Profile for Lily_M > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Under the Dome
Under the Dome

3.0 out of 5 stars I love you, SK, but..., 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Under the Dome (Kindle Edition)
Not my favourite. Great concept, but honestly prefer the tv series (and kind of want to smack myself in the face with a shovel for admitting that- always been a 'Book before Film' sort of person!)
Big Jim especially is far more menacing in the program, and doesn't talk like such an idiot. Got really irritated with all his 'son of a rhymes-with-witch' nonsense! Usually, King gives good dialogue, but this just feels like he's not really *hearing* them this time, y'know?

Still worth a read, but not going on my Read Until the Spine Falls Apart (or in this case Until The Buttons Wear Down) list.

A Prayer For Owen Meany
A Prayer For Owen Meany

5.0 out of 5 stars *sob*, 27 Jun 2014
A friend recommended this to me.
He'd been so enthused about it after he read it that he actually told me pretty much the whole plot, including the ending; but even with the huge spoilers, I was able to get a lot of pleasure out of reading this book.

Owen is a very unique character, and the story of his life is by turns hilarious, heartbreaking, and downright odd!

Irving is an expert at creating complex and compelling characters, none of them entirely good or bad, likeable or loath-able...Even the most unusual among them feel incredibly real, and it is the characters that drive his stories rather than the other way around.

An excellent read.

Life After Life
Life After Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Time After Time, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Found the structure of this a little disorientating for the first few chapters! Wasn't expecting it and kept wondering which parts connected to which (if at all!)
But once I got past my initial confusion (and I am a natural blonde!) I thoroughly enjoyed this. Very cleverly written.

The P45 Diaries
The P45 Diaries

1.0 out of 5 stars No Adrian Mole, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
I think my Review Title says it all, really. This book felt like it wanted to be the modern Mole, but missed the mark by being too try-hard.

The Cider House Rules (Black Swan)
The Cider House Rules (Black Swan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Jun 2014
Not going to write a full review, thanks for the pressure, Amazon! :-/

Character-driven excellence from Irving. Quite slow-paced, but an interesting concept, peopled by fascinating characters.

The Rabbit Back Literature Society
The Rabbit Back Literature Society

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jun 2014
Oh, Amazon, I enjoy a good review when I'm in the mood, but why have you made them compulsory alongside the star rating???

Fellow Bookworms: I won't write a full review right now. But if you like well-written mysteries, you could do a lot worse than this book. One of the best I've read this year.

Some Kind of Fairy Tale
Some Kind of Fairy Tale

4.0 out of 5 stars Joyce is on form, 27 Jun 2014
I have read other books by Graham Joyce in the last, and find his work to be of a consistently high standard. Well-drawn, believable and interesting characters paired with compelling storylines and a sprinkle of magic and mystery.
This offering does not disappoint.

The quality of the writing was as good as I would have expected from Joyce, and I especially liked the use of the character of the psychiatrist/psychologist (I've never really understood the difference!) as his reports gave a good contrast to the rest of the story, and his involvement in the plot as a whole was unexpected.

If you like your 'grown up' literature with a pinch of fairy dust, you'll enjoy this.

The Accidental Time Traveller
The Accidental Time Traveller

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost..., 27 Jun 2014
I have given this 3 stars purely based on the amount of historical detail that the book contains. The 1950s are my favourite historical era, but I am well aware that the romanticised version seen in things like 'Grease' or 'Happy Days' are far from the reality that most people experienced at that time, and so it was nice to see that the author had done her research.

However, in terms of quality writing, it fell flat. It took me less than a page to divine the entire plot from start to finish, so there were no exciting twists or turns. I knew immediately which minor, supposedly 'unimportant' characters from the past would be connected to, or be the younger versions of, characters in the future. I knew what life lessons the protagonist would gain from her experience. Predictable barely covers it....there was sooooo much blatant foreshadowing, and to be fair the prose was nothing special. The characters weren't particularly likeable or interesting, either.

So, full marks for research and effort, but a bit low on quality content.

The Hating Game
The Hating Game

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hating Game (Kindle Edition)
This is pretty terrible. I couldn't even get much past the first chapter.
Characters aren't at all interesting or likeable, and the author repeatedly breaks one of the cardinal rules of good writing "SHOW don't TELL." Every paragraph left me feeling like my intelligence was being insulted.
The storyline isn't particularly clever or engaging, and I just found that the style of prose annoyed me to the point where I couldn't bring myself to keep reading.
I am an avid reader, and it is extremely rare for me to find myself unable to finish a book(usually even if I'm not keen, I'll persevere until the end of the story)but honestly, this was just painfully bad. Don't bother.

Weirder Than Weird (18 bizarre tales from a disturbed mind)
Weirder Than Weird (18 bizarre tales from a disturbed mind)

2.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish, 29 Dec 2013
I was very disappointed by this collection of short stories.

The twists are, by and large, predictable; and the writing itself is poor.

I suspect this book is an example of the vanity press, as I don't think it would have got past an editor and proofreader without extensive changes being made.

The dialogue in particular irritated me, as it was clunky and unnatural in style; not at all the way real people would speak, and so disengaged me from the characters.

The prose wasn't anything special, and was littered with grammatical errors; most notably the author's inability to stick to one particular tense in a sentence. A line might start out in present simple and suddenly change to past perfect continuous, even though there had been no change in location/time of the action.

I love short stories, and when I purchased this collection I had high hopes for something of similar in quality to those produced by King, Gaiman et al, but unfortunately, this fell far short of my expectations.

If the author is indeed a young amateur writer, then I suggest they purchase a good grammar guide, eg Strunk and White's The Elements of Style and pay particular attention to the styles and techniques used by successful authors to produce believable characters and situations. I would also encourage them to forget about vanity publishing. If you're a good writer, a prestigious publisher will eventually accept your submissions.

Page: 1 | 2