Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Nile Rodgers presents : The Chic Organization Boxset Vol 1 : Savoir Faire
Nile Rodgers presents : The Chic Organization Boxset Vol 1 : Savoir Faire
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive and excellent collection., 6 Jun 2014
This is definitely one for the fans - if you are 'new' to Chic et al then you may want to stick with the 'Up All Night' 2 disc release.

As for me, this provided the perfect way to extend my collection - a number of unreleased tracks and other goodies that I didn't own yet, and genuinely excellent new remixes of many of the tracks that I already own.

There are one or two question marks over the mastering - eg at the start of 'Good Times' 12" mix there is clear needle sound, suggesting that the master was created from a vinyl copy, although it must be said that the audio quality is excellent and for me this just adds to the charm of the recording.

Anyway, all told I'm very happy with the purchase and if a follow up release were to emerge containing all the Chic/Nile/Bernard productions of the following years then I'm sure I'd buy that in a second.

The Sports Gene: Talent, Practice and the Truth About Success
The Sports Gene: Talent, Practice and the Truth About Success
Price: 5.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, and full of quotable trivia, 6 Jun 2014
If you've watched David's TED talk (as I had), then you probably have a fair idea of what this book will be about - suffice it to say, I was not disappointed, the book was very interesting and a nice insight into the many unusual ways that natural/genetic talents influence sport today.

As a fan of cycling, one must concede that performance enhancing drugs have altered the landscape of competition, and it is hard to know how far this has distorted the fields and results - although this question isn't ignored (particularly with respect to female competitors) it would be an improvement to the book if somehow it could have peered back behind that curtain, although I appreciate that this is a big task given the obvious secrecy involved!

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Price: 0.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than a lot of other MP3 listings. Classic Christmas track., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Feliz Navidad (MP3 Download)
If you're here looking for it you probably already know the song - it's one of the most successful tracks of all time (even ignoring the Christmas aspect).

Lyrical structure is almost ridiculously simple, but also catchy as anything - sticks in your head for days.

I wanna wish you a merry Christmas!

The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read for the dedicated (or not so) road cyclist!, 12 Sep 2013
An enjoyable read, although if you're familiar with the Rules from the website there isn't anything that 'new'. Would make a good coffee table book - a nice way to introduce the general public to the ways of the Velominati.

With that said, Kindle edition leaves a lot to be desired - page layout means that the text is difficult to read on anything less than a tablet, and navigation is awkward - when references are made to other rules, there aren't any links, and because the rules have been grouped rather than put in order you can find yourself wondering just what rule that number refers to... with no easy way to pop to the page in question.

So in short, unless you do most of your reading on a tablet I'd pick up the paper version instead - I may well do so now myself!

Magic Dance E.P.
Magic Dance E.P.
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I actually slightly prefer the 'Underground' EP, but this too is awesome., 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Magic Dance E.P. (MP3 Download)
The extended mix is an essential for any 80s party. If you love the soundtrack, you will also love this.

"You remind me of the babe...."

Underground E.P.
Underground E.P.
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars So, if you already own the soundtrack, you may be wondering if you need this...., 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Underground E.P. (MP3 Download)
Yes, you do need to have the awesome extended dance mix, along with the instrumental & dub. An 80s party is incomplete without it.

Fluke: Langara's Prize
Fluke: Langara's Prize
Price: 1.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid read., 28 Aug 2013
Unlikely to become a classic of the genre, but an enjoyable enough read - not the sort of thing that you'd write home about, but nonetheless a decent flight of fancy.

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Aug 2013
Having gotten into cycling relatively recently, this was the first David Walsh book that I've read and I came away underwhelmed, particularly in the context of the excellent 'Secret Race' and 'Rough Ride' which I'd read previously.

It doesn't flow particularly well, chapters often feeling a bit disjointed from what has come before - as others have said, it seems more a collection of short stories/articles rather than a proper book - it appears to have been a bit of a rush job.

I suppose it was to be expected from the title, but it's worth commenting that the book is quite narrow in it's focus and does little to explore other dopers or the climate of the sport - it's made clear that Lance is a nasty piece of work, but in the EPO era (which arrived long before he did) it does seem to me that Lance was essentially doing what he had to do to win (and he is a man quite obsessively driven to win).

Should Walsh be revelling in the exposure (and his own victory) or should he instead be taking the fight to the next place? I got the feeling from this book that the fight had become a bit too personal.

High Quality Vertical Shutter Release Battery Grip for Pentax K7 Digital Camera
High Quality Vertical Shutter Release Battery Grip for Pentax K7 Digital Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent grip - does the job so far!, 8 Mar 2013
I received a Meike branded grip, seems robust enough, decent to hold - makes a real difference when using long heavy lenses, or shooting in portrait for extended periods. Would recommend to anyone, particularly given that the official branded Pentax model is outrageously expensive.

One curiosity of the Meike grip is that the grips power switch goes the opposite way to the power lever on the camera, and is also a bit stiff - this was a bit confusing at first! I now just leave this switch on as the buttons are stiff enough on the grip that accidental operation seems unlikely.

For the benefit of those who haven't used grips before, the power switch on the grip doesn't turn on the camera, it just turns on the grip - so when off, the buttons on the grip don't function.

SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC 32 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter + Memory Zone App (SDSDQU-032G-U46A)
Offered by Sunsfair
Price: 14.30

5.0 out of 5 stars The only memory cards worth buying!, 25 Jan 2013
Sandisk have an excellent reputation for their memory cards, and this seems to be well deserved.

I bought this card to use with my DSLR and it's much faster than the Class 10 regular SD card I was using, but I can put it in my tablet or phone when I'm out on the go, and if I pick up a gopro or Samsung galaxy camera, or any other device of the growing number that use Micro SD I know that my memory cards are good to go.

Recommended.