Profile for Roman Holliday > Reviews

Content by Roman Holliday

Roman Holliday "jevb" (San Francisco, CA United States)

Talking Heads - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Talking Heads - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Routledge

5.0 out of 5 stars subtle, sensitive, superb, 9 Jan. 2010
I had seen some of the first series of Alan Bennett's "Talking Heads" when they were broadcast in the late 1980s on public television here in the States. They made quite an impression on me, particularly Maggie Smith in "A Bed among the Lentils," and I had always wanted to see them again. I had never seen the second series. Seven of the twelve were produced in New York a few years ago and I was fortunate enough to see them performed by the likes of Christine Ebersole, Frances Sternhagen, and Lynn Redgrave. When I discovered that they were available on DVD in Britain but that I would not be able to play them on my US equipment, I ordered an inexpensive international DVD player just in order to be able to watch them. The "Talking Heads," along with the poignant "Telling Tales," which I had just read, definitely stand the test of time. They are powerful, poignant, and amusing-- Bennett's unique blend of comedy and drama representing epitome of sophisticated entertainment. I don't buy many DVDs but the combination of astute writing and masterful performances in these collected short pieces invites multiple viewings. My only quibble is the sparse packaging: I wish there more notes. I also purchased "Alan Bennett at the BBC" and look forward to viewing and reviewing the various films. I fail to understand why the brilliant Mr. Bennett isn't better known in this country. Long may he live.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2014 6:17 AM BST