ARRAY(0xac862bc4)

Profile for D. A. Rees > Reviews

Content by D. A. Rees

D. A. Rees (Christchurch, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
This Is Where We Are
This Is Where We Are
Price: 12.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, great voice!, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: This Is Where We Are (Audio CD)
I bought this cd as I had discovered Marc's excellent voice through Mandalaband and Riversea (check these out if you haven't already). The cd is immediately familiar and is the sort of music I could listen to no matter how I am feeling. Marc tours extensively in the north of England so for a southern resident like me it is an ambition to see him perform some of these songs live one day.
Having written this review has inspired me to listen to the cd again! I recommend you do too!

Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest shows ever made!, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is quite simply magnificent. I won't go into detail about the situation involved as other reviews have dealt with this admirably. I will concentrate on the fact that this is brilliant writing and beautiful acting at it's best. In each episode there are moments of humour, often laugh out loud but also genuine moments of sensitivity and empathy. I have often found my self laughing and crying within seconds of each other. For a programme to be funny, respectful, sensitive, thought provoking, challenging and emotive as this is rare. The characters are great and the acting sublime. The care home leader Hannah is magnificent and Ricky Gervais is wonderful in the title role.
You are left with the message that kindness is the greatest human trait, the greatest gift and the greatest thing we can do. To show kindness to others will improve so many lives, we need to do it.
I cannot understand anyone not liking this, I know people are entitled to disagree but to not like this probably means that you are not comfortable in your own skin. Try some kindness, it will undoubtedly help.

Skin
Skin
Price: 11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Skin Tight!, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
This is a real masterpiece! Panic Room just keep getting better and now are poised to turn heads in more rock circles than previously. This is a superb cd full of well crafted songs, beautifully played and magnificently sung. Many of the songs build to a climax that isn't necessarily loud but suits the mood and purpose expertly.
I pre-ordered this cd - it arrived a week ago and I have been unable to remove it from whichever cd player I am nearest to! At first I was bowled over by 'Chameleon' and 'Chances' then after a few more listens 'Song for tomorrow' began to work it's magic, now I love it all.
Panic Room are the sort of band we need, so please buy the cd and listen to it! There is an upsurge in interest in real music at last in the uk, we need to nurture this and appreciate it like they do in other parts of Europe!
By the time anyone reads this I will have seen them live in Poole and will no doubt have been entranced by the music and the vocal charm of Anne-Marie Helder. Catch them while you can, you won't regret it!

View Is Worth The Climb,The
View Is Worth The Climb,The
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 20.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim is worth your time!, 17 Dec 2011
This is exactly what you would want from a Tim Finn cd - beautifully crafted songs, heartfelt lyrics and an integrity lacking in many other artists. It's a shame this isn't on a bigger release, hopefully this will be rectified and Tim's music can again reach a wider audience. It's a cd packed with lovely songs, it's hard to not keep listening to it over and over again. Just listen to 'Going Going Gone' a truly beautiful song that can bring tears to your eyes. I recommend this - as Tim himself says ' it is worth the climb'.

Planet Jedward
Planet Jedward
Offered by Mo's Music & Media
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This joke isn't funny anymore!, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Planet Jedward (Audio CD)
Dismal!
OK so I'm not the target audience... then again who is? These 2 are tone deaf and talentless (unless making your hair stand up is a skill)
I saw tham at the x factor show and they were terrible... so much money has been spent on them and I guess the worst part of it is they think they are good.. this is now what we specialise in .. parading talentless people to be celebrities
There are so many really talented people out there who would love an opportunity... I just wish we would actually reward them instead.. the industry is stuffed full of airheads who look good...When you look at the vast majority of original bands, they are not good looking but they can write and play quality music... these 2 are about as bad as it gets and haven't ever had an original thought!
Woeful, depressing and shallow!

Demons: Series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Demons: Series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Philip Glenister
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD
Price: 11.83

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupendously bad!, 7 Jan 2011
I'm not taking this too seriously I assure you...
but this was so bad!
Why did Phil (hero) Glennister have to have a terrible American accent? Why couldn't the girl who was supposed to be blind act like she was blind (in one hilarious sequence she neatly sidestepped an obstacle she wouldn't have seen!)
but that's not the worst of it... the girl who played the main character's on/ off girlfriend was truly the worst, most annoying actress I've seen for a while (apart from Amanda Holden - who is just ghastly!)- every week I would watch in the vain hope that this ridiculous woman would get munched by a vampire !!! sadly not... she just kept wandering around being captured or just getting in the way!
Anyway - the shows were filled with daft stories, poor acting, non scary vampires (Mackenzie Crook looked scarier in the Office!) and it was a criminal waste of Phil G's talents!!

Bonekickers [DVD]
Bonekickers [DVD]
Price: 5.79

4.0 out of 5 stars So bad it's great!, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: Bonekickers [DVD] (DVD)
I've read a lot of reviews about this, many people seem to be genuinely insulted that this was shown. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it... it is so astonishingly and hilariously absurd - the archaeology is obviously nonsense but what do you expect??? In one series they seem to solve many riddles that have puzzled historians, theologians and archaeologists for hundreds of years! Marvellous - it's no more ridiculous than Dr Who but we are all quite happy to accept this without feeling insulted!
If you want to unwind from a tough day in the real world watching escapist tomfoolery - this is ideal!
It is not to be taken seriously,
Order take out food, put the dvd on and marvel at the sheer silliness of it all
If you are too stressed by it - seriously... calm down!
If you really want to complain about a series - try the appalling 'Demons' - the acting is worse than school nativity stuff!

BC - Ancestors
BC - Ancestors
Offered by ProgRock Wales
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic!, 22 July 2010
This review is from: BC - Ancestors (Audio CD)
I took a chance on this after hearing one track - I was not disappointed! The Cd is epic in all senses of the word, it traces incidents in ancient mythology from the story of Eden through ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia and Greece. Superb musicianship, haunting melodies and understated vocals make this compelling listening. You get the sense that these musicians are just enjoying the chance to play with other great musicians in a relaxed atmosphere bereft of egos and tensions that would probably be present if this was a full time band. All the musicians are involved in other projects and this depth of experience really shows in the fluidity of the playing and the realisation that together they are part of something special. It's always a joy, for example, to hear Troy Donockley's pipes, they just make your soul take flight!
It is hard to compartmentalise this music, it is rock, it has prog elements but to be honest it is just excellent, uplifting music - let's not worry about pigeon holing it! Just enjoy it!
Add to this a degree of lyrical expertise not often seen as writer David Rohl, an Egyptologist of renown, summarises the stories eloquently in a way that will probably kindle interest in classical mythology as towering figures like Rameses are brought to life and allowed to tell their own story to a fresh audience.
Since I bought this it has never been too far away from my cd player - I have also bought other copies for friends and family! No higher recommendation.
It is 30 years since their last cd, thankfully we will only have to wait a few months for the follow up, AD-Sangreal.
I shall be first in line!

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have one day spare...read this!, 22 July 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I took a chance on this as I had read Starter for Ten and enjoyed it - this, however, is much better!
The book is written about 2 people and how their lives intwine yet remain separate - I shall say no more! The characters are absorbing and although there are times when you could really shake one of them you still want to know what will happen and root for them to sort things out.
I read this book quickly as I was desperate to see the conclusion - one day I will read it again and take my time to enjoy it and the use of language more leisurely!
It is touching, absorbing and heartwarming in places!
Take it on holiday with you and just enjoy reading! It's a real treat!

Omega
Omega
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars From Alpha to Omega, but hopefully not the end!, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Omega (Audio CD)
I loved Asia when they first came out, their first album was a classic and then after the second album it all seemed to go wrong for a long time!
Finally, older and wiser, they are back and creating quality music which is moving and heartfelt. I have listened to this cd almost constantly since I bought it and love the rich textures of John Wetton's voice married so well with the extraordinary musical talents of the rest of the band. When four musicians of this quality write and record music that has the potential to make your spirits soar then it provides a wonderful soundtrack to your life.
You could criticise some of the lyrics as a bit twee but to do so would be nit picking.
Favourite track at the moment is 'through my veins' but to be honest I love it all - it reminds me of classic English prog in the IQ vein of the 80's!
This is a great cd, hopefully the band can continue to thrive and earn some appreciation in the media, record more new material and tour the UK soon!
I will be there!