Profile for Lew623 > Reviews

Miranda - The Finale [DVD]
Miranda - The Finale [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Going To Miss You Miranda!, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Miranda - The Finale [DVD] (DVD)
There is a definite whole in British Comedy without this woman. She really can turn your mood from depressed to over the moon. I have loved watching her over the past years and completely honestly, my life is better having watched her show. There are constant laughs throughout. This review is not just of The Final Specials but of the show as a whole. It's a complete gem! I don't know what I'm going to do without it.

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD] [2014]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

4.0 out of 5 stars Experimental yet succesful series, 23 Nov. 2014
Peter Capaldi. An interesting and controversial choice. Perhaps it was time for an older man after the two pretty boys. I wasn't sure at first but I can now confidently say he was the right choice.

DEEP BREATH (9/10): Very action packed series opener. Great introduction to Capaldi's Doctor. Jenna-Louise Coleman performed incredibly here, The Paternoster Gang added humour and secretly bringing back the Clockwork Robots. Genius!
INTO THE DALEK (7/10): I had been looking forward to this episode, to meeting Danny Pink. Turns out he's going to be a love interest instead of a companion. *Groan*. But the episode on the whole was good. Nice idea, good actors all round. Some dalek action. Good stuff.
ROBOT OF SHERWOOD (8/10): I enjoyed this episode as I have always loved Robin Hood. I enjoyed the old BBC series back when it was on. Although the monsters could have been a bit more imaginative, the way the competition between The Doctor and Robin was played made the episode.
LISTEN (9/10): "What if you're never really alone?" Oooo! This one got me! Had the hairs of adults and kids alike standing on end at the back of their necks. It was a nice little scare. And the idea that it was all in The Doctor's head since Clara touched him on Gallifrey was a cool twist. But by now I was starting to worry about the love stuff. Taking up a bit too much of the episode.
TIME HEIST (10/10): I just loved this one. It was so slick, so well written. The two actors playing Psi and Zaibra will go far in acting, very good performances. Keeley Hawes also played the perfect villain. And the Teller monster, give the guy who designed that a medal!
THE CARETAKER (3/10): NO! NO! NO! We do not want Waterloo Road! Goodness me, too much love-stuff, too much of that ghastly Courtney girl. NOT GOOD!
KILL THE MOON (4/10): Oh dear! They brought Courtney. Awful actress! And plot holes, why would Clara be nice to a girl that bullied her when she started teaching. They should have ejected her into space, little brat. The idea was okay if a bit childish and the spiders would have been good if used a bit more.
MUMMY ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (9/10): And Doctor Who Series 8 is back on track! The design of the Mummy was brilliant and the whole story even better. That clock counting down at the bottom of the screen every time someone saw the Mummy really added to the terror. The guests of Frank Skinner and Foxes added to the quality of the episode also.
FLATLINE (9/10): Doctor in my pocket! Almost comical, this one. I love that The Doctor was stuck in the TARDIS in Clara's bag while she went around solving the mystery like Sarah Jane Smith. The highlight of the episode for me was Jovian Wade as Rigsy. Outstanding performance. He really stole the show.
IN THE FOREST OF THE NIGHT (7/10): Trees saving Planet Earth? Well it's original, I'll give it that! The episode would have been better without all those kids, I must confess. Not many acting skills and they all looked a bit clueless on screen.
DARK WATER (10/10): Incredible! Capaldi and Coleman at their very best! The Nethersphere and 3W theory was such a good idea. And Michelle Gomez was a perfect M_____, I won't spoil it for you!
DEATH IN HEAVEN (7/10) Such a good build-up to the introduction of the Cybermen. Such a disappointment here. Tip for you Steven Moffat; if you're going to do a cybermen episode, be sure to include the Cybermen! Having The M_____ in this meant that there was not enough Cyber action. Think back to the classic days of "The Tomb Of The Cybermen" and "The Invasion". That's how you do a Cybermen story! It was a mistake in my opinion to kill off Osgood, she was a popular character. And when Santa Clause appeared at the end, my reaction was - "After this series, why not?"

ACTORS: Capaldi - really good actor, portrays a darker Doctor really well. In Time Heist, I really accepted him as The Doctor. He may not be able to run very fast but who cares.
Coleman - Clara is one of my favourite Doctor Who companions ever. Coleman is such a great actress and I will miss her when she goes.

STORY-ARCS: Promised Land - one of the best arcs yet, that's all I have to say.
Danny Pink - yuck! Too much lovey-dovey mush! Why couldn't they have portrayed Clara and Danny as friends. A relationship like that of Jamie and Victoria or Ben and Polly. I didn't see much point of this character seeing as he stepped inside the TARDIS like twice was it? and never actually travelled anywhere.

But overall, an experimental but successful series of Doctor Who. Roll on 2015!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2014 11:08 AM GMT

What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rosamund Pike

4.0 out of 5 stars The New Outnumbered, 1 Nov. 2014
Very good film. Lots of funny moments and a well thought out plot. Definitely a film to buy if you like Outnumbered and a good giggle to watch. Won't say much more because I'll just end up giving the whole plot away. Watch it for yourself and enjoy.

Miranda Hart - My, What I Call, Live Show [DVD] [2014]
Miranda Hart - My, What I Call, Live Show [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy To Watch, 19 Oct. 2014
Absolutely hilarious! Non-stop laughter throughout. I wonder if the guy who gave one star went to the wrong show! If you love Miranda - The TV Show then you will love this too. Some of the old favourites are packed into here along with some side-splitting new escapades of Miranda Hart including a mix-up between a child and a dwarf-woman, Mum Mistakes and general social mess-ups. The show is such fun, what I call amazing. Bear with, I'm off to press "Pre-Order Now"!

Disney Sing-Along - Frozen
Disney Sing-Along - Frozen

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything Except Frozen Heart, 7 Sept. 2014
Great for kids (and teenagers ;) ). Every song here except Frozen Heart (I suppose there isn't really a backing track just backing vocals and the sound of the tools going into the ice. Fantastic for singing along to at parties.

Doctor Who - 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition [DVD]
Doctor Who - 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Collection!, 6 Sept. 2014
This is an initial review of all the stuff I have watched on here which will be edited once I have seen everything.

(The following review is copied from my review of Series 7 Complete Boxset)
13. THE NAME OF THE DOCTOR (10/10): a perfect prequel to the even more perfect 50th anniversary special. The mystery behind Clara is very clever; she is just a normal girl who followed the GI into the Doc's timestream. I adore the opening scene with Clara following all the Doctors, the Whispermen are terrifying and seeing Trenzalore reminds us that The Doc won't live forever.

The Night Of The Doctor (8/10) A lovely surprise, McGann is great as The Doctor and the story is very interesting and well scripted. Nice prequel to The Day Of The Doctor.

The Last Day (5.5/10) Perhaps the weaker of the two prequels to Day, probably because 1-It doesn't have McGann or any other Doctor and 2-it is a lot shorter. But still an interesting insight into the battle and fall of Arcadia

The Day Of The Doctor (11/10) I know it is not mathematically possible to give eleven out of ten but that's how much I enjoyed it. I went to see this in the cinema and was far from disappointed. It is everything a 50th anniversary special should be. No, all the Doctors weren't it but we all know in our hearts that it wouldn't have worked. No, Christopher Eccleston didn't join in but I couldn't imagine anyone better than John Hurt now. There were hilarious lines with great timing from every Doctor and all the supporting roles. Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman are at their best, David Tennant walks back into the role like he's never been away and Billie Piper is perfect as The Moment. And the appearance of Tom Baker at the end just left me speechless!

Cinema Openings For TDOTD (10/10) Very funny. Contains a hilarious sketch starring Strax telling you all the cinema rules and a very funny intro from Smith and Tennant about 3D. Great opener to the special.

The Time Of The Doctor (7/10) Matt Smith's final episode and guess what, it's an Xmas themed regeneration again! For me and lots of others the special seemed a bit rushed due to having to add Crimbo themes into it. There wasn't as much action as I'd hoped, just Matt Smith aging. I don't know why he sent Clara back twice that was a bit stupid. But the end to the story-arc was quite rewarding and I thought Matt Smith had a lovely farewell, smiling and fare-welling instead of sniveling and crying like his predecessor.

The Five(Ish) Doctors Reboot (9/10) Hilarious if you are a big fan of the show. Full of old faces from across the show including John Barrowman and Russell T Davies. It also features Davison, Baker (Colin, not Tom unfortunately), McCoy and McGann. The special was produced by Georgia Tennant (nee Moffat) Davison's daughter and wife of David Tennant. You won't understand how good the special is until you watch it so go forth and watch it!

An Adventure In Space And Time (10/10) Touching, heartwarming and educational. The complete story of Doctor Who being lifted off the ground and the story of the first 4 successful years. There is the story of Verity Lambert and Warris Hussein, a wannabe producer and director, struggling to get jobs in TV because of racism and sexism of the 1960s who are given the opportunity of a life-time to make themselves household names. They are an inspiration to anyone, not just in the Doctor Who world. Then there is the sad story of William Hartnell getting attached to the show and being let go due to his deteriorating health. There are also many other minor stories like the set being made, the theme tune, Hartnell's family, how Jacqueline Hill got onto the show and more. Mark Gatiss has really outdone himself this time.

More stuff to be reviewed once I have watched everything.

Outnumbered - Complete Series 1-5 [DVD]
Outnumbered - Complete Series 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Skinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, just amazing, 29 Jun. 2014
This series is just incredible. Although I didn't start watching until Series 4 in 2011, I quickly bought all the box-sets. Outnumbered is funny, witty and just all round fun. Even by Series 5 they still make you laugh out loud despite your age. Some of the things that Ramona Marquez (Karen) used to come up with had me in tears of laughter. And the sarcasm of Hugh Dennis (Pete) is hilarious. Buy this because it explores family life and just makes you laugh all the time. Outnumbered will be sorely missed by me.

Included are all 34 episodes

Doctor Who - The Invasion (2 Disc Set) [DVD] [1968]
Doctor Who - The Invasion (2 Disc Set) [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Slow, But..., 17 Jan. 2014
With Parts 1 and 4 animated, here comes the 8-part Troughton epic, The Invasion. Here the cybermen are at their strongest with a brand new design and a cunning plan. It may be a bit slow as we don't catch a glimpse of a cyberman until the end of Episode 4 but it is still a classic. This story also sets the tone for the Jon Pertwee years, this being the 2nd appearance of the Brigadier in Doctor Who and the 1st appearance of UNIT in Doctor Who.

BUY because it is a classic and the template for early 70s Doctor Who.
DON'T BUY if you don't like stories that are slow.

Doctor Who -  The Complete Series 7 [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 50th Anniversary Season, 16 Jan. 2014
The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary season is a corker. The sad farewell of the Ponds, the puzzling mystery of Clara, exciting and interesting scripts, clever twists and some terrifying monsters.

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL 2011 - THE DOCTOR, THE WIDOW AND THE WARDROBE
7/10: a bit cheesy but Hey! It's Christmas

SERIES 7 - PART 1

1. ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS (9/10): great to see all those Daleks although there could have been a little bit more action. For me, the highlight of the story is Jenna-Louise Coleman as the sexy Oswin. I wish Clara could be a bit more like that.
2. DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP (8/10): the doctor has a gang! Maybe some adults would find it boring but it's perfect for the kids. And Mark Williams is the perfect choice for Rory's dad.
3. A TOWN CALLED MERCY (7/10): a bit boring when i first watched it but it grew on me. A good story but cowboy western mumbo-jumbo isn't really my cup of tea.
4. THE POWER OF THREE (8/10): the year of the slow invasion. An interesting insight into the Ponds' life. Jemma Redgrave is good as Kate Stewart just as she is in The Day of the Doctor. I wonder if she's actually a Zygon at this point aswell? I give 8/10 for the first half-hour as the ending seemed a bit rushed and we never learn why the Shakri took Brian and some other humans.
5. THE ANGELS TAKE MANHATTAN (9/10): the much awaited return of the Weeping Angels and in New York too! Alex Kingston is amusing as River Song as always although she has been turning up like a bad penny in the past year. The Angels do not dissapoint and the Ponds' farewell is as emotional as promised although as other people have said, Rory doesn't get a proper send-off.

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL 2012 - THE SNOWMEN
8/10: Good old Vastra, Jenny and Strax are back as the comedy Victorian gang along with the return of the Great Intelligence after nearly 45 years away from the show. Jenna-Louise Coleman pops up again, this time as a Victorian barmaid/governess called Clara. Good episode but I feel that the snowmen could have popped up a bit more seeing as the title of the story is The Snowmen.

SERIES 7 - PART 2

6. THE BELLS OF SAINT JOHN (8/10): nice idea, people getting attacked through the Wi-Fi. Fun season opener with a suprise cameo of Richard E Grant as The GI.
7. THE RINGS OF AKHATEN (2/10): utter guff. Boring, pointless, stupid. WAY TOO MUCH singing for my liking. If it wasn't for the magical yet sad story of Clara's parents before the opening sequence, I would have given this story 0.
8. COLD WAR (9/10): although the ice-warriors haven't been in Doctor Who since 1974, they are still just as chilling. I absolutely loved the idea of an ice-warrior coming out of its suit. There were obviously a lot of ice-warriors in the ship that came to rescue Skaldak. Maybe hinting a more epic ice-warrior story next year?
9. HIDE (8/10): oh dear, I thought. Another story by the author of Rings. I was pleasantly surprised by this story however. It's quite clever and has some good acting. I think the bit at the end with the scorpion-alien-things in love was a bit weird though.
10. JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE TARDIS (8/10): cool story. A great way to see what's actually in the TARDIS.
11. THE CRIMSON HORROR (8/10): watching this episode, I knew that a Vastra, Jenny, Strax spin-off would be great. This is a very funny yet gruesome tail and an enjoyable watch.
12. NIGHTMARE IN SILVER (6.5/10): an okay story but the cybermen are now too powerful. They're meant to have weaknesses. It's all a bit silly in some ways between bringing along the kids, the Doctor playing chess with himself and Clara hiding out in a fairy castle with Griphook the Goblin.

Overall a really enjoyable season. Buy if you like action packed, monster filled Doctor Who.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 8:10 AM BST

Doctor Who - The Tomb Of The Cybermen [1967] [DVD] [1963]
Doctor Who - The Tomb Of The Cybermen [1967] [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Doctor Who Story Ever, 16 Jan. 2014
I found this DVD whilst digging through a load of old junk in a Morrisons' store in Pembrokshire. Pat Troughton is my fave Doctor and the cybermen are my fave monsters so I decided to buy it. I'm so glad I did. It is sheer brilliance. TV Gold. It can teach a lesson to Steven Moffat about how 39 episodes don't have to be linked together in one long storyline to make them good. This story is simple but perfect. A good set of characters, some friends, some foes. Then there's Jamie, how I love good old Jamie, Victoria, the stunning screamer, and of course the always amazing Pat Troughton. Then there are the cybermen. I wish they could still look like this. Terrifying, powerful and spine-tingling. And the music when they emerge from their icy tombs is sensational. The Cybermen now can just upgrade themselves which is stupid as the Cybermen aren't meant to be invincible.
Please buy if you like Pat Troughton and The Cybermen. But buy it in the Revisitations boxset as it comes with The Three Doctors and The Robots of Death, two more good stories. Trust me, it will not dissapoint.

Page: 1 | 2