Profile for K. Tallant > Reviews

Content by K. Tallant

K. Tallant (Nottinghamshire, UK)

Bad Cook
Bad Cook
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Recipe Rifle..., 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bad Cook (Kindle Edition)
...then you're obviously going to like this too as it is a careful selection of the best bits with some lovely new things thrown in. Whilst the recipes are certainly useful (I've book marked half a dozen or so), the book is as much about Esther's career, parenthood, marriage, family and friends (or lack of). It is written with great candour, wit and an entirely appropriate sprinkling of swear words (blogs need swearing like food needs salt) and is thoroughly enjoyable as a result. Definitely well worth the 1.99. Well done Esther!

Dermalogica Ultimate Buffing Cloth
Dermalogica Ultimate Buffing Cloth

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't use anything else, 1 Jan 2013
I've used one of these every day for years and wouldn't use anything else. It works to gently exfoliate the skin using your preferred shower gel or soap. The texture of the cloth creates a great lather and it can be machine washed if necessary. It lasts for years and, given the daily use and reduced need for a separate body scrub, is great value.

Driver Dan 13 x 40 x 25cm Story Telling Train (Muticolour)
Driver Dan 13 x 40 x 25cm Story Telling Train (Muticolour)
Offered by AKtion Toys (We charge postage PER ORDER and not per item!)
Price: 19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A real winner this Christmas, 1 Jan 2013
I put this on my 2.5 year old daughter's Christmas wish list as she loves the television programme. It was an instant hit, has been played with consistently from the huge number she could choose from! The construction is pretty robust and she has loved putting the book cartridges in to hear the stories. They stories are short and there are only 3 to choose from but toddlers seem to love repetition, even if their carers don't. The sound quality isn't great (hence the four not five stars) and it was quite loud until I put some sellotape over the speaker, now it's much more tolerable! It came with batteries and you'll need a screwdriver to open the battery compartment. A definite hit, especially if the child knows the programme.

Duronic KS1009 Super Slim Design Digital Display 5KG Electronic Kitchen Scales - with Glossy Brushed Chrome surface
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So please I bought these!, 17 Jan 2012
Having grown up with pan and weights scales I thought that it would be hard to leave behind the squinting to check the level and the familiar 'swoosh' of sugar going from the pan into the mixing bowl, but I can honestly say that these have converted me. I've got more into baking recently and decided that I probably needed something a little more accurate. These are a doddle to use, fit into a teeny space, are incredibly light and look lovely. Oh, and they work too! No more guess-work and if you're weighing ingredients into a bowl to mix then it saves on washing-up too. I got these for under 20 and avoided the Salter versions because of the poor reviews. My old scales are going on eBay this weekend. Says it all really!

Roberts Idream CRD42 DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with Dock for iPod
Roberts Idream CRD42 DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with Dock for iPod
Price: 71.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to standard, 14 Feb 2009
I bought this for my husband as a Christmas gift as the Today Programme just isn't the same with intermittent buzzing. We have a good DAB signal and the sound and build quality is certainly better than the Pure Chronos (I tested them in John Lewis). I specifically bought this product because it docks with and will charge an iPhone, not that this advertised but again, testing in John Lewis was useful. The connection is obviously not designed for an iPhone though so there is a knack to positioning it correctly. The buttons are cumbersome and the menu functions for setting the alarm unecessarily complicated and having to swtich on the sound to set it is annoying. The backlit display is a little bright. However, it is a great size for a bedside table and looks good too, the sound quality is good for a clock radion and we've used it as much for listening to the radio in the evening as as an alarm clock.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary capo, 14 Feb 2009
I bought this for my Dad for his birthday after he'd read rave reviews in the press. He's been playing the guitar for decades and said that this was an amazing bit of kit and has totally changed guitar-playing for him. It helps that it looks like something either NASA or Apple would design. Form and function perfectly fused.

Zyliss Garlic Press
Zyliss Garlic Press
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing gadget?, 14 Feb 2009
I really don't like peeling garlic. Even though pressing the clove with the side of a knife, slicing off the end and removing the peel is hardly effortful, it still leaves fingers sticky and smelly. The Zyliss press does allow you to crush cloves whole, without the messy peeling and almost all of the garlic comes out. A couple of tips though. Some small amounts of skin do come through, but not enough to cause a problem. Don't put more than one clove in at a time otherwise more skin will come through. In terms of cleaning, I find that the skins that remain in the press are easily removed with the flick of the end of a knife and as long as you press the clove firmly the skin will be against the holes rather than mushed into the crushing part. Others have commented on difficulty with cleaning. I've not put mine in the dishwasher as chucking it in the washing-up bowl with some soapy water as soon as it's finished with ensures that any remnants of garlic don't turn to rock (when they are hard to remove) and a quick swoosh round the bowl and it's clean. Sometimes a wshing-up brush is required to remove bits from the holes but you'd have to do that with a regular garlic press anyway. As the title suggests, this has really changed my life and taken the hassle out of using fresh garlic.

Screwpull by Le Creuset FC-400S Metal Foilcutter - Satin Silver
Screwpull by Le Creuset FC-400S Metal Foilcutter - Satin Silver
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets you to the wine faster!, 14 Feb 2009
This is one of the more expensive versions of Screwpull's foil cutters, but the weighty-ness of the metal makes it a more satisfying item in the kitchen drawer. The rotating cutting discs are very sharp and cut cleanly through the foil, enabling speedier access to the all important contents of the bottle. I have knocked one star off though as the blades are very sharp and it would be all too easy to cut yourself whilst rummaging for it in the kitchen drawer. I'm not certain how one could make something that cuts foil and not skin, but if the boffins can put people into space then surely this is a small ask.

Nicky Clarke NCD25 frizz control 2000W smoothing ionic hair dryer
Nicky Clarke NCD25 frizz control 2000W smoothing ionic hair dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a product that lives up to its hype!, 16 Jan 2006
Like many others I was also sceptical about 'ionic' hairdryers but the reviews sounded promising and I put it on my wish list in time for Christmas. I've noticed immediate results and am really impressed. The air isn't as hot or as fast as my old hairdryer so I thought it might take longer in the mornings (when every minute counts!) but it doesn't. The brush really helps to smooth the hair and, whilst my hair wasn't terribly frizzy before, it is noticeably shinier and softer. I think the brush plays a significant part but the hairdryer does a great job too. Well worth the money.