Profile for Jemma D > Reviews

Content by Jemma D

Jemma D "Jemma" (UK)

The Dress (Everyday Magic Trilogy: Book 1)
The Dress (Everyday Magic Trilogy: Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 22 Nov. 2012
The book as a whole isn't bad, I read the whole thing within a couple of days and was eager to see how it would end. Unfortunately, as I passed the halfway mark, I realised the drama that was building didn't seem to be going anywhere. Throughout the book much is made of Fabbia's background so naturally I expected this to be the cause of the major conflict of the story but, actually, there isn't much prejudice against her background at all! To me it mostly seems to be in Fabbia's mind after having a bad experience (causing her to move to York in the first place I assume).

The best parts of the book take place in the vintage dress shop where it is revealed that Fabbia has a real talent for dress-making and getting to know her customers. Also Ella is an interesting character portraying the anxious teen trying to fit into a new place well. Aside from this there a few too many plot points that don't seem to lead anywhere which lead me to be disappointed. There's also a couple of more shocking aspects that are quickly brushed over and a bit out of context. A lot of the story is unnecessary to the plot and is distracting to what could've been a simple and lovely story.