Profile for The Happy Scribe > Reviews

Content by The Happy Scribe

The Happy Scribe "tiernon"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
HT-SB30 2.1 Channel 40W Wall Mountable All in One Sound Bar System
HT-SB30 2.1 Channel 40W Wall Mountable All in One Sound Bar System
Offered by Tribal UK
Price: 87.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely noticeable. Turn up the TV instead., 20 May 2014
Tiny featureless remote with little distinction between sound choices. Zilch bass tones and tinny higher frequencies. To be honest, this adds little to the home cinema. Only one 3.5mm input which means only one choice of tv, dvd or games input. The bluetooth works well but the system sound so sounds naff it's not worth bothering with. Even at this low budget, I'd hoped for more. Sorry Sharp guys, try harder.

Caustic Love
Caustic Love
Offered by Super CD's
Price: 9.60

5.0 out of 5 stars no words can describe the passion found in these songs, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Caustic Love (Audio CD)
Quite simply the best album of the year. So entirely different to anything he's done before, and done so well. This album will have you singing wherever you are, including the car, the shower and the office!!

Whiskey: A Global History (Edible)
Whiskey: A Global History (Edible)
by Kevin R. Kosar
Price: 8.68

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a book. It's about whiskey. It's not edible though!!, 10 April 2014
Got this for a whiskey swilling friend of mine who already has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the stuff. Even he found a few snippets of new knowledge in this.
We were both amused by the on-going product title "Whiskey: A Global History (Edible)" as it's not really edible. Not without getting a dry mouth!
Fair price, fast delivery.

2M 1080P MHL Micro USB to HDMI Cable Adapter For Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 I9500 I9300
Offered by Phetron Digital
Price: 3.27

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy and prefect insallation.........for about 24hrs, 10 April 2014
I couldn't believe how quick and easy this was to get up and running. There were no instructions included, but then again, none were required. Just plug in all the cables and it worked first time. Watched a couple of movies, dabbled with a game or two and I was happy.
Unfortunately it hasn't worked since. The phone recognises it as a charger but there is no signal going to the TV. Tried changing HDMI ports but nothing happens. It was too 'cheap' to bother with returning and I suspect the lack of packaging and instructions suggests an end of line stock.
Shame, it was a nice idea.

Patuoxun Micro USB MHL to HDMI AV TV Video Adapter Cable With USB Charger For Samsung Galaxy S2 i9220 i9100 HTC EVO 3D 4G Flyer(Not Support Contract phones)
Offered by Patox
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fast and easy to install, 1 April 2014
No additional software required, no configuration. Simply plug and go. I was amazed how easy this thing was to use from my phone. The lead is long enough to have the phone placed where I want it. Given that it's running from a small (HD) screen, the resolution onto a 42"TV is pretty good.
Fast delivery as well, though there was no cover note or dispatch notice. There wasn't any instructions, but then again, there was no need for any.

Old Time Songs For Clawhammer Banjo: 1
Old Time Songs For Clawhammer Banjo: 1
by Mr David K Marshall
Price: 8.88

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly playable and a valuable addition to any repertoir., 1 Mar 2014
One of my favourite banjo books. Revisited again and again. Good solid selection of songs. Well spaced tab with plenty of room for personal notes.

Captain Scott
Captain Scott
by Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Price: 8.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Years of personal bias, unpicked and reversed, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Captain Scott (Paperback)
Love or loath Fiennes, there can be no doubt that this intensely detailed retelling of the great British adventure is a near masterpiece. I've spent years with my mind in the Shackleton camp, in awe of his leadership and determination, whilst simultaneously bashing Scott for being so damned stiff upper lipped and nauseatingly bloody minded. This personal bias has been my loss.
Fiennes begins by placing the leadership styles into geographical, political and historical context. The context of leadership and the social requirements of the time are dissected. It doesn't make them right or wrong by todays standards, but certainly makes it utterly valid for the time. I'd never looked at it that way and this simple mind shift changed everything for me.
Of course, one of the greatest strengths of this book is that it's written by someone who has had more than a passing nod to the polar regions. Fiennes personal experience of conditions and experiments with various routes and equipment have set him up as one of the most practically experienced explorers of our time. His dogmatic approach to all his trips, evident throughout many of his books, make him a perfect foil for Scott and Shackleton alike. He understands how these men felt, has lived their desires and has experienced their frustrations and loss.
Do I retain a preference? Of course I do. Shackleton will always remain my own role model, however Scott has found a place in my heart.

Star Wars: Free game
Star Wars: Free game
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars brief fun but not what you might be looking for., 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Star Wars: Free game (App)
A few minutes fun but neither star wars or jigsaw. The darker images are very difficult as there are no edges on the pieces, leaving a selection of near identical black squares with an occational star. Loses it's appeal quickly. Only about 50% Star Wars. The rest is Star Treck, Halo and other fantasy.

Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 11.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Never thought I'd find myself so immersed, 15 Nov 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not an avid game player and can go weeks without switching the thing on, however Tomb Raider changed that over a weekend.
From the opening scenes, I knew this would be a little different, and I wasn't disappointed. The cut scenes have a real epic movie quality throughout, leading the story from scene to scene. The environments are outstanding, exquisitely detailed and realistic. It almost seems a shame to run through them during a battle (fortunately you can revisit them later on completion of the game and just have a leisurely wander about).
I found the pace of the game perfect for my level of playing. You learn new things as you go along and build up a repertoire of skills. It's surprising (to a non-gamer) how versatile old hands can be when faced with a marauding horde of islanders and limited ammunition!
I liked the `origins' approach to this reboot and found it did a superb job of explaining why Miss Croft became who she is.
I'm going to go back and play it through again in order to find some more hidden tombs and artefacts. Might need to encourage the wife to go visit her sister again and give me a weekend to myself!

Acer Aspire X3 Desktop PC (AMD A6 3620, 6Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars A new lease of life, 5 April 2013
There are so many PC's out there that it's difficult to compare. However, having spent a couple of weeks with this box, I can't believe I didn't bin my old desktop before now. Loaded with Windows 8 (a baffling OS to begin with), it goes from 'off' to logged in and ready within a minute.
It runs fairly quietly, doesn't clunk through CD's, the 'egg timer' is rarely seen. There are more than enough USB ports on the back with a few more on the front, alongside a card reader and additional sound sockets.
Wireless connectivity has been flawless and the little antenna on the back are fairly discrete.
All in all, a nice little all-rounder for a home office and occasional game player.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5