out from Max's even though there's still room for them on another disc. Finally, don't be fooled by the autorip: unlike the other albums where the entire set is presented as mp3 files, what you get here is "the American version", which is just the ten tracks of the original album, I would presume from the Fully Loaded version of the album. I'm afraid both the record company and Amazon have let themselves down with this one, which is why I'm regretfully only giving the package 4 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2015 6:25 PM GMT

Dragonsdawn
Dragonsdawn

4.0 out of 5 stars a republication: check your Kindle that you haven't already got this!, 28 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Dragonsdawn (Kindle Edition)
Note that this is simply a new edition of the book (well worth reading for those who "get" Pern), but don't be fooled by the lack of "you bought this on <date>" information: same text, different cover...

Wooden Tarot Card Box With Engraved Pentagram (17x13cm)
Wooden Tarot Card Box With Engraved Pentagram (17x13cm)
Offered by Piquaboo

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading sizing..., 19 Sept. 2015
A pleasant enough box, spoiled only by the extremely stiff hinges (first time I opened it I had to use a knife blade to twist it open) and the fact that the measurements given are the EXTERNAL measurements. Internally it's 14cm x 10.5cm. I'd bought it for a specific deck (a private printing which didn't have a box) which is just slightly too high at about 14.5cm. So I have a very nice card box, which will probably end up being given away as a present or else used for another purpose than the one I wanted it for...

TeckNet® USB 3.0 Hard Drives Docking Station With Highly Durable ABS Plastic for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch SATA HDD (SATA I / II / III) Support 4TB, Including USB 3.0 Cable and External Power Supply 12V 2.5A, Comaptible with Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 - Backwards Compatible USB 2.0 with Tool-free, Black
Offered by Hippidion.Store

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect solution!, 11 Sept. 2015
Over the past few years I've lost not one but three external hard drives. A 2005 drive, with a massive 250Gb of storage was long ago sent to the recycling centre, though its twin, lives and works to this day. Two Western Digital 1Tb external drive ceased to work and I've long suspected that at least one of them still held a functioning hard drive, that it was the extra electronics to provide a USB port that might have gone. This little device has allowed me to verify that one of the 1Tb drives is actually dead (I'll beat it up with a hammer and steep it in bleach later in case it contains anything private), but with the other drive, it was the extra electronics that failed. The drive is currently sitting in the dock disgorging its contents onto my main machine prior to having Windows maintenance thrown at it to ensure its health. And those hard drives that have been sitting in the drawer can come out to be tested too: this dock provides an excellent cheap solution to the transport of files between locations - all you need is a spare hard drive. It costs little more than a 64Gb memory stick and can handle "naked" drives up to 4Tb. And if you're like me you can't throw your old machine out without extracting everything that might be useful - now an easier way of using a spare hard drive than balancing it on a few paperbacks while you temporarily attach it to the motherboard. So simple that the most ardent luddite could use it. The only reason I've marked it down a star is because the base unit has a slightly cheap'n'nasty feel to it. I'd gladly have paid another fiver to have a more sold feeling base. Buy with confidence.

byteStor Pro 64GB USB 3.0 High Speed Flash Drive - Red
byteStor Pro 64GB USB 3.0 High Speed Flash Drive - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection..., 24 Aug. 2015
It does exactly what you expect it to and damn fast about it too! I bought several and used them to back up a friend's data when I was working to repair his Windows installation. No problem whatsoever (except for the pinch-ability!)...

WD 2 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive for Plug-and-Play Storage
WD 2 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive for Plug-and-Play Storage

1.0 out of 5 stars I just don't trust WD any more, 30 July 2015
This is the third WD drive I've had fail (the first to fail went soon after I'd bought the third) and I've had enough of depending on Western Digital's previously good name. Fortunately, with each drive's failure I had enough warning to rescue most of what was stored on it (the 2Tb drive is currently undergoing deep examination by AVG's Disk Doctor). I've lost my trust in WD's external drives and will soon be looking for a replacement external drive, as even with a "repair" by Disk Doctor, I cannot trust the drive sufficiently. Amd when it comes to data trust is what it's about...

Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV) (Expanded Edition)
Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV) (Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gebrauchsmusik, 18 July 2015
Brian Eno's ambient music is strange and other-worldly. He described it himself as hologrammatic, meaning that once you've heard a few minutes of it, you've heard the lot. Neroli itself is a slow gentle piece in which nothing happens: it's as though a slightly echoed keyboard is talking to itself. The bonus track, New Space Music is another hour-long piece, and has a little more about it, but ultimately, like Neroli, serves to fill in the silence. It's easy to forget the music is playing and when that happens you haven't missed anything: It's the sort of music you'd play to hide a neighbour's party, giving you some music that you can control rather than the random sound of next door. Beautiful, but forgettable.

Do Well
Do Well

5.0 out of 5 stars A completist's release, 18 July 2015
This review is from: Do Well (MP3 Download)
All the tracks here are available elsewhere, notably in the track 20 minute long "Do Well" on the deluxe version of "A Secret Wish". Here, each mix is presented as a separate track, which saves you from using an audio editor to isolate the different versions. Musically, well: it's Propaganda - you either love them or loathe them. An enormous wall of beautifully crafted 80s dance music.

The Butch Manual
The Butch Manual

5.0 out of 5 stars How to do gay humour, 18 July 2015
This review is from: The Butch Manual (Paperback)
A classic, though of its (pre-HIV) time. Quite simply the funniest book of gay manners ever written, worth buying simply for the humour of the photos, let alone the actual "advice". Despite its age, and my urge to move to ebooks, I wouldn't part with my battered 1983 paperback copy for love, money or a night with Butch!

Monument Valley
Monument Valley

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully realised game, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Monument Valley (App)
A lovely little game that continues to drive me up the wall as I keep forgetting how I solved the puzzles last time. The graphics are especially well done. The first time I finished it, I went straight back to the beginning - what better recommendation or praise could there be?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15