Profile for Blondesim > Reviews

Content by Blondesim

Blondesim (Cornwall, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Splatoon (Nintendo Wii U)
Splatoon (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by Turbotrance

4.0 out of 5 stars ... in this game until it released- it never looked like the kind of thing I would really get into, 14 Aug. 2015
I didnt have much interest in this game until it released- it never looked like the kind of thing I would really get into. After watching some gameplay I was convinced. The battles are suitably hectic and action packed.
The main game is based on the online turf wars, you and your team vs a rival team, competing to cover the most ground in your coloured ink.
Its a simple idea and it works because it is so satisfying- the weapons offer quite a bit of variety to the way you play and its just a lot of fun to make a huge mess. You can change to squid form by holding the shoulder button which lets you sink into the ink and gives you the freedom to swim at higher speed freely through your team's ink, this adds a lot of fluidity to the controls and allows for a more tactical game.
The majority of the game is online, and it is a lot of fun if this is how you want to play. There are a few extra modes online which I havent played with yet, because Im not a high enough level.
Unfortunately the online aspect is also a downfall- local multiplayer is very limited. Which genuinely surprised me as Nintendo usually prioritise local multiplayer. Its definitely not worth buying for local multiplayer, it just has one pop the balloons mode, which was pretty average.
You can connect to friends and battle with them online, but you cant even do online battles with two people on the same WiiUif you want a break from the online battles, there is a single player mode which is quite fun. They give you a stage you generally have to get from A to B or complete a relatively simple objective- the levels reminded me of the secret stages in Mario Sunshine in some ways, they are kindof an obstacle course which have you taking on various enemies with different abilities and weaknesses. It is quite fun and a change of pace, and the boss levels are quite a lot of fun too.
The game also makes quite a big thing of customising your character with the clothing and accessories you wear. They alter your stats or abilities, but I havent played around with it enough to get into that.
I recommend the game to anyone looking for a pick up and play style game for the WiiU, but only if online battles appeal. The single player missions and local multiplayer will not hold your interest, but the online is a lot of fun.

Red Steel 2 (Wii)
Red Steel 2 (Wii)
Offered by Woodlark Trading Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent game but not quite great., 14 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Red Steel 2 (Wii) (Video Game)
I finally got around to buying this when I got the Wii Motion Plus add on recently.
First impressions were good, it looks really nice and the controls are pretty well done, using the motion controls is good fun.
I was surprised how linear the game is- There really isnt much freedom, the game could have been on rails between objectives and it wouldnt have made a difference. The objectives were a bit repetetive, usually boiled down to defeating various pretty generic enemies or finding some hidden objects.
You unlock lots of new sword techniques as you progress, I probably should have learned more of them to vary my game a bit, but in the heat of battle it didnt feel like the time to be experimenting with the motion equivalent of trying to pull of a Mortal Kombat button press fatality of a technique you havent used since the training segment. But maybe I just have a bad memory- it is recorded on the pause screen if you want to refresh yourself.
Rather than coming across enemies in a natural way, they are in pre determined areas and you get locked into battle like in a JRPG, defeat the enemies and you can collect the money and move on.
I like that at least this is divided into short segments, so once youve cleared an area everything resets and you get your health back and the game saves frequently. Ordinarlily I'd prefer a more traditional find health or survival style thing, but I think I would have found the game tedious if the action had slowed down further for that.
I enjoyed the game early on, but I think that it never really gets any better. There are some fun techniques that get introduced, but the gameplay itself is not quite what I wanted somehow. I think I was expecting something more like GoldenEye with swords, maybe a bit of stealth. I cant blame the game for its genre, it just doesnt feel like a very full game to me. I suppose it is more like an arcade game.
It also feels like you spend way too much time smashing scenery for money.
Overall, I liked the game, it was enjoyable. It does what it does well. However, I never found it particularly gripping and there were no real high points for me, it is like a great idea that never got realised into a great game.

Sabre Wulf / Game
Sabre Wulf / Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable game from Rare, 14 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Sabre Wulf / Game (Video Game)
I got this game several years late, in a wave of nostalgia that had me digging out the classic N64 Rareware games.
I didnt know what to expect from it but I remember positive reviews from its release though it never struck me as a must buy.
The basic gameplay has you navigating an area from point A to B as any 2D platformer, but here you will have to use various creatures which you unlock as you progress to help you pass obstacles. For example, on one level you may discover a creature which you can use as a stepping stone to reach a higher area or block an enemy on another level. Rather than making it a tedious backtracking nightmare, it adds a bit of strategy using what you already have unlocked. Also, you can always see on a level how many creatures there are to find, so you wont be left looking endlessly.
Once youve reached the goal of the level, you grab the artefact or prize and have to navigate in a surprisingly intense chase from the Sabre Wulf back to the beginning, whether just running or using momentum and timing to try and make him fall down a pit while he's chasing you.
None of it is punishingly hard but it keeps a good level of challenge- it is all doable in short bursts too, so it is ideal for a pick up and play on the GBA.
The game manages to capture the humour of Rare's N64 games despite the limitations of the GameBoy. It's a fun and easily accessible game, it isnt all that long but it does have extra challenges if you want to play around with them. It looks as though there is a sidequest involving searching through the levels for orchids and a time challenge mode too, but I havent got back into the game since getting the credits.
I enjoyed my time with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for an original platformer. I dont have any real criticisms of it, it does everything it does well, just it never never really feels like more than that.

Your Love Is Strong
Your Love Is Strong

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Your Love Is Strong (MP3 Download)
Excellent song, I haven't tired of it yet!

Coleman Track 3 Person Tent - Blue
Coleman Track 3 Person Tent - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good tent to me!, 30 Jan. 2015
I haven't had to test it in horrible weather yet, but it seems like a decent tent.
Really easy and quick to put up even alone in the wind, and it even fit back into the bag without a fight.
No regrets here!

Nintendo Wii Classic Controller (Wii)
Nintendo Wii Classic Controller (Wii)
Offered by rockaway-records

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nintendo's usual quality design, 30 Jan. 2015
I got this instead of the Classic Controller Pro because I thought, well.. it's got the same buttons, it will be fine..
Well, it is fine for lots of games- Snes games on the Virtual console for example, you have the exact same layout as a SNES controller, Mario Kart 8 on Wii U plays well etc.
If you want to play anything that uses the ZL or ZR buttons, avoid this controller as it seems like they were added as an afterthought. Really awkward to use efficiently. It feels like no one ever tested what it would feel like to actually use them.
Its ok for N64 games on virtual console, a little different but ok. I'd recommend the GameCube controller if you're playing on Wii, or the Hori GameCube controller (The Mario/Luigi/Pikachu themed ones that plug into the Wii Remote) for either Wii or WiiU, or the Classic Controller Pro which is like this but more comfortable and improved the ZL ZR locations. GameCube controller isn't ideal for SNES games though, as your thumb rests on the wrong button it is unnatural for games like Super Mario Kart.
I have always thought Nintendo's design with controllers has been unusual but once you get your hands on the controller it makes sense- the N64 controller was ideal for Mario 64 and GoldenEye, GameCube controller was really comfortable. Unfortunately not the case with this!

Battle Royale: The Novel
Battle Royale: The Novel
by Koushun Takami

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the film, give this a try!, 30 Jan. 2015
When I saw the film of this I didn't realise there was a book or manga series, and Hunger Games didn't exist yet.. I enjoyed the movie but looking back the point of the story totally passed me by as a pretty amazing social commentary.
The book (and the mangas) really flesh out the story behind the characters and puts so much more emotion and depth into it.
The story is set in an alternative present time Japan. The government has come up with the Battle Royale Act as a reminder to the citizens who is in control. The BR Act consists of selecting random classes of teenagers each year from around the country to be put in isolation to participate in a fight to the death until there is one survivor.
It's a pretty dark premise and it is pretty horrific throughout, but the emotions, issues of trust and the character building throughout make it really compelling. It is one of those stories that I couldn't put down, and even after I'd finished I couldnt stop thinking about it. (So I read the mangas, which compliment it well- though now I forget whether certain back stories were in the novel or manga!)
The translation of the book is great, following so many Japanese character names I found a little hard to remember who was who to begin with. I can't fault that though!
If I'm entirely honest I didn't like a scene near the end, it got a bit unbelieveable and silly, but not enough to spoil what is now one of my favourite books.
It really makes you think, the parrallels with the story and the cutthroat world teenagers are thrown into when they leave school and enter into the battle for survival. I recommend it!

9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Offered by Game Dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent interactive novel, 30 Jan. 2015
I'd been interested in this for quite a long time but never got round to it because it was a bit of an unknown purchase and as an import it was always a bit pricey.
I finally took the plunge and loved almost every moment.
The game plays as an interactive novel more than a game really- the story is very clever and constantly keeps you guessing and without fail intrigues you to continue.
The story has your character wake up in a cabin in a sinking ship, after escaping your room you find there are 9 of you all in the same position. Using the numbered bracelets each of you have woken up with you can make your way in certain groups through the various numbered doors with the goal of finding the final door to freedom.
The story is a good length, with several different endings depending on your choices. It is really interesting- you cant help but question and wonder if people are suspicious and try to work out what their part in the story is.
The atmosphere in the game is really well done with really fitting music and really well translated story. You take it for granted that it wasn't written in English from the beginning.
The game is divided into the story which is the majority of the game, and escape sections, where you have to solve puzzles in the room like one of those old point and click adventures. It works well and it has a decent difficulty, makes you scratch your head but doable.
After reaching one ending, you can skip through previously read text to get quickly back to a new branch in the story. This has been improved in the iOS version and also the sequel with a story flowchart, though the iOS version lacks the escape gamplay sections entirely I hear.
My complaint with the game is basically that the escape segments can feel a bit frustrating when you just want to get back to the story. Story develops during these segments too, but you can't skip them on a second play through.
The story is great, I haven't done it justice and I dont want to spoil anything but as a fan of books like Battle Royale, Hunger Games.. this although very different appleals to me a lot. Supposedly it is similar to Agatha Christies' "And then there were none", though I haven't seen or read that, and there is definitely a vibe from the first Saw movie.
I definitely recommend you pick this game up if you are into these kinds of stories.
The sequel to this (Virtue's Last Reward) is arguably even better.. it's worth playing this through first to avoid some spoilers and also to understand some references.
Now just waiting for a third game!

Mario Kart with Wii Wheel (Wii) - Wii Remote Not Included
Mario Kart with Wii Wheel (Wii) - Wii Remote Not Included
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Mario Kart series, 11 April 2011
The Mario Kart games have always been among my most anticipated games for each Nintendo Console since the original back on the SNES. Despite certain changes to the series, when you get together for some multiplayer Mario Kart whatever the console you are going to have fun.
If you are familiar with the series then this game will be simple to get into option wise- the familiar GP, Battle, Time Trial modes are all here and do what they say.
For the lone player you will probably spend most of your time on the Grand Prix mode- pick a cup and race through the courses aiming for a trophy.
GP mode works very well- the computer is fair to race against and provides a good challenge on the higher difficulties. The items are fun to use and racing is alot of fun even on single player, and even if you're losing! The retro cups are back again, so you can revisit some of your past favourites- I was really pleased to see Banshee Boardwalk from the N64 game.
The Wii game has a really good Time Trial mode too, I'm not huge on Time Trials, but you can unlock staff ghosts to race against which is quite fun, as well as download ghosts of other people's efforts and see how your time compares to other people's on the online score board too.
The online for this game has been very well done, as well as ghosts and best times to download, the online vs races are excellent. Though I'm not very good at it is alot of fun, and much more rewarding knowing you're racing real people.
A nice touch is that you can do the online with 2 people together, unfortunately you can't do the GP on 2 player which means unlocking tracks becomes more awkward.

The gameplay is excellent- I have pretty much exclusively been using the Wii Wheel controls and I get on with it very well. There are some times when you hit a wall or something and you're thinking it should have turned, but these times are not too frequent and generally the controls are reliable. Playing with a GC controller I tried briefly and it felt a lot like Double Dash, but not quite as good because you can't customise the buttons so you have to use L for items and D pad for tricks which isn't ideal and isn't natural if you're used to the old game.
The blue shell item is back again, unfortunately! I don't know why Nintendo insist on it in its recent frustrating form but you'll get over it.
I found for me that MK Wii was the most genuine fun I've had playing Mario Kart since the SNES game. I really like the tracks on it more than the GC game.

A criticism I have is the local multiplayer- lack of local 2 player GP mode is annoying but you sort of make your own cups because you get an award ceremony after 4 races. The battle mode also seems to have been a bit messed up- by default with 2 players you would be on teams with 6 on each team, (10 CPU players) which makes it overly random and unsatisfying. You can turn off CPU which makes it almost like classic Mario Kart battles, but unlike the old games you have a time limit- usually you get 3 balloons which are like 3 lives and when you lose them you're out. Now you re spawn when you lose them all. I expect you lose points or something for losing all your balloons. Still a good mode if you turn off CPU, but I prefer the "last man standing" style, and I don't see why they couldn't include it for offline mode.
Personally, I'm not a fan of too much choice in Mario Kart games either- this time we get karts or bikes then a few different ones of each for each character. I prefer just picking a character which determines your stats, but that's just my personal feeling probably laziness! I guess it adds depth and a more personalised experience.

It's an excellent game overall, a Wii game that I know I will go back to for a quick go on for a long time to come. It's flaws are forgivable and you will have a good time on it whether you want single player, multiplayer or online.

Kororinpa (Wii)
Kororinpa (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, 1 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Kororinpa (Wii) (Video Game)
I only just got this game now, several years after it was released. I've always had my eye on it because I liked Super Monkey Ball on the GameCube, this looked like a great step forward whilst keeping the same gamplay style.
It is a really easy game to just pick up and play with no introduction, you dont even need to use the buttons so its simple for anyone to play. Just tilt the remote to roll a marble around a course to the goal, picking up the crystals along the way.
That's basically it! There are no other modes, but there are secrets that get unlocked as you go- special courses and balls with different qualities to make the game easier or harder.
If you fall off during a level, you go back to the start, but you dont have to pick up all the crystals again, you just carry on which really helps the game to be less frustrating than it could have been.
There is a 2 player mode, which is just the same again but in race form, you can't affect each other, but you can see where they are in the level.
The game is really nice to play, and has really good physics and responsive controls- you really cant blame the game when you keep falling off at the same place!
The only criticisms of the game are that there isn't enough of it! I got to the credits after 3 days I think. There is more to do, but it does feel shortlived.
More levels would have been welcome.
The graphics are unremarkable.. but the game doesn't suffer because of it, you will be far to engrossed in playing to worry too much about graphics.
It's an excellent game but it feels more like a Wii Ware title than a full game, so I'd recommend picking it up cheap if you see it. Great though it is, I'm glad I didn't spend £30-40 on it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5