Profile for A. Rose > Reviews

Content by A. Rose
Top Reviewer Ranking: 408

A. Rose (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vax C85-ZH-Te Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 800 W
Vax C85-ZH-Te Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 800 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever On Hard Floors, 23 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have only ever owned upright vacuum cleaners and always thought that the short squat cylinder cleaners were cumbersome and, with not having carpet beaters at the front, lacked carpet cleaning power. I have now been proved wrong. This cleaner, although it looks squat and cumbersome, effortlessly glides along wooden floors and is no more 'draggy' on carpets than any other vacuum cleaner. Suction is good and strong, is excellent on wooden floors and also good on carpets.

This Vax comes with an assortment of tools (hard floor tool, upholstery tool, combination floor tool), two hose attachments – one which I use for all floor vacuuming, and the other is more stretchy for reaching to the top of curtains and stretching around corners and crevices of rooms where the main body of the cleaner won't go. It's also excellent for vacuuming the stairs with the hoses having such great reach.

The cylinder dust container has quite a large capacity and doesn't need emptying every time of using it. The cylinder is easy to remove for emptying – everything presses apart and clicks back into place. I didn't find it too noisy either and didn't have the high whine which leaves you half deaf for long after it's switched off. It's quite light in weight and is easy to pull around the rooms. I mostly have wood floors and it glides around like a dream. I can't comment on it's effectiveness with pet hairs as I don't have pets but I find the suction to be really good and is better on wooden floors than any upright I've used.

All in all, I am very impressed and even with a bias towards upright vacuums I would certainly consider giving this one a try. Great suction and very competitively priced.

Miracast Dongle, VicTop Wireless 2.4G HDMI 1080P WIFI Mirroring Display Dongle For iPhone / iPad / Mac Book (Mac OS+ iOS 9+ Airplay), Android Phones Tablets , Supports Windows 8.1
Offered by VicTop

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy Little Tool, 16 Jan. 2016
Even as a confirmed technophobe I was interested to try this neat, well constructed dongle which connects to a TV via an HDMI port. I found the instructions very limited and not as helpful as I would have liked. For example, I did not realise that it was necessary to connect the dongle to a USB port on the TV to provide its power source. No doubt many other people will realise this.

Once plugged in, I was able to connect my iPad to the wifi signal provided by the dongle using the password provided. Activating the Airplay facility on the iPad, I was able to mirror to the TV the contents of the iPad including the photograph gallery.

The next step was to open the internet browser on the iPad, inserting a provided website identity to enter the settings page which then enables you to play anything on the internet e.g. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player or Youtube via your iPad to your TV screen.

The dongle is compatible with IOS (iPhone/iPad), Max OS, (Apple Notebook), Samsung and Android. It is possible to connect Windows Operating System devices by installing AirParrot software which I believe you may have to purchase.

For the uses to which I have put this Dongle, I am very pleased with its performance and can fully recommend – just a shame it doesn't work for Windows in the same easy way. I have attached photos of the helpful step-by-step screen shot as it appears on the TV.

This product was sent to me in return for an honest and unbiased review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Homasy 22W Mini Portable Whisper-Quiet Air Dehumidifier with Auto Shut-off Fuction for Damp Mould, Moisture in Home, Kitchen, Bedroom, Caravan, Office, Garage
Offered by VICTECH

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Overly Effective, 13 Jan. 2016
This Homasy Mini Dehumidifier arrives quickly and well packaged and is ready to plug in and use immediately.

The ideal humidity for a home, depending on the time of year and temperature, is between 50 and 55% with 'normal' lower and upper percentages of 40 to 60%. The instruction leaflet supplied with the mini dehumidifier states that it needs to be greater than 45% humidity for it to work.

I haven't got a serious problem in my home but my utility room does get damp to the point that the paint on the walls smells like wet paint when I have a wash day of two or more loads of washing. On two consecutive days of washing and running my tumble dryer which made the room very humid, I put this mini dehumidifier in the room, plugged it in and let it do its stuff. After six hours there was less than a tablespoon of water in the container. The second day I did the same and after a further six hours there was little over a tablespoon of water in total. I was rather surprised at how little water it pulled out of the air – 12 hours = 1½ tablespoons water. I am used to using dehumidifiers and know what they are capable of. My ancient old Ebac pulls several litres of water out of a home in a day. I accept that it costs four times the price of this one but it works efficiently for the whole home.

I don't really know how this dehumidifier works as it doesn't seem to have the refrigerator, melt, pump into tank cycle that the larger ones have. My best guess is a fan blowing and cooling fins which allows water droplets in the air to naturally accumulate on the cooled fins and drip into the holding tank.

This is a very small and portable dehumidifier, and is really only suitable for a damp cupboard, wardrobe or other very small space. Some have said it could be used in the bedroom, I certainly couldn't because of the noise. It's not as noisy as a refrigerator style dehumidifier but it's too buzzy to sleep with. I wouldn't be happy to leave the device plugged in overnight either as the plug, which is also a transformer, gets quite warm.

This product was sent to me in return for an honest and unbiased review.

Honeystore Women's Pattern Cotton Knit Tights Spring / Winter Leggings Pantyhose Black Grey Cat
Offered by Honeystore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality, 10 Jan. 2016
The first thing I noticed on receiving these tights/leggings was the weight of them. I have the black cat on grey and was expecting woolly knitted tights but these are weighty, double layered leggings. The outer layer appears to be like any other pair of high denier opaque tights but the inner layer, a different colour from the outside, is of the softest velvet I have ever felt, much like some of the newborn babies super soft toys and blankets.

The waistband is firmly and well stitched, as are all the seams. The ankle has a cuff and there is also a thinner half foot of knitted tights material which is comfortable worn out and over the foot or can optionally be tucked back inside. First putting them on felt a little bit strange because of the velvet on the inside but they are really soft and comfortable against the skin. The double layer makes them warm for winter too.

THE BEST BIT – the gorgeous cat on one leg with its tail wrapped around the other leg. The head and front legs on the right leg perfectly match the body and back legs of the left leg. They certainly make heads turn and cause a few smiles. These leggings are a must for cat lovers.

I am 5' 4” a size 12 and these tights/leggings fit me perfectly and they feel to be of excellent quality. The sizing does say to fit up to 5' 7” but I think they could be a bit small for that height and also if you are a little bit shorter but have long legs. This product was sent to me in return for an honest and unbiased review.

Garnier Miracle Sleeping Cream
Garnier Miracle Sleeping Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 9 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always use a night cream but hate the old-fashioned cold cream ones. I like a cream that is light and will soak in rather than sit on the surface and smear into the pillow. This one is lovely and soft with a very light feminine fragrance. It is super smooth, almost a cross between a gel and a cream, and glides on the face so easily. The price is comparable with others of this quality range.

After using for several nights, I find my face to be soft and moisturised each morning and I dare say slightly younger looking. It is certainly my favourite night cream and I shall be sticking with this one until a new miracle comes along. Much recommended.

L'Oreal Paris True Match Blush - 5 g, Sandalwood Pink (Number 120)
L'Oreal Paris True Match Blush - 5 g, Sandalwood Pink (Number 120)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Blusher, 9 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The container is smooth rounded plastic and has two openings. The bottom contains a small brush and a mirror and the top section holds the pressed powder blusher. There is a light fragrance of sherbet and very lightly sparkles giving good highlights.

I use a peachy brown blusher on top of my foundation to give a natural look, then apply translucent powder and finally a pinkish blusher. The pink has to be just right otherwise it can be overkill whereas this very soft tender pink colour (120) gives a healthy glow of roses on the cheeks.

I like this blusher very much and the colour is perfect for my needs. The only thing I'm slightly disappointed in is the small size, my brush is massive and swamps it by comparison although it is handy for handbags and touch-ups.

The Life I Left Behind
The Life I Left Behind

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyment Depends On Your Perspective, 7 Jan. 2016
This is one of those books that the enjoyment depends on what your feelings and beliefs are. Do you believe in the afterlife? Are you open minded enough to accept that there could be an afterlife even if you don't want to accept that there might be?

Written from the point of view of three main female characters: Eve, the dead female victim narrates from beyond the grave, the second is Melody, a survivor of a similar attack six years earlier, and the final one is the Detective Inspector, Victoria, in charge of the case. Melody's friend was jailed for her attack and as his release comes up Eve is found murdered in similar circumstances. All three protagonists are strong characters and McBeth creates fantastic, realistic characters with strengths, weaknesses and situations which you imagine can be true to life.

The storyline has a complex mix of characters including Melody's controlling husband, at times a pathetic Melody, and a lovely ethereal Eve, almost pulling strings from behind the scenes. There is suspense at every chapter ending and I truly found this a book that I didn't want to put down and couldn't wait to pick up again.

Having previously read McBeth's debut novel, Precious Thing, I felt sure I was in for another good psychological ride and The Life I Left Behind didn't disappoint. Five stars from me.

Go Stationery Tulip Garden Cluster A5 Notebook - Pink
Go Stationery Tulip Garden Cluster A5 Notebook - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty In Pink, 6 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This notebook has an attractive white flowers on pink design and would suit all females from schoolgirls to adult note-takers. It is size A5 (half of A4) and has the usual spiral wire down the left hand side. The paper is fairly thin but of good quality and is lined grey on white paper. I haven't counted the pages but it's a good half inch thick. The cover is firm but bendy card with the patterned side being wipeable – handy for those coffee drip moments.

Just a few notes on the product description at the top of this page. As of today's date (6th January '16) there are one or two discrepancies on the description

Cream paper with grey lines – it's actually white paper with grey lines
Perfect bound – it is not perfect bound like a book (glued together) it has a spiral wire down one side as in the photograph
Elastic closer – there is no elastic closer
Presented with bellyband and cello bagged – not sure what a bellyband is but it is just the lined note paper, spiral bound with pink patterned card back and front.

The notebook itself is good quality with nice design back and front and is worthy of 5 stars if you ignore the incorrect description.

Garnier Miracle Skin Cream Day Pack of 1x 50 ml
Garnier Miracle Skin Cream Day Pack of 1x 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Skin Instantly, 3 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a few of the newish BB and Blur creams and this is certainly a winner for me.

The Miracle Skin Cream comes out of the tube white but on application to a warm skin it colours slightly, a little bit like a very light tinted moisturiser. This is WAY BETTER than a tinted moisturiser though and the colour is very minimal, not thick like a foundation. I have used this with my favourite anti-wrinkle eye cream and a light serum over my face. You don't need to use very much as it blends into the face better with small amounts in small circular motions.

The cream seems to instantly smooth out imperfections and reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines. It gives a healthy looking glow and the face is perfectly moisturised and feels lovely and soft. I use this in the daytime when I would normally just use a moisturiser and I feel almost made-up. It's a confidence boost for the bare-faced supermarket dashes and those dreaded moments when you haven't put make-up on and unexpectedly meet someone when you're out.

I was sceptical of the claims made in the product description but certainly for me they are all true. The price is very reasonable and affordable and can be used all year round as there is a factor 20 sunscreen included. This has very quickly become my new morning moisturising routine and makes me feel good.

eManco Leather Crystal Acrylic Flower Choker statement Necklaces for Women (Pink)
Offered by emanco-no.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic Yet Delicate, 3 Jan. 2016
This eManco necklace arrives quickly and well packaged. It's well presented in a sturdy, good quality black box which gives good protection for your own use and equally is an attractive presentation box as a gift.

The necklace itself is absolutely stunning and will definitely make heads turn. When I first opened the box I was a little bit shocked by the size of it but it is so beautifully made with individual petals and diamanté stamens that it gives off a feeling of delicacy. The black leather and gold necklace is as much a statement as the acrylic flower. It seems well made, not fragile, and has an adjustable length of chain with a lobster claw fastener. There are also two spare diamantés provided in the event that one is lost.

I have worn this with a plain black dress and it looked absolutely stunning. No other jewellery is really necessary as this becomes a focal point and it certainly turned a few heads and several friends commented on it – all in a good way.

This necklace is available in two colours – clear acrylic and black and coral/peach and black. The clear and black has dark diamantés and the coral and black has clear diamantés. Although I usually wear delicate jewellery, this glamorous necklace is very wearable and not at all brash – I love it.

This product was provided to me in return for an honest and unbiased review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20