Profile for Dhekelia > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
80s Madness - The Feelgood Hits Of The Decade
80s Madness - The Feelgood Hits Of The Decade

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite accurate, 30 April 2014
Small point but what are 'Lucky Numbers' and 'Pop Muzik' doing on here? They both came out in '79 - and the earlier part as well, so it's not as if they crossed over into the 80s.

Watch
Watch
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars What else can I say that hasn't already been said about this amazing album, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Watch (Audio CD)
I've loved the single "Davy's On The Road Again" ever since it came out way back in 1978. About 8 years ago curiosity got the better of me and I decided to check out the entire album. Often when that happens, you end up being disappointed with the single being oftentimes the strongest track on the album and the rest of the album consisting of weaker tracks and outright fillers. This is definitely not the case with this fine album. I've always thought Chris Thompson was a brilliant vocalist and this album is just jam-packed full of goodies. On the CD you get both the album and single version of "Davy's On The Road Again" and I love them both. The rest of the album is good solid classic rock music. I have a couple of Manfred Mann's Earth Band's other CDs but haven't connected with them in quite the same way that I did this one. I'll give them a few more spins. In the meantime, this one remains a classic and I'm so glad I followed my 'whim' eight years ago and bought this. Great music from a band of solid musicians.

The Journey The Very Best Of Donna Summer
The Journey The Very Best Of Donna Summer
Price: 24.93

4.0 out of 5 stars One gem missing, 17 July 2012
I've given this CD four stars only because although it's cram-packed full of classics, it's missing one real gem. For some reason unbeknown to me, the song "Winter Melody" had a very low chart placing in the UK when it was released as a single back in 1976, and perhaps for this reason, it's never included on any Donna Summer compilation, even the more recent ones. I urge anybody who likes Donna Summer at event he most superficial level to check out this track (you can download it from amazon for about 69p and it's so worth it). It's such a fantastic song and I really don't understand why it didn't get a higher chart placing. The genius Giorgio Morodor wrote it, who worked extensively with Donna, and his brilliant composing/arrangement style, matched with Donna's sultry and silky voice make this track an absolute treasure. So sad that it's never included on her important compilations and seems to be only available on her album "Four Seasons of Love". Keep Donna's legacy alive by listening to some of her lesser known songs, this one in particular and may this much talented lady's memory go on forever. RIP Donna, you really were a huge talent.

50 Words for Snow
50 Words for Snow
Price: 7.09

1.0 out of 5 stars "Progression" is not necessarily always a good thing, 10 Dec 2011
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
I would like to comment as much on other reviewers comments as I would on the album itself. First of all, having, like so many people on here been a Kate Bush fan since "Wuthering Heights" was released, I have followed her progress with each new release. I have to say though that in my opinion this album is sonically insipid and flat. I have no problem with the duration of the tracks themselves, it's just that if you're going to record longer tracks, you need to make sure they hold the listener's interest. As a good example, the Yes track 'Awaken' runs to just over 16 minutes and by the end of the track you are left gasping for air, there is so much to take in and the sheer quality of the music is staggering. I'm afraid it just isn't the case here at all. I would also like to comment on some reviewers attitude to those of us who haven't warmed to this album. There seems to be an implication that we have not 'progressed' with Kate and that albums such as The Kick Inside are full of 'nursery rhymes'. One individual commented that if the Beatles had just stuck to singing 'Love Me Do' for their entire careers, they would never have progressed. Whilst watching a documentary on Kate Bush that featured guests who had worked with her over a period of time, one musician actually said "Kate Bush had it all there right from the very beginning. She didn't need to develop, she'd already fully developed by the time she came to record 'The Kick Inside'. Besides which, I can think of other bands whose subsequent releases were not as strong as their earlier ones (IMHO 'Queen II' and 'Sheer Heart Attack' were Queens finest two albums, and after recording 'A Night At The Opera' they became a more radio-friendly chart-focussed band). So to sum up, I do not like this album and if people disagree with me that's fine, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but please do not leave patronising comments telling me I need to learn to progress with Kate. I wish Kate every happiness in her future life but I'm afraid (and no pun intended here) that at this point, our tracks go in separate directions in the snow!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 7:02 PM GMT

Sky - The Complete Series [DVD]
Sky - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marc Harrison
Price: 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Prophetically ahead of its time?, 28 Oct 2011
Other people have already commented on some of the ham acting, the awful music and the simplistic special effects. Once you get past that, you have a story about an alien entity that has come to the earth in the present time (1975 as it was then) by mistake. He is actually supposed to go into the future after the 'chaos and decline' of humanity. He is attacked by all plant life which sees him as a virus whereas his mission is to help people of the future - people who live more simplistic lives, to evolve 'and go amongst the stars'. He explains to Arby and his Sister that mankind is presently doomed and that there will be a time of great upheaval and change. Peoples minds are 'too complex' and they cannot accept simple spiritual truths (he doesn't actually use that phrase but that is what he is implying). It is only the future generations, the generations that come when all technology has long disappeared, who will be able to embrace the ideas that he has come to show them. Therefore he must find the 'Juganet', an energy force that will take him into the future time where he is supposed to be.

AND THIS WAS JUST A CHILDREN'S PROGRAMME!!! But then, as other people have pointed out, in the 1970s, childrens programmes were not dumbed down as they are today! What I find disturbing is that perhaps this could actually happen. At our present rate of consumption (not just fossil fuels but all other raw materials), these commodies could disappear quite rapidly and what will be left? Also, the Sun's Electro Magnetic Frequency, if it becomes too strong, could wipe out all information contained on silicon and the entire informaton technology infrastructure on this planet could be wiped out overnight ..... think of The Millennium Bug X 1000 and perhaps you may get an idea of the huge impact this could have on mankind. Perhaps there is a lesson for us all here and certainly when watching 'Sky', that lesson comes out loud and clear.

HTV West made some amazing children's TV back in the 70s and in my humble opinion (not IMHO as modern day 'phone text would have it) 'Sky' and 'Children Of The Stones' were right there at the top. I own both DVDs, having watched both series when they were first broadcast and I may sound like an old crony saying this but .... they really don't make programmes like that anymore!

Many thanks to Network DVD for issuing both of these series. DVDs to be treasured forever .... or at least until the chaos and decline.

Children of the Stones: The Complete Series [DVD]
Children of the Stones: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gareth Thomas
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 'Kid-ult' programme of the seventies, ever!, 18 Oct 2011
You only have to read other reviews to see just how great this series was when it was first broadcast back in the seventies. I won't comment on the series itself as it goes without saying that it was absolutely superb. I'll comment more on this new 'Network' edition. This is a two-disc edition, with the entire series being housed on the first DVD and the second DVD gives you 'tasters' of other programmes that were made around the same era by HTV West. 'Sky' is featured on there, as well as 'King of the Castle' amongst others, and I already have the DVD of 'Sky' (again distributed by Network). The only thing I think that's a shame is that it doesn't feature the interviews with Peter Graham Scott and Gareth Jones that were featured on the previous 'Second Sight' single disc edition. However, I'm really pleased that 'Network' managed to get the distribution rights as the 'Second Sight' edition seemed to go out of print shortly after it first came out. At least it will have a much longer shelf life with 'Network', and they've released many other great programmes from the past. Get this DVD today and enjoy QUALITY TV - in the days when X-Factor and Big Brother had never even been heard of! Oh if only we could turn back the clock! Happy Day to all who read this! If you watch this series you will indeed all be happy ones!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2011 1:28 AM GMT

The Best of Randy Crawford
The Best of Randy Crawford
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 14.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Album - Get The Ultimate Collection instead, 17 Aug 2011
Just had a look at the track listing on this CD and I'm scratching my head as to why they've released it. I've got 'The Ultimate Collection' which is a 2-CD set, there are nearly 40 songs on it and they're all absolute gems! This CD doesn't include Randy's superb version of "I've Never Been To Me" - much better than the original as well as a beautiful song called "When Your Life Was Low". I defy anybody to listen to that song and not shed a tear. This lady is pure class and you will do yourself a massive favour if you by-pass this CD and buy 'The Ultimate Collection' instead. It has all the classics on it as well as the tracks I've mentioned and so much more! One of the finest soul singers ever (alongside Gladys Knight, Dorothy Moore and Ruby Winters) and 'The Ultimate Collection' was one of the best purchases I ever made. It also contains a live version of the song 'Everything Must Change' and boy does she showcase her vocal prowess!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2011 11:45 AM BST

Deeper Understanding
Deeper Understanding
Price: 0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but it's definitely a case of the original being the best!, 8 April 2011
Ok, I've only heard the 30 second excerpt on here but that was more than enough! What happened to my Goddess? All those wonderful albums and then she let me down with Aerial and now this. Sad to say I won't be buying the album when it comes out. I'll console myself with the first six master pieces that she released and leave this well alone. I so want to get excited upon hearing the news of a new Kate Bush release just like I used to in days gone by. I don't know - maybe it's because I'm now middle aged but this just doesn't do it for me. Take my advice - listen to the original version on 'The Sensual World'. You really can't go wrong with that version. Kate, you'll always be my number one for all the brilliant albums you've produced in the past but I think sadly this is where we part company. :-(
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2011 11:20 AM BST

The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life: v. 1 (Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life)
by Drunvalo Melchizedek
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: 17.38

1.0 out of 5 stars Opium for the new age light weights, 1 Feb 2011
The saying "a fool and his money are easily parted" was very true of me 12 years ago when I was first introduced to this book and a course that was being run by a new age shop near me. Somebody I knew was raving about it and I decided to see what it was all about. Naively, I thought there may be something in it but I soon realised it was just a lot of padding and new age pap. In the book he talks about dolphins loving pregnant women, how watching tv and eating hamburgers will help you grow spiritually (I'm not joking) and all sorts of other mindless rubbish - and how people swallow it. I'm convinced that if I wrote a book of half-baked lunacy tomorrow and told people that I was the new messiah, there would be a whole group of people who would believe me. Unfortunately I have a conscience and couldn't live with myself for ripping people off. Of course if people want to buy books like this they have every right to but I would just ask people to read it with detachment and use your judgement before believing this sort of thing. How many times have we heard people say that the world is going to end? Didn't Nostradamus predict a catastrophe in 1999? Then again a comet was supposed to hit the earth in 2003. Remember the story of Chicken Licken (I think the American's call it "Chicken Little"). He's convinced the sky is falling down and gets all his friends to join him on his quest to find the king to tell him so .... and what happens to them all? They end up as lunch for a very hungry fox and his brood. Don't end up as fodder for the new age foxes - with the wisdom of age and hindsight, I can see how people can be so easily duped by this sort of rubbish and I urge people to see these new age flakes for what they really are.

Bright Lights And Back Alleys
Bright Lights And Back Alleys
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album by Smokie, 1 Feb 2011
Having always enjoyed Smokie's hits in the 70's I decided to check out some of their albums. I already had "The Montreux Album" which is pretty average (apart from the fabulous "Mexican Girl" - still can't believe that wasn't a top 10 hit but then again John Travolta and Olivia Newton John were hogging the charts at that time). Having recently bought this album and 'Midnight Cafe', I have to say that I prefer this one. I've always loved the singles "It's Your Life" and "Needles and Pins" so I knew there would be at least two songs that I really like on the album. But I've also really taken a shine to "Baby It's You", "Think Of Me" and "Dancer" (the latter being a Leo Sayer song which I didn't realise I already had on an album by him). "Sunshine Avenue" definitely has a very strong Queen influence with some of the backing vocals and I really think this album should have made the UK charts. Sadly Smokie never had album chart success in this country, but from what I can gather, neither did any of the other Chinnichap bands. I'm just pleased that their albums have been re-released on CD to give people the opportunity to listen to them. If you like Smokie's singles from the 70s, chances are you'll probably like this. Would also recommend a song called "The Night Has Turned Cold" by Chris Norman which you can get download as an mp3 track on amazon. He's still got that great voice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5