Profile for S. Pegden > Reviews

Content by S. Pegden

S. Pegden "pixie_0" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
STM Skinny Fitted Case with Adjustable Stand and Wake/Sleep Cover for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 (dp-2192-01), Black
Offered by eoutlet-uk
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does The Trick, 5 Aug 2012
Great little cover. Not the common pvc or leather covers that are doing the rounds, it's more of a rough canvas kind of feel to it. The back is hard plastic with the fabric on the back. The hard plastic protects the sides and corners of the iPad and has holes for the speaker, connector and camera etc. Inside is a soft microfiber velour type material.

The cover is held shut with a strap that slides into a slit on the back. This is great as it means it doesn't accidentally open in your bag. It also has the magnets that put your ipad to sleep when you close the cover flap.

There are 2.5 viewing angles, one for typing and one for upright movie watching. The .5 is for viewing in Portrait mode but it's not really intended for that. The cover stays in these viewing angles at all times without deviation because it is secured with the same strap-in-slit style that keeps the cover shut, so its pretty sturdy.

It's great quality, and has character and keeps your iPad in the lovely slimline format you love.

Very happy with mine!

Monster NCredibles In-Ear Headphones
Monster NCredibles In-Ear Headphones
Offered by thebookcommunity_fba
Price: 53.77

1.0 out of 5 stars No. Just don't. I'm not even kidding, 4 Aug 2012
I've been on the hunt for new earphones, It's difficult because you can't really test in-ear phones much in stores (hygiene obviously)

I got so tired of the tiresome looking around for the perfect pair, that I was in a store the other day, saw these in their lovely box, quickly did a quick search on my iPhone to find reviews, but couldn't - I broke all my own rules and spontaneously whipped out my credit card and bought them.

I opened the box, and was pretty impressed by how they look. They have a great flat cable so no more tangles, they seemed sturdy and came with a few different sized rubber tips. They also have this ingenious thing where the two earphones have magnetic backs meaning you can clip them together at the back of your neck when you aren't using them, and essentially wear them as a makeshift necklace.
That's where the novelty ended.
Here are the reasons I really feel very strongly that no one should be fooled into buying these.

1. The sound has hardly any bass. - I'm no crazy bass freak but no base means the voices and people's "S"'s cut through your eardrum like a knife. After 15 minutes of testing various music types, my ears were tired, and almost hurt.

2. Vocals have too much clarity. Yes that is possible. Clarity is great if you have bass to round off the sound.

3. The buds are not the most comfortable I've had, and certainly not for this price.

4. The mic works fine, but the button looks like its about to break at any minute, and there is no volume control on it.

5. there is a cheesy N shiny metal looking shield where the two cords meet in the middle. Like some Pixar superhero badge on the chest.

6. Seriously, the bass is really really lacking.

7. They ride on the Monster name.

I haven't done any reviews in a long long time, but i feel so strongly about this that i had to share it here. Stores don't generally allow you to return opened ear-buds, I took these back and refused to leave the store until they gave me a credit note. Again, normally i don't have the patience to go through that, but these were a serious let down.

Junk Food Women's Ladies Night T-Shirt Licorice DC091-1251 Medium
Junk Food Women's Ladies Night T-Shirt Licorice DC091-1251 Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to tell you not to buy it, 30 Aug 2011
Because I don't want many other people buying it and wearing it when i do.
But on an honest note, this shirt rocks!

L.A. Noire (PS3)
L.A. Noire (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 17.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a build up to a choose your own adventure, 30 Aug 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: L.A. Noire (PS3) (Video Game)
My expectations of this game were through the roof - i mean, real actors, film noir cinematography, delectable graphics and an awesome 1940s post World War II setting.

The graphics and filmography are most certainly incredible.
That's about it for me.

The game was not challenging, I had very little choice over the plot, and although in many games that is okay, in this one it was basically watching a movie with a few inserted scenes you could pretend to play.

I know people who loved it - to be fair these were not people who play the likes of Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty but more people who don't really delve into PS3 much at all.

I'm a film noir obsessive - and while the graphics pleased me on many levels, i am actually even reluctant to give this 3 stars, but their effort does deserve to be acknowledged.
I think a previous reviewer said "wasted Potential" - i couldn't possibly put it better myself.

Sainthood
Sainthood
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know it and you will never want it off, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Sainthood (Audio CD)
Now I hate to confess to being a massive fan of anything or anyone but I guess I would have to confess to having all the albums and seeing them live 3 times.

However when I first heard this album I was a little skeptical, It kills me to say I didn't like it. I didn't even add it to my iPod in a hurry. But you know what, I owed it to them to actually commit some time to it. Plan - added it to my gym playlist and gave it a whirl when out and about.

I did that. The songs started seeping their way into my internal jukebox, until eventually I was playing it twice in a row right after each other.

It is a masterpiece. It has a good beat throughout the whole album, the melodies flow in a cascading manner and their voices full of conviction and the lyrics are genius.

It's a good thing when a band doesn't just stick to what they know works, but actually takes an evolutionary step that is brave enough for them to say - this is what we want to do!

You go girls!

Hallmarks of Felinity: A 9 Chickweed Lane Book
Hallmarks of Felinity: A 9 Chickweed Lane Book
by Brooke McEldowney

5.0 out of 5 stars That being said..., 23 July 2008
...It may only be a 10 minute read, but this little collectors item work of art, is a read you will read over and over and over again for months...even years. The genius of his pure understanding of the feline species is phenomenal and no matter how many times i look at these illustrations, i laugh and feel all fuzzy inside for every single one!
absolutely fab!

Flash MX: Advanced Actionscript
Flash MX: Advanced Actionscript
by James L. Mohler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, if only, 3 July 2008
The cdrom hadnt arrived broken BOTH times i bought this book (from the marketplace, not from amazon itself)
Please please please if someone has the cd-rom for this book that i can buy off you i will! Or if you can make me a copy - which is legal because it is considered as a backup as i have the original (actually if you want to be specific...i have TWO originals) i can even show you the photos :( please help!!

Sony DSCH3B Digital Camera (8.1MP, 10x Optical zoom) 2.5" LCD
Sony DSCH3B Digital Camera (8.1MP, 10x Optical zoom) 2.5" LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars There is something in a name, 13 Jun 2008
How I wish i could take the plunge and buy some no-name brand electronic and be blown away, but truth be told, after months and months of research, it always comes down to the best known brands. And for good reason. This camera was the right choice. I didn't want the bulk of an SLR but the flat square "fit in your pocket" point-and-shoot is just far too simplified for my grand photography attempts :)
So my final decision came between this one, the Panasonic Lumix FZ-18 or the Lumix TZ3. FZ18 was just that little bit tooooo big for convenience, and the Lumix TZ3 flash was a little too bright.
The picture quality of the Sony H3 is grand! The zoom on screen seems a little underachieving, but when you download the pics to your pc, the zoom truly is excellent!! The flash can be set from -2 to +2 so you indoor portraits are not overexposed as with alot of compact cameras. There are various scene settings like snow, beach (which works great on the beach...funnily enough) landscape, fireworks etc. Then you have fully automatic...which is fully automatic (duh) and then you have M and P modes. which allow you more control, exposure settings, apeture priority, etc.
My pictures are great, i will upload some soon so you can see!

Every review should have a negative point, no matter how trivial, so here are mine.
You cannot set the white balance by metering. There are presets, but you cannot meter it yourself. Not tragic but i do feel its a little bit of a let down.

If i had the choice to choose another camera in retrospect, would i? most definitely not!
Sony is fast becoming my favourite brand, almost against my will ;-)

The Midas Touch
The Midas Touch
by Frankie J. Jones
Price: 7.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I loved it!, 4 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Midas Touch (Paperback)
I have to confess that I am a Frankie Fan, and i was not disappointed at all. I feel this book was such a smooth read that before you blink, its over, and believe me, that is a pity.
I agree that perhaps the book is a little different to her usual style, but its a positive different. And good on her for changing things a bit, yet keeping the classic FJJ enthrawling story line.
A really good read.

To the Edge
To the Edge
by Cameron Abbott

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 2 Feb 2004
This review is from: To the Edge (Paperback)
There's not much more that I can say other than what the two above have said. This is by far the best book I have read so far.
Deliciously written, captivating and incredibly personal. What happens to these people, happens to you, in your heart mind and conscience.
I absolutely adored every letter,syllable and fullstop of this book.

Page: 1 | 2