Profile for alison monks-plackett > Reviews

Content by alison monks-p...

alison monks-plackett

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Railway Children [2000] (Tv-Film) [DVD]
The Railway Children [2000] (Tv-Film) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jenny Agutter

5.0 out of 5 stars To enjoy, 18 Jan 2013
For the younger generation who have been following the Midwives - it will come as a revelation to see Jenny Agutter at the start of her career. For those of us who saw this in the original, it still holds it's appeal, even years after. A great DVD with bags of nostalgic peeks into the great days of steam.

The Borrowers - Series 1 [DVD]
The Borrowers - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Holm

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 18 Jan 2013
Really lovely to see this again as an adult. The book was part of my childhood and the original BBC production was a wonderful interpretation. It is totally ageless and I'm sure the concept of the little people will still appeal, even to the techno children of today.

An American In Paris [DVD] [1951]
An American In Paris [DVD] [1951]
Dvd ~ Gene Kelly
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect purchase., 18 Jan 2013
I saw this film (again) on BBC over Christmas and was determined to have a permanent copy. It is an absolute classic - dance routines, sets, costumes - all wonderful. I found it for 'a song' from direct_offers_uk, though I think I got the last copy before a big price jump from other suppliers. It arrived in France in record time - with a free Christmas film as a gift. I am absolutely delighted with this supplier.

The Last of the Mohicans [DVD]
The Last of the Mohicans [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Abineri

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally biased, 15 Dec 2012
I was so delighted to find this production on DVD. As a junior makeup assistant I passed weeks beside the loch in Drumnadrochit with non-stop rain. Bed at midnight after curling ladders on wigs, getting up at 5 to cover Huron indians in body makeup and spending days frantically patching it up as it washed off in the rain. Sunny days were spent in Black Park trying to avoid Oliver Reed walking on the water and planes overhead. Continuity had the worst nightmare and of course it shows if you look in detail. BUT - they don't make 'em like this any more and I could watch it again and again. Thoroughly recommended both for enjoyment and as a collectable.

Mamma Mia! Special Edition (2 Discs) [DVD]
Mamma Mia! Special Edition (2 Discs) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Formats

5.0 out of 5 stars To be enjoyed again and again., 9 Nov 2010
I was probably the only person not to have seen either the stage show or the film and wanted to know why everyone was raving about it. Now I know. As long as you are looking for pure entertainment, it can be enjoyed on every level, whether you are singing along with the Abba music, sighing over Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth, marvelling at Meryl Steep,or admiring the brilliant camerawork, stunning locations and superb choreography, I think you will find this film has it all.

If you have need of Christmas viewing for family, late night watching with friends or even if you are on your own, I would highly recommend this DVD. No matter what your age, or how many times you have seen it before, it will still come up as fresh and funny - and utterly watchable.

Tommy Steele The Decca Years 1956-1963
Tommy Steele The Decca Years 1956-1963

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Very Best, 24 Aug 2010
I still have and play from time to time, my original vinyl from 'The Tommy Steele Story' which I bought with my pocket money having seen the film five tīmes at the cinema in 1957. However, being able to group all the tracks and more on a new CD, which I can now download on an IPod thanks to my daughter, really does bring the past into the present in a great way. I thoroughly recommend this CD which groups the best of Tommy's songs, brings back lots of memories and hopefully will introduce some 'fun' music to a new generation. If you missed Tommy Steele by being too old or too young, you need to catch up with this CD.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3