ARRAY(0xa587f390)

The Very Best Of Val Doonican
The Very Best Of Val Doonican
Price: 4.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Dad gift!, 6 Mar 2013
Bought for my Dad for Christmas. All the classic VDoonican numbers are on here. Nostalgic and old fashioned, this will have your Dad singing along for the old times.

Delia's Cakes
Delia's Cakes
by Delia Smith
Price: 5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Delia's New Book Disappoints, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I did not have the original "Book of Cakes" (1977) upon which this new book is based. I was excited to get my hands on the new edition after seeing Delia Smith on TV promoting it. My initial response is that I was really disappointed at the style of photography she has chosen to use in her book to illustrate each recipe. I understand it is a popular style for food photography these days: grainy, arty, strong use of depth-of-field and background fading. But for me, the style of photography used here is terrible, giving a murky, dull impression which makes the cakes look old and stale. For example the Apricot Hazelnut Meringue Cake (page 212) looks grey, grainy, almost cement/mortar-like. Even worse is the Sticky Prune and Date Cake (page 87), which actually gives the impression that the cake is burnt. And the Iced Lemon Curd Layer Cake (page 35) is so inaccurate to the actual colour of an iced lemon curd cake (of which I have made a few) that it is actually hard to tell it's a lemon cake. I just wonder who proofed the book before it went to the printers and why the go-ahead was given when there are clearly issues with the photography and lighting?

The "Contents" break down as follows: Sponge cakes; Loaf cakes; Family cakes; Little cakes; muffins; biscuits; chocolate cakes; celebration cakes; dessert cakes. There is now a very savvy link up between Delia Smith and bakeware manufacturer "Silverwood", creating a small cake tin range that fits exactly her recipes and will (she says) last a lifetime. If you are a new baker starting out and wanting to invest, this is a great idea. There is also the newly launched DeliaOnline Cookery where Delia will be online to answer questions via live webchats.

Recipe tried: I made the Apricot Crumble Muffins yesterday. Downside: The ingredients list is centred in a bit of a muddle on the page with -sometimes- 3 or 4 ingredients on the one line, each ingredient separated by a small icon. This makes the list hard to read. Also, the text for the ingredients list is coloured a pale green, a poor colour choice as it is too pale on the page. The recipe itself is written in a slightly convoluted way, as if several voices were competing on the content. Upside: The end result was fairly good - a nice, light, well risen muffin with a spicy crumble topping.

One last comment: I expected that it would not have been too much trouble, with the teams at her disposal, for Delia to provide a short nutrition analysis, or even a one-line calorie label for each recipe. I think this would have been of interest to a lot of her readers and it's a shame this has not been included. In general, a very disappointing book.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 6:02 PM GMT

Power Yoga Total Body [DVD] [2005]
Power Yoga Total Body [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Rodney Yee
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Build up a sweat, then stretch and chill., 1 Jan 2013
Rodney Yee is a calm and serious presence who exudes authority and yet is a gentle teacher. The first few weeks that I tried this dvd I found hard going and had to modify some of the routine to suit my ability range. As a long term moderate exerciser I soon got used to it. I have been doing this dvd regularly for 2 years now and have built it into my weekly exercise plan - I work out using this dvd twice and do a pilates dvd once, then switch around the next week to doing the pilates dvd twice and the yoga dvd once. I'm not a huge exerciser therefore, working out using a mix of dvd's just 3 times a week, that's what I can manage and feel happy with. Rodney's dvd is a really good workout and I return to it again and again. You will build up a good sweat, gain good balance control, improve in flexibility and strength and feel calmer. A great dvd, probably not a beginners dvd, more suited to intermediate range with moderate ability and good strength. I have given it 5 stars because it has stood the test of time for me and I can't pick out any downside to it. I highly recommend it.

Angie Lewin: Plants and Places
Angie Lewin: Plants and Places
by Angie Lewin
Price: 16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gift for art/nature lovers, 26 May 2011
This is a seductive book, providing a fascinating insight into the world of a very talented printmaker and artist. The chapters are divided into "coast", "woodland and hedgerow", "river and loch", "meadow and garden" and "studio". Each chapter opens with some beautiful photography and text detailing the background to the locations for Lewin's art as well as interesting personal details "..we accidentally found a derelict croft on the side of a hill looking out on to Ben Rinnes and later bought it.....the views are truly wonderful and ever changing"... The illustrations throughout are utterly beautiful, I can happily sit with a cup of coffee and browse through the pages for hours. What is very special is to follow the artist from inspirational pebble, seedhead or wildflower via sensitively rendered, delicate notebook drawings to finely detailed and skillfully produced print or fabric. Completely absorbing and deeply inspirational. Highly recommended.

Moleskine Volant Daily Diary 2010 (Moleskine Srl)
Moleskine Volant Daily Diary 2010 (Moleskine Srl)
by Moleskine
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart idea, great diary!, 15 Dec 2009
I have been looking for the perfect diary for a long time. Finally I have found it! This beautifully crafted diary is a delight. Boxed in a hard elasticated case, it is a lovely compact size. There are 12 colour coded diaries. The colours are fresh and contemporary and season-appropriate (April is candy pink, June is a zingy citrus, August sky blue etc). There are big number stickers that can be affixed to each diary (1 for January, 2 for February and so on) making it easy to identify each diary quickly according to the number; as well as smaller labels with the name of the month. As each month is in a separate diary, this means you are not carrying around a diary the weight of a brick for the entire year! Such a simple yet smart idea, which I personally love. Within each diary, there is a page per day, with a helpful timeline (hourly/from 8.00 am through to 8.00 pm) for each day, except Sundays. There are the usual pages at the front of each diary for personal data, and blank pages at the back for your own notes. As if that were not enough, there are also 2010 and 2011 year planners, travel planning pages, international time zones and a helpful mini 5/inches ruler. I have marked the Moleskine Volant Daily Diary 5 stars because it is an excellent product and well worth every cent (it cost me just under 25.00 euros). I had seen many other, pricier diaries which could not hold a candle to this beauty. There is a reason Moleskine products are extremely popular and this diary is a great example of that: quality, quality, quality.