Profile for Victoria > Reviews

Content by Victoria

Victoria

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Can feel confident that my newborn is snug and warm, 6 April 2014
I bought the 0-3 month size base layer set for my 6 week old (who is now 10 weeks old).

Merino is such a fantastic material. There is so much to worry about with a new baby, trusting merino to regulate my baby's temperature means one less thing to think about and for that I am very grateful. He is a long thin baby but the material has plenty of stretch and I'm sure I'll be able to use it beyond the 0-3 age bracket.

I also love the way that I can fit him out in the set and not have to worry about extra accessories for his hands and feet (it has fold over hand mitts and rather ingenious foot cover-ups too).

Merino 4 Season Baby Sleeping Bag. Size 0-2 years - Blue
Merino 4 Season Baby Sleeping Bag. Size 0-2 years - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy snuggly baby, 16 Mar. 2014
I started using this sleeping bag with my little boy (who is now 20 months old) about two months ago. A couple of things I really love:

1. The material. My little one is a bit of a soft things addict, and he actually giggled with delight when first placed in this sleeping bag. I honestly think that it has made nap/bed times easier all round. I've noticed that when he is fractious, overtired, and trying to avoid a nap, the comfort of the merino seems to diffuse his anger and calm him to sleep.
2. The length. In his old (shorter) sleeping bag he could easily escape by standing up and bursting out of the poppers. This resulted in a cold and grumpy toddler who had to cry to be placed back in again. The Superlove sleeping bag is extra long and as well as a reduced number of 'Houdini episodes', it will last for ages!

It's not a cheap purchase, but value per sleep, even for a toddler, has been well worthwhile. I'm looking forward to putting my newborn in one as soon as possible!

The Great British Bake Off: How to turn everyday bakes into showstoppers
The Great British Bake Off: How to turn everyday bakes into showstoppers
by Linda Collister

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes, 13 Dec. 2012
I picked up this book specifically to get the recipe for Chelsea buns (Paul's version). Now, as I sit here with my buns in the oven, I have discovered mistakes! Having never made Chelsea buns before, I picked this as I presumed that it would be a reliable and tested recipe. After spending a good part of this evening kneading and resting dough, I sat down to watch the Paul Hollywood demonstration of this recipe on Youtube.

To start with, the ingredients omit the use of SUGAR in the dough. With it being a dough, and not a sponge (plus my inexperience), I failed to pick up on this. Then Youtube Paul directly contradicts GBBO book Paul with regards to oil in the bowl (in which you place the resting dough). In the video he clearly says this is something you do NOT do, in the book you are instructed to put your bowl with oil. Oh, and the resting times differ from '30 minutes resting' (book) to 'at least an hour' (Youtube).

These mistakes have destroyed my confidence in the reliability of the book. There is no point in my using it if I have to do a search of other recipes first to check that the accuracy of the instructions and more unforgivably, the ingredients are correct. I hope these points are clarified in future editions, but I suspect the rush to publish this in time for the end of the series contributed to, in my opinion, a cardinal cookbook sin. Sorry GBBO, you can do better!