Profile for verandah > Reviews

verandah "verandah" (London)

Tsunami 2004
Tsunami 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving account, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tsunami 2004 (Kindle Edition)
Tracey lee has written a very moving account of experiencing first hand the dreadful devastation of the 2004 tsunami. It tells, like nothing else I have read, the horror of this monumental event and as well as the tragedy, shows the personal bravery of individuals coping with an overwhelming disaster. Highly recommended.

I, Robot
I, Robot
by Isaac Asimov

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement book, 17 April 2012
This review is from: I, Robot (Paperback)
My old copy of this book had disintegrated over the years so instead of trying to read a bundle of loose pages I decided to replace it. The book arrived very quickly and thought I don't much like the cover (from the Will Smith movie), I love this book - one of the ones I will re-read every so often.

Tied Up in Tinsel (The Alleyn Mysteries)
Tied Up in Tinsel (The Alleyn Mysteries)
by Ngaio Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement book, 17 April 2012
My old copy of this book had disintegrated over the years and was a bundle of loose pages, so i wanted a replacement. This arrived very quickly , so thanks.

Samsung M3 Station 3.0 HX-D201TAE - Hard drive - 2 TB - external - 3.5" - SuperSpeed USB - Beige

5.0 out of 5 stars 2TB hard drive, 17 April 2012
The hard drive Arrived very quickly and I'm very pleased with the item. I plugged it in my Mac and it backed up the Time Machine straight away.

Aphrodite's War
Aphrodite's War
by Andrea Busfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling book, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Aphrodite's War (Paperback)
An emotional and compelling book set against the background of the Greek/Turkish Cypriot conflict. The author skilfully weaves the difficult and complex political aspect with a sometimes heartbreaking love story. Highly recommended.

The Family Jewels
The Family Jewels

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album,, 27 May 2010
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
I bought this CD based on hearing one song and I'm really pleased I did. A very distinctive voice - lovely album.

The Master And Margarita (Penguin Classics)
The Master And Margarita (Penguin Classics)
by Mikhail Afanas'evich Bulgakov

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book but choose your translation carefully, 14 Nov. 2009
I posted this review on the US Amazon site, but thought I would reproduce it here, hopefully it will be useful.

.............................

I read the Michael Glenny version in the late sixties, and have loved it deeply ever since. Having lent my copy to a friend I bought a new one some years ago - and I thought I would try the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky version.

This couple evidently know the nuances of Russian culture but they simply can't write idiomatic English and their translation therefore loses the spontaneity and fun of the Glenny version.

Compare these early paragraphs: by Pevear and Volokhonsky

'What the devil does he want?' thought Homeless, frowning.
'And you were agreeing with your interlocutor?' inquired the stranger, turning to Homeless on his right.
'A hundred per cent!' confirmed the man, who was fond of whimsical and figurative
expressions.
'Amazing!' exclaimed the uninvited interlocutor and, casting a thievish glance around and
muffling his low voice for some reason, he said:
'Forgive my importunity, but, as I understand, along with everything else, you also do not
believe in God?' he made frightened eyes and added: 'I swear I won't tell anyone!'
'No, we don't believe in God,' Berlioz replied, smiling slightly at the foreign tourist's fright, but we can speak of it quite freely.'
The foreigner sat back on the bench and asked, even with a slight shriek of curiosity:
'You are - atheists?!'
Yes, we're atheists,' Berlioz smilingly replied, and Homeless thought, getting angry: 'Latched on to us, the foreign goose"

With these by Michael Glenny:

'Ah, how interesting!' exclaimed the foreigner.
'What the hell does he want?' thought Bezdomny and frowned.
'And do you agree with your friend?' enquired the unknown man, turning to Bezdomny on his right.
'A hundred per cent!' affirmed the poet, who loved to use pretentious numerical expressions.
'Astounding!' cried their unbidden companion. Glancing furtively round and lowering his voice he said : 'Forgive me for being so rude, but am I right in thinking that you do not believe in God either?' He gave a horrified look and said: 'I swear not to tell anyone!'
'Yes, neither of us believes in God,' answered Berlioz with a faint smile at this foreign tourist's apprehension. ' But we can talk about it with absolute freedom.'
The foreigner leaned against the backrest of the bench and asked, in a voice positively squeaking with curiosity :
'Are you . . . atheists? '
'Yes, we're atheists,' replied Berlioz, smiling, and Bezdomny thought angrily : ' Trying to pick an argument, damn foreigner! '

Which version do you think would be more enjoyable to read....?

I'm now looking for the Burgin/Tiernan O'Connor version so that I can read that to compare.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 7:56 AM BST

Born Under a Million Shadows
Born Under a Million Shadows
by Andrea Busfield

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling, well written book, 28 May 2009
I loved this book, speaking with the authentic voice of a young Kabul boy with humour, insight and compassion, it tells of the love story of a Western woman and an Afghan warlord, and it tells of the love of the Afghan boy for his country and his friends.
I now feel I have a much clearer insight into life in Kabul, and Afghanistan, and the problems besetting its people.
Wonderful book, eminently readable.

Live In London
Live In London
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best live performance I have ever seen, 19 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Live In London (Audio CD)
Leonard Cohen put on a performance that totally belied his 73 years. His voice was powerful, musical and deep - so so deep; he was witty, funny, charming, sexy;
His performance didn't flag over the three hours; it was truly the most amazing experience. I can't wait to get the CD of this concert - any fan, whether they saw Leonard Cohen during his tour or not, will absolutely love it.