Profile for B. R. Goodman > Reviews

Content by B. R. Goodman

B. R. Goodman "Dodger" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Danger: Diabolik / For a Few Dollars More
Danger: Diabolik / For a Few Dollars More

3.0 out of 5 stars these cover versions do their best to recreate the original sounds, 7 Nov. 2014
It was 47 years ago I first heard this soundtrack. 7th November, 1967. When FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE was released in the UK.
The score has been released three times in different formats. 8 tracks on CD, 22 tracks incomplete with sound effects, and finally the FULL SCORE complete. But this is not the original soundtrack recordings. To be fair, these cover versions do their best to recreate the original sounds, but can never compare with Ennio Morricone's recordings first heard when watching the film. Such a pity that after nearly half a century, this revolutionary Western music still hasn't been released complete, in the right order, and utilising the original direct soundtracks. Still... half close your eyes, put on this new recording, and pretend you are listening to a "live" version of FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE conducted by the maestro himself...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 3:24 AM GMT

Steven Spielberg and Duel: The Making of a Film Career
Steven Spielberg and Duel: The Making of a Film Career
by Steven Awalt

5.0 out of 5 stars Very imformative survey of early Spielberg., 28 May 2014
Everything you could possibly want to know about the making of DUEL is in this book. Also a must for Richard Matheson fans who wrote it.

Italian Westerns:The Essential Films
Italian Westerns:The Essential Films
by Stephen Hoover

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good survey of the Italian Western., 28 May 2014
Badly written, consistent typos, and too many errors. PETER Fonda in ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? Don't think so.
This is supposed to be an ESSENTIAL guide to the genre, but there are only 6 lines dedicated to THE BIG GUNDOWN, plus no mention at all of worthwhile films like DJANGO KILL, FACE TO FACE, and TODAY IT'S ME - TOMORROW YOU. Avoid.

Lucky Luke Vol. 45 : Tying the Knot (Lucky Luke Adventures)
Lucky Luke Vol. 45 : Tying the Knot (Lucky Luke Adventures)
by Laurent Gerra

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Luke lives on!, 28 May 2014
Although Morris has passed on, this book keeps to the spirit of the books. I think he would not be displeased,

The Secret Service - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Secret Service - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Unwin

5.0 out of 5 stars This should pleasey most, 23 Aug. 2012
Do not fawkus for too longload! Cast your eyedroves on this pleasurable DVD disky most, and enjoy deep joy and a funload of visual feasty this little seen extravagandus of Gerry's last puppetry efforts. Not too expensy, and good values for your moneygrove, it comes highly recommendus and will titty you most for yearful longevities!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 2:31 AM BST

Kelly's Heroes [Blu-ray] [1970] [Region Free]
Kelly's Heroes [Blu-ray] [1970] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hit me with those negative waves!, 27 July 2010
If you like serious war films, you might not like KELLY'S HEROES. Some people have remarked how the hell can you have a hippy tank commander in World War 2? Well this is a light-hearted war film that isn't so concerned with such anachronistic details.Clint Eastwood is Kelly, who finds out about a stash of gold bars in a bank behind enemy lines and decides to lead some basically misfit soldiers to perform the "perfect crime" and steal it. Telly Savalas is the reluctant bullish sergeant, Don Rickles the moaning "hustler", and Donald Sutherland is the hippy, aptly named "Oddball". He's so cool as he drives his tanks into battle playing loud music, eating cheese, drinking wine and sunbathing while others work, then trying out his dog impersonations. This film is basically a WW2 remake of THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, with Clint Eastwood as a reluctant soldier in a war, trying to get to a fortune in gold. Just in case you missed the connection, there's that Sergio Leone moment where Clint, Telly and Donald face off against a German Tiger tank, complete with all the famous angles and a pastiche of Morricone's music.
Transfer on Blu-ray is very good with a shrp bright picture. The film is 40 years old, but I think it was shot in 70mm, so they've used the best inter-positive print. The sound excells too, the many explosions really rattling around the room. So don't make with the negative waves, man. Just dig what a beautiful film this is and buy it, Baby!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2015 2:46 PM BST

Bonnie And Clyde [Blu-ray] [1967] [Region Free]
Bonnie And Clyde [Blu-ray] [1967] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Warren Beatty

5.0 out of 5 stars WE ROB BANKS!, 9 Mar. 2010
THE FILM: You can't deny BONNIE AND CLYDE was influential for its time, blending humour and realistic violence perfectly. Because of the 1930's setting, I can't see the film dating too much, even after 43 years.
PERSONAL: I saw BONNIE AND CLYDE when it first came out in 1967. I was just old enough to see "X" rated films (16). The film was a sensation then, and having watched tame violence for years, I walked out of the cinema stunned after the explosive finale. It can't possibly have the same impact today, but hopefully new viewers will still be impressed by some of the film's qualities.
BLU-RAY: I've watched this film improve in picture quality over the years, from video, to laserdisc, to DVD, to HD. Obviously the Blu-ray is an improvement over the SD version, details as always sharper with vibrant colours. Sound is now mono through each speaker rather than just the centre one, very clean, but it would have been nice to have a 5:1 mix for the HD version. Good documentaries and interesting to see most of the main cast interviewed who are still with us after 4 decades. Where was Gene Wilder though?

The Universe Complete Season One [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Universe Complete Season One [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a BIG place, 16 Nov. 2009
No matter how many documentaries I watch about space, there's always some facts that I didn't know or had forgotten, and the poor coverage of astronomy on terrestrial TV prompted me to buy this series of THE UNIVERSE. It looks stunning on Blu-ray with a nice blend of actual photos and computer graphics. Some viewers may be put off by this American production. If you are used to a quiet laid-back BBC "Horizon" type of documentary, you might find the slap, bang, flash presentation of this DVD annoying. I was a little irritated by this at first as well as the noisy soundtrack, but as I watched more episodes I found that I had got used to it and concentrated more on the facts presented. The fascinating subject matter and the beautiful images of our Universe is the most important factor here, and I shall be buying series 2 and 3 when available.

Beatles For Sale
Beatles For Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatles STILL For Sale, 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Beatles For Sale (Audio CD)
So much has been written about the Beatles' music, that I'm going to review this CD on a personal level. I'm time travelling back to 1964 when I was 13. It was Christmas time and I had just seen my first view of a girl in a mini-skirt and white boots as I trudged through the miserable weather in Clacton-on-Sea to buy the latest Beatles single, "I Feel Fine". In the shops I saw the new Beatles LP, "Beatles For Sale" but being a schoolboy they weren't for sale to me as I couldn't afford it. After several not too subtle hints about what I would like for Christmas, I remember the joy of receiving the disc at last. All over the festive season that LP was played so many times that it drove other people mad. In later years I was disappointed that the CD release was in mono only as I was so used to hearing the album in that format. At last, after 45 years (ulp), I can hear this great music again, remastered in stereo for the first time. Not only are the songs so good and still sound fresh, but it takes me back to that dismal out-of-season seaside town where the Beatles helped to make Xmas 1964 so memorable. Hard to pick favourite tracks, but as a Paul McCartney track I'd go for "I'll Follow The Sun", and John Lennon would definitely be I'm A Loser". Some things in life should be preserved and shall never die.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 10:16 AM GMT

10,000 Ways to Die: A Director's Take on the Spaghetti Western
10,000 Ways to Die: A Director's Take on the Spaghetti Western
by Alex Cox

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good, Bad, and Ugly book?, 22 July 2009
I have been a fan of Italian Westerns for many years, so I relish any new book that comes out on the market. This one I had mixed feelings about.I was enthusiastic to read about the films, but I kept tutting in annoyance. On the plus side, there's some fine observations about the top directors and films, and at last someone praises the Mexi-Western TEPEPA featuring Orson Welles.However,there are a lot of put-downs and a few errors. The author asks why Clint Eastwood didn't keep the gold at the end of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS? Because he wasn't a thief and didn't want the Mexican Government on his tail. As he said to one of the Rojos: "I don't like to take money unless I've earned it". I wouldn't say that A PROFESSIONAL GUN and DAY OF ANGER were the best ever Spaghettis, but to call them "plodding" is a bit harsh.For years the english-speaking version of THE BIG GUNDOWN has been mutilated, but Cox thinks we can still do WITHOUT the scenes that were cut. An Italian Western fan APPROVING of a key genre film being cut by 20 minutes is a bit hard to swallow! And it isn't Edda Dell'Orso "screeching" on the score, but Christy. Cox thinks he ought to defend a terrible Western called RITA IN THE WEST that has song and dance numbers and bullets colliding in the air,but he dismisses the TRINITY films and refers to a serious (and brilliant) film like FACE TO FACE as "silly" in places.Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but isn't the author's perspective a little peculiar here? Eastwood fans will be disappointed as he is referred to as "lucky" and "uninspired". Fans of the those wonderful scores will be starved of criticism as Mr.Cox admits he is "tone deaf". And those who like film stills will have seen them all before in the slim 8 pages in the middle. All in all, i think I'll stick with authors Howard Hughes and Christopher Frayling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2009 9:35 PM GMT