Profile for CheeseFan > Reviews

Content by CheeseFan

CheeseFan

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The C# Player's Guide (2nd Edition)
The C# Player's Guide (2nd Edition)
by RB Whitaker

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent, accessible guide to C# - very readable, 12 Jun. 2016
This is an excellent, accessible guide to C# - very readable, especially when compared to some of the more dry books such as the Microsoft official guides. RB Whitaker explains things in a clear way but without being patronising, providing enough detail for a beginner while also giving some deeper info for more experienced programmers. Very impressed.

Last Tango in Halifax - Series 3 [DVD]
Last Tango in Halifax - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anne Reid

3.0 out of 5 stars Become too much like a soap, 13 April 2016
*warning spoilers*

I am a huge fan of Sally Wainwright and 'At Home with the Braithwaites' and 'Happy Valley' are two of my all time favourite TV shows.

I loved series 1 of 'Last Tango...' which was funny, warm and engaging - but I feel from series 2 onwards it lost its way, becoming nothing more than a soap. I have given three stars because the acting is unparalleled, but the writing (in my humble opinion) left a lot to be desired. Not only did I find the storylines repetitive and melodramatic, but I found them cheap and meaningless at times. In particular the death of Kate felt like sensationalised melodrama and unnecessarily cruel - it also let Celia off the hook for her grotesque behaviour on Caroline's wedding day. In fact, I find the casual homophobia displayed in 'Last Tango' quite distasteful and not at all what I find in real life. The story is set a stone's throw from Hebden Bridge - the UK's gay capital - and yet you'd think Caroline was the only gay person in the history of the world.

I really hope series 4 finds its way back to its roots and leaves the soap operatics to Emmerdale.

TeckNet Prima 3-Button Optical USB Wired Mouse, 1000 dpi
TeckNet Prima 3-Button Optical USB Wired Mouse, 1000 dpi
Offered by Hippidion.Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mouse, 10 April 2016
Excellent mouse. I got fed up with using the touchpad on my laptop and wanted a decent - but cheap - USB mouse to plug in and use instead. I tried a couple from various highstreet shops but they were useless - the pointer was inaccurate and slow. This mouse does the job on every count. It is quick, accurate and easy to use. It provides just the right amount of tactile feedback when using the roller/buttons. I have quite small hands and this is very comfortable to use - I couldn't comment on what it would be like with someone with big hands. Personally I am very happy with this purchase, and the price is excellent.

One Year No Beer: The Ultimate Social Challenge
One Year No Beer: The Ultimate Social Challenge

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - motivating, 22 Mar. 2016
Fantastic book - motivating, inspiring. I would urge anyone to read it, especially if you are reconsidering your relationship with alcohol or fancy a challenge.

The Linden Method - The Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks & Phobias Elimination Solution by Charles Linden (1997) Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Choose an evidence based therapy instead, 12 Mar. 2016
The Linden Method is currently under investigation by Trading Standards for false advertising, after being referred by the Advertising Standards Agency. This alone should set alarm bells ringing. Couple this with the fact that there is not one iota of independent, peer-reviewed evidence supporting the method (despite being in operation for 15+ years) and it should probably tell you what you need to know. I would recommend one of the many, affordable self-help books based on evidence-based therapies such as CBT ('At last a life' for anxiety, or 'Brain Lock', 'Break Free from OCD' for OCD); and of course seeing your GP for a referral to a qualified therapist (for free) is unbeatable. Steer clear of this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2016 6:30 AM BST

Bimuno Prebiotic Powder 30 Sachets
Bimuno Prebiotic Powder 30 Sachets
Offered by Blue Herbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical but hopeful, 11 Mar. 2016
EDIT - 24/04/2016

Unfortunately I have downgraded my review to 3 stars. I still believe it makes a difference, but the enormously positive effects of the early days have definitely waned the longer I've taken it. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what causes symptoms to worsen or get better - even with keeping a food journal - and sometimes I think 'it is what it is'. I would still recommend Bimuno. A number of symptoms have undoubtedly improved since I started taking it, just not to the same extent that I originally thought in the early days. Hopefully this honest and hopefully unbiased review will help someone to decide whether bimuno is for them.

If things change I will update again :)

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I have tried literally everything you could possibly imagine to try and improve the IBS symptoms which have come to dominate my life - peppermint oil, buscapan, amitryptiline, low fodmap diet, probiotics, and even some of the more 'out there' stuff (which I won't write here because I don't want to encourage people to be as stupid as I was :)

I have had varying but limited success with some of these approaches, but the overall trend of my IBS has still been to get worse and worse, to the point where it dominates my day, every single day.

I started taking Bimuno roughly ten days ago. I like to think of myself as quite a scientific person and sceptical about everything I try. So what I'm about to say could be pure coincidence - it could be to do with bimuno, or something else entirely. But here's what's happened over the last ten days.

I have taken a sachet of Bimuno powder every morning with my coffee, along with a sachet of strong probiotics (VSL#3). I have taken the VSL#3 many times before, with little success. For the first couple of days I experienced increased, erm, gas (sorry no other way of putting it). I thought 'here we go, another thing that doesn't work.' But I stuck at it.

I am quite nerdy and like to keep a record of symptoms, what I've eaten etc - and I can see over the last ten days, aside from the first couple of days when things got worse, everything has got DRASTICALLY better (and I mean, DRASTICALLY - in a way it hasn't done in a very long time). For the first time in as long as I can remember, my day is not dominated by IBS. I haven't had to dramatically restrict my diet. Last night I went out for dinner and had cheese, bread, chutney, wine and beer - I fully expected to pay a heavy price but this morning I feel completely fine, I have an 'empty', light feeling I never normally have, ever, especially not after a heavy meal like that.

As I say, it could be a coincidence, and it is early days. I will update this review as time goes by - if it continues like this I will up it to 5 stars.

But I feel genuinely hopeful that this is something that could actually work.

I have looked into the research carried out by Reading University. There appears to be some limited but genuine scientific evidence in its favour. However, there was an independent review carried out on this, which concluded the studies were not designed well enough to demonstrate efficacy. So I remain sceptical. However - I will continue doing my little research study of one and report my findings as time goes by.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2016 7:22 PM GMT

Taking One For The Team
Taking One For The Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album - really upbeat, 27 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Taking One For The Team (Audio CD)
Fantastic album - really upbeat, feel-good pop rock. They seem to have left behind the element of 'woe is me' emo rock of my childhood and have focused more on dance-your-socks-off tunes. My favourites are 'Singing in the Rain' and 'I Refuse' - I also like 'I Don't Wanna Be Sad', which has an element of poking fun at the whole genre ('truth be told, it's getting old').

I instantly loved pretty much every single track - this album has been a long time coming and the guys have definitely not disappointed.

Rewind, Replay, Repeat: A Memoir of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Rewind, Replay, Repeat: A Memoir of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
by Jeff Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars really gets to the heart of what this vicious and debilitating condition is like. I would urge anyone who thinks they're 'so ..., 26 Feb. 2016
Superb read, really gets to the heart of what this vicious and debilitating condition is like. I would urge anyone who thinks they're 'so OCD' because they like to colour code their socks (etc) to read this. Beautifully written and engaging read. 5 stars.

Becks - German Alcohol Free Beer - 24 x 275 ml - 0% ABV
Becks - German Alcohol Free Beer - 24 x 275 ml - 0% ABV
Offered by a2zdrinks Express Delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars By far the best alcohol free beer, 21 Feb. 2016
By far the best alcohol free beer. It really does taste like real beer (well, almost). Not as nice as a really good 'real' beer, but an excellent choice for the health conscious, or if you're pregnant or driving or just don't want to have any alcohol but enjoy the taste of beer. Lower in calories as well (39 calories per bottle) and without the loaded sugar and chemicals of some other soft drinks. Highly recommend.

Bird by Bird: Instructions on Writing and Life
Bird by Bird: Instructions on Writing and Life
by Anne Lamott

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore 'Bird by Bird', 20 Feb. 2016
I absolutely adore this book. Sure, if you're after a book of writing advice about plotting, dialogue, characterisation, etc, this probably isn't going to help a huge amount. I would recommend 'Novel Writing - a Handbook' or 'On Writing' by Stephen King, for more practical instructions and advice. What this book is really good for - and I would say unparalleled in anything else I have read - is providing inspiration, comfort, reassurance, and motivation. The front cover says tips 'for writing and life' and it is exactly that - I often dip in and out of it when I want a little lift of positivity. It is corny in parts, but I actually love that; reading a few pages injects me with a feeling of being in love with life and with writing. It doesn't tell me how to write a story outline or realistic dialogue; but it does have me chomping at the bit to reach for the pen and get my thoughts down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9