Profile for Alastair > Reviews

Alastair

Dead Dwarves Don't Dance
Dead Dwarves Don't Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 19 Oct. 2014
It's a really engaging read. I like the setting. Novel.Well thought out. Cool and fun! The writing is skilled, particularly the pacing. Thanks Mr Canyon! :)

The Forever War (Forever War Series Book 1)
The Forever War (Forever War Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Deservedly in the SF masterlist, 13 Jun. 2013
The best Vietnam war book I've laid eyes on!

This is a classic piece of literature. Anyone interested in Sci FI commenting on 'real world' issues should read it. Thoughtful, interesting and thought provoking. Still as relevant now as when it was written in...

The dates are a little jarring now though... interstellar FTL (kind of, anyway) travel in 1997!

The Bloodline Feud: This Merchant Princes omnibus includes The Family Trade and The Hidden Family

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 13 Jun. 2013
I came at this from being a fan of the Laundry files. Wish I'd found it sooner!

It's awesome. Love the way that Miriam, the principle character, looks at the world. Also her reaction to the strange and new is a lot more 'realistic' than many books I've read. I could rant on for quite a while, but it would be riddled with spoilers.

This book is engrossing and I really can't put it down. Go read it!

Thanks Mr Stross!

Cold Days (The Dresden Files series Book 14)
Cold Days (The Dresden Files series Book 14)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 13 Jun. 2013
I was really impressed with this book. It felt like a return to form after Ghost Stories, which I was not so keen on.

It's felt like it has been a great exercise in changing the characters around a little, due to the timeline they have changed or developed in very interesting ways.

Like most of Jim Butchers work, it was compulsive page turning and left me thinking about it after I'd finished it. Great stuff! Thanks Mr Author!

Eagerly awaiting Skin Game!

P.S. Go read Codex Alera if you've enjoyed the Dresden stuff, that's all about the good characters, great meta story at work and some very entertaining story arcs.

Red Country (The First Law Book 3)
Red Country (The First Law Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Country..., 8 Nov. 2012
Just great. Mr Abercrombie has managed to spin another fine yarn!

As with Heroes and Best Served cold, it is set in the same world as the First Law trilogy... again covering a new and interesting area. A few familiar characters reappear, along with some great new material.

Thoroughly engrossed me and cost me a good nights sleep finishing it off... just couldn't put it down. As always, he kept me guessing until the last page.

Made of awesomeness - if you've enjoyed his other stuff, this must be read!