Profile for A. A. Persaud > Reviews

Content by A. A. Persaud

A. A. Persaud "Dellibelly" (UK)

Funnybones
Funnybones
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oldie but a Goodie!, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Funnybones (Paperback)
This book has been a favourite of mine for years and it's worth getting. People of all ages love this book and it's great for those learning to read.

Wooden 2-Way Curved Tracks; wooden railway compatible
Wooden 2-Way Curved Tracks; wooden railway compatible
Offered by Toy and Gift

5.0 out of 5 stars A new dimension to my son's train tracks!, 17 Mar 2014
These are sturdy track parts and allow a different type of bend in the track being built. They are particularly good if you have a battery-powered engine for the track - keeps the little ones guessing which way it will go. Will be buying more in the future

Epson Stylus Sx235W All-In-One Printer with High Speed Wifi (Print, Copy and Scan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, worth the money and good quality prints, 18 Feb 2012
This printer is so good. I have tried out all its functions and I've had no problems. I was worried about Windows 7 wi fi set up based on other people's reviews but I just inserted the disc into my laptop and the printer pretty much installed itself. I did order and use the Epson specific cable (98p or something like that) just to combat any potential set up problems.

Let downs - the printer can be a bit noisy and slow for office docs.

Word etc docs - good print quality, sharp text

photos - very good quality - have only done A5 prints so far and am very happy with the results

Scan - good image captured

It is quite compact. For £40 this printer is worth it. It's quite hard to tell if it really does eat up the ink like other people have claimed as I'm still on the first cartridges that came with the printer. These are expected to run out quicker because of the ink used during set up to clean print heads.

Jolly Songs (Jolly Phonics)
Jolly Songs (Jolly Phonics)
by Laurie Fyke

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and a good start for learners, 18 Feb 2012
A good cd for introducing children to the sounds of the English language. I have flicked through the book myself but only played the cd for my son as I want him to hear sounds first. After 5 or 6 listens he'd already started making more sounds and being more vocal. I'm not sure how much is due to the cd itself but it's all progress. I put the cd on while he's playing with his toys and he actively listens and passively takes it all in, from what I observe.

I also like the fact that children sing these short songs and that they're not done by some patronising adult trying to convince you English is fun before you've even had a chance to experience it. I think they do it in a way that promotes movement which helps with coordination and balance.

With phonics I find it easier to remember to point things out around the house to my son so he can associate saying the words for objects with the sounds he's hearing so I'd definitely recommend this cd and book set. At the end of the 'songs' there are some recordings of the sounds by themselves which I tend to skip as I'd prefer my son to continue enjoying the music. These are important though and helpful also.

It would be great if the songs were longer - either repeated or more short verses added. However you can always use the repeat function on media player.

If anyone is looking for a way to introduce the sounds of English to their children to help them with pronunciation and differentiation of sounds then get this cd - it is such good value for money. It is also a good way to introduce them to reading and writing (the whole point of phonics anyway). At the moment my son just enjoys listening to the songs.

Babyboomboom CD Spanish
Babyboomboom CD Spanish
by Babyboomboom
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable if you're not too picky, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Babyboomboom CD Spanish (Audio CD)
I like the idea of having Spanish and English alongside each other but it would have been better to have the whole song in one language and then in the other. Luckily I was prepared for this from reading other people's reviews.

The translations are quite literal in order to ensure continuity with rhyme and so if you're not too picky about having correct translations then you can overlook that and actually enjoy the music. It would maybe have been better to choose different songs that were easier to pronounce along to fast music. As with Spanish some of the words and sentences are longer than in the English and so they can be quite a mouthful beginners - it would help to have someone there to help you practice pronunciation and just getting your tongue used to forming the letter sounds. The danger of not having someone there guiding you is that you may decide it's too hard and not try saying the words altogether because the music goes quite fast. However, if children listen to these songs from an early age then they'll probably have no problems with pronunciation.

It's a shame there are only 20 of these songs.

The Nursery Rhyme Collections (33 Musicians Create a Nursery Rhymes Masterpiece)

2.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for traditional-sounding nursery rhymes this album is NOT worth it, 17 Feb 2012
After being encouraged by the positive reviews I read before ordering this album, I was very disappointed when I listened to this excuse for music. I got the impression the songs were an attempt to be 'easy listening' or 'soft jazz' but nursery rhymes are already easy to listen to and based on rhythms. There just isn't any point trying to 'soften' nursery rhymes further. Even the attempts to add fun or an upbeat tempo to some songs haven't worked. The way most of these songs have been done sucks the fun out of learning nursery rhymes and singing along to music. Very few of the songs are actually suitable for bedtime and my 10 month old does not enjoy them at any time of the day bar about 5 songs. You get the feeling the songs have been done in this way to be more acceptable to those who have not been taught nursery rhymes. The 'real sounds' are just children's voices at the beginning of some songs.

One of the worst things is the rock and roll element on some songs (i.e. georgie peorgie, my bonnie lies over the ocean, what shall we do with a grumpy sailor (should be drunken sailor). This last song is 'jazzed up' in a really annoying way - between the chorus and verses they actually say 'shabba, shabba' and shout something else which you can't make out properly. It just makes the songs difficult to listen to.

Some songs have bits added at the beginning that have no place there such as 'row row row your boat'. I don't get why at the beginning they sing the words 'Don't know how to do that' a few times before starting the song. The song itself is ok. The jazz part of some songs makes it quite unbearable such as 'incy wincy spider'. There are a few 'yeahs' and laughs at the start of this song as if it's proper jazz music but to me they don't have a place in a nursery rhyme. I was unimpressed that the alphabet song just sounded so whiny and that 'zed' was pronounced 'zee'.

I regret going anywhere near these songs.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 4:52 PM BST

Your Pregnancy Week by Week
Your Pregnancy Week by Week
by Lesley Regan

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but creates high expectations of antenatal care, 12 Oct 2010
I enjoyed reading this book particularly as I planned my pregnancy and I'm the kind of person who likes to know what's going on with my body and what to expect.
The images and explanations of each stage of pregnancy are really helpful as are the eating guidelines. I was very impressed with the information given on potential problems with pregnancies and birth and also what to expect for the few months after the birth.

My main complaint is that it is too optimistic of the expectations of antenatal care from the NHS. (My own experiences from 2 appointments with my midwife are that I never want to see her again and I will find another midwife) but this book made me think that all midwives were friendly and welcoming and obviously happy for you. It made me think they'd actually engage with you from the very beginning instead of putting so much emphasis on writing in my notes and not communicating anything to me. Obviously NHS care differs from one borough to another but a lack of resources shouldn't affect how a midwife treats you.

It is definitely a good place to start if you are planning for a baby or are pregnant and need advice because it will tell you loads of things you need to know that you won't find in the stupid NHS handbook they give you.

10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat  [DVD]
10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy at all, 14 April 2010
The 5* reviews made me buy this DVD but I'm really disappointed. The instructor goes too fast and prefers to concentrate on demonstrating exercises for the stronger person and so beginners really miss out. If you are a beginner then try pilates instead to understand what you're supposed to be doing for each technique, otherwise you'll be wasting your money on this DVD. I suppose it's good for people who are already used to fast-paced workouts and these types of techniques.

10 Minute Solution - Target Toning [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Target Toning [DVD]
Dvd ~ 10 Minute Solution

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, 14 April 2010
Although a good selection of workouts it's not for beginners. It assumes you already know how to do certain things (like clench your abs properly) and it just goes too fast for me - a beginner trying to do something fun to get in shape. If you already have the technique then go for it, otherwise try pilates first to help you locate the right areas for faster workouts.