Profile for P Seccombe > Reviews

Content by P Seccombe

P Seccombe (Surrey, UK)

Samsung Galaxy Note PRO 12.2-inch Tablet (Black) - (Exynos 5 Octa, 3GB RAM, 32GB Storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.4)
Offered by beauty stores

4.0 out of 5 stars It is good, but Samsung NEVER go that extra mile to make it 5 STARS, 17 Jun. 2014
Back Ground
This is my first tablet, but my 3rd Samsung mobile device and 4th stylus device. I have a Galaxy Note 1. I have been using stylus devices since the first Palm Pilot.

General Review
The screen size is fantastic and the stylus works great. I have no issues of PPI or colour. It is all an improvement to my old note. I had some minor issue with SD card reader, but that turn out to be a bad SD Card.
It is big and little too heavy if you combine it with an optional cover* it is probably approaching 1kg.

Playing around with video, gallery, internet, music etc it all seems fine. If you are purchasing this device for that you might as well go for a 12.2 Tab. I like the feature where I can put a video in a popup box and it stays on top.

Primary Role of my Device
I purchased this device so I can take notes in business meetings and in class. I am trying to avoid dragging around note pads and textbooks. I want to have everything in one place and easy historical access to it.

The tablet itself is almost A4 in size. When stacked in with a bunch of A4 paper hand-outs you wouldn't know there was tablet mixed in there***.

In meetings I generally just need the S note. I am not sure I like the new way you add shapes to a note, but I can learn to live with it. I would have preferred an option in the settings to select the old input method. If you have any last minute hand-outs in a meeting it is difficult to write something on a hand-out while juggling the note.

I took the device to adult education class. All my textbooks are scanned PDFs. So using the multi-tasking feature half the screen was the pdf while the other was the S Note. I have to say it really works great, better than I expected. In Landscape mode the screen split in half gives you two 8" displays (portrait). Resizing the application is easy, if you need a bigger viewing area on the active app. S-Note automatically saves changes which was handy. In a two hour class I wrote probably one page on S-Note and several notes on the PDF. I lost 4% of the battery.

I have used the stylus continuously for 2 hours with S Note while a fifth of the screen was allocated to a word document. In 2 hours I lost about 15-20% power. So power usage should be well within my demands. Hopefully I will get 3 days without having to recharge.

The accuracy of the interpreted pen inputs for quick handwriting isn't much better than original Note. S Note seems to smooth out the jaggedness of touch screen sensors, which makes it look better, but no where near like a real pen. It is still miles better than a palm device in its day.

Why 4 Stars
I find with all Samsung devices they seem to make their products fit the bill, but they NEVER go that extra mile when refining it.
The pen is short and thin. It has very little weight and doesn't feel comfortable to hold. I find the button on the stylus is awkward and fiddly and I don't have gorilla hands. They could have added a capacitive button to the device say on the left and right sides of the device (for left handed people) or on the screen itself. Why didn't they stick an electronic eraser on the other end of the s-pen? That would have been a nice touch.

The S Note is again functional it works, it works fine actually. The issue is when you try to write to the far right** or bottom of a page. Why don't they allow you to reposition the corner of a page to the middle of the screen? This would allow you to rest your hand on the screen. Instead it is awkward and sometimes difficult to write to the end or bottom. This doesn't help if you are in a busy meeting or class and information is being fired at you. I find I am losing page space as it isn't worth the hassle.

If I have a windowed application and click on full screen accidently, I can't work out how to return it back to windowed view, without having to re-open the app again.

*ASIN: B00HRY2LPE
**I am right handed.
*** I purchased the White Note

Samsung Galaxy Note PRO 12.2-inch Tablet (White) - (Exynos 5 Octa 1.9GHz, 3GB RAM, 32GB Storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.4)
Offered by beauty stores

4.0 out of 5 stars It is good, but Samsung NEVER go that extra mile to make it 5 STARS., 17 Jun. 2014
Back Ground

Review General Review

Playing around with video, gallery, internet, music etc it all seems fine. But if you are purchasing this device for that you might as well go for a 12.2 Tab. I like the feature where I can put a video in a popup box and it stays on top.

Primary Role of my Device
I purchased this device so I can take notes in business meetings and in class. I am trying to avoid dragging around note pads and textbooks and I have everything in one place and easy historical access to it.

A couple of things I like the size. The tablet itself is almost A4 in size. When stack in with a bunch of A4 paper hand-outs you wouldn't know there was tablet mixed in there***.

In meetings I generally just need the S note. I am not sure I like the new way you add shapes to a note, but I can learn to live with it, but I would have preferred an option in the settings to select the old input method. If you have any last minute hand-outs in a meeting it is annoying to write something on a hand-out while juggling the note.

I took the device to adult education class. All my textbooks are scanned PDFs. So using the multi-tasking feature half the screen was the pdf while the other was the S Note. I have to say it really works great. In Landscape mode the screen split in half gives you two 8" displays (portrait). Resizing the application is easy if you need a bigger viewing area. S-Note automatically saves changes which was handy. In a two hour class I wrote probably one page on S-Note and several notes on the PDF. I lost 4% of the battery.

I have used stylus continuously for 2 hours with S Note while a fifth of the screen was allocated to word document. In 2 hours I lost about 15-20% power. So power usage should be well within my demands. Hopefully I will get 3 days without having to recharge.

The accuracy of the interpreted pen inputs for quick handwriting isn't much better than original note. S Note seems to smooth out the jaggedness of touch screen sensors which makes it look better, but nowhere near like a real pen. It is still miles better than a palm device in its day.

Why 4 Stars
The pen is short and thin. It has very little weight and doesn't feel comfortable to hold. I find the button on the stylus is awkward and fiddly and I don't have gorilla hands. They could have added a capacitive button to the device say on the left and right sides of the device (for left handed people) or on the screen itself. Why didn't they stick an electronic eraser on the other end of the s-pen, that would have been a nice touch.

The S Note is again functional it works, it works fine actually. The issue is when you try to write to the far right** or bottom of a page. Why don't they allow you to reposition the corner of a page to the middle of the screen? This would allow you to rest you hand on the screen. Instead it is awkward and sometimes difficult to write to the end or bottom. This doesn't help if you are in a busy meeting or class and information is being fired at you. I find I am losing page space as it isn't worth the hassle.

*ASIN: B00HRY2LPE
**I am right handed.
*** I purchased the White Note
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 10:07 PM BST

Avery Quick&Clean Double Sided Inkjet 250gsm C32028-10
Avery Quick&Clean Double Sided Inkjet 250gsm C32028-10

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Card for high quality printing, but some issues., 2 Jun. 2014
The cards look good and print is excellent. They are Easy to detach from page if you following the instructions and leave a clean edge.

They are very easy to print and setup if you download the template. The template isn't pin point precise to the card, maybe a couple of mm out depending on your printer. Which I kind of expected, so I just adjust my design accordingly. I normally do a sample print on plain paper. See if it looks right then print a single card and so on.

I have had the cards 2 years now I have a minor issue when stacked in my card holder they tend to rub the black ink onto the back of card on top of it, plus slightly smudging the card itself. This could be an issue of my printer*, printer ink or card or high humidity. I could of course buffer the cards in the holder to stop them gyrating against each other. I had to throw away maybe 3 that had become so bad. I have moved onto C32096-10 avery cards to see if this fixes that issue, plus this different card is smidge thicker and linen finish feels good to the touch. Where the glossy feels like a photo which is a little odd for a business card.

I have never tried to print on both sides. So can't comment on that.

* HP 3050A Inkjet, total number of pages printed to date less than a 100 pages printed so far. HP original inks only ever used.

Avery Zweckform C32096-10 10 Sheets of 8 Business Cards Inkjet Specially Coated Linen Finish 200g Precision Cut Sides

5.0 out of 5 stars In Brief: Just read the CAUTION section otherwise Good., 2 Jun. 2014
This is the second time I have purchased Avery Business cards. First time was the C32028-10 Glossy Cards.

This time I wanted a thicker card and this is the thickest card they do. They are very easy to print and setup if you download the template. The template isn't pin point precise to the card, maybe a couple of mm out. Which I kind of expect, so I just adjust my design accordingly. I normally do a sample print on plain paper. See if it looks right then print a single card and so on.

Why 4 stars?
The glossy cards, I purchased before, when stacked in my card holder tend to rub the black ink onto the back of card on top of it, plus slightly smudging the card itself. This could be an issue of my printer*, printer ink or card or high humidity. I have purchased this card, both for the thickness and to see if a non-glossy card solves the issue of smudging. If it has I will up my star rating to 5. Updated seems to be okay 11/06/2014

The cards look good and feel much better to the touch. Images are not as sharp as the glossy cards, but that is to be expected. Easy to detach from page if you following the instructions. My printer* has a little bit of trouble picking the pages up, I solved this by putting a stack of plain paper in the feeder with card sheet on top. Seems to fix it.

CAUTION:
========
I have reported to Amazon that currently** they don't specify the number of Cards are on each sheet. There are 8, but when I download the template for this product C32096 from the Avery web site it downloads the 10 cards per sheet. Plus Avery's official description of the product is it has 10 cards per sheet. Why they use the same product code is stupid for 10 cards and 8 cards per sheet is stupid. I ended up using my old template for the C32028. Worked fine, but I lost one sheet of my 10 finding this out. I wrote a complaint to Avery over their stupid product code naming. And Amazon offered me a refund for spoiling one sheet. Which was good of them as I only contacted them to fix their description and put pressure on Avery to fix there template.
Update 11/06/2014: Avery sent me 20 sheets of C32096 as a goodwill gesture for spotting the issue on their website so all in all I am Very happy.

* HP 3050A Inkjet, total number of pages printed to date** less than a 100 pages printed so far. HP original inks only ever used.
** 02 /Jun/ 2014

Hachi - A Dog's Tale [Blu-ray]
Hachi - A Dog's Tale [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sarah Roemer

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 2 Jan. 2014
I saw this movie listed in the top 150 movies on IMDB. I recognised the name as I had read the story in Japanese children book last year.

The film worked great, the connection between the Professor and Hatchi really came across. You easily get emotionally attached to the two main characters, which makes it that much tougher at the end of the film. The real magic of the film is it based on a true story.

I noticed in the credits, the story line is basically a remake of a Japanese film Hachiko Monogatari (1987). Would be interesting to see the original.

Pentel 0.7mm Coloured Pencil Leads -  Blue (Tube of 12)
Pentel 0.7mm Coloured Pencil Leads - Blue (Tube of 12)
Offered by Morgan's Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall Very Happy, 2 Jan. 2014
I previously purchased 0.5mm Uni-Color leads (Green and Red). They were terrible, the leads would snap or just crumble.

These Pentel leads are much better and I think being 0.7mm adds some strength. Also being 0.7mm they last longer. I purchased both the Red and Blue 0.7mm.

My only complaint to the product would be you can't get a clean erase when using an eraser (compared to a unicolor).

I just wished Pentel would offer more colours.

Pentel 0.7mm Coloured Pencil Leads - Red (Tube of 12)
Pentel 0.7mm Coloured Pencil Leads - Red (Tube of 12)
Offered by Morgan's Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall Very Happy, 2 Jan. 2014

I just wished Pentel would offer more colours.

LARGE / FULL SHEET MAGNIFIER / MAGNIFYING READING VISION AID
LARGE / FULL SHEET MAGNIFIER / MAGNIFYING READING VISION AID
Offered by Pharmacy Place

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad for the money., 2 Jan. 2014
Purchased this item as a Christmas Present for my Mum, she said it would be ideal for the TV guide.

My complaint is the product needs to be more rigid. It flexes too much and reflects the light.

Had to laugh at what it said on the product packaging "Magnifying Sheet Deluxe Framed".

Delock USB 3.0 Slot Bracket
Delock USB 3.0 Slot Bracket

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy . Works Great and fast., 2 Jan. 2014
I purchased a USB 3.0 Uspeed Front Plate last year from Amazon. Which had terrible read and write speeds 45MB/s read. Which I returned to Amazon. I was dubious this would be any different.

Easy enough to install, using the same bench mark tool as I used before with a Kingston HyperX. The read speeds are over 220 MB/s and just over 80MB/s write, which is same as the Motherboard USB 3.0 sockets.

Ports are generously spaced apart, only concern would be the screws on the back plate. This shouldn't be an issue unless you have a bulky device to connect and it needs to be mounted flush with the socket. I use a Kingston USB 3.0 Multi Card read which is as bulky as they get, but doesn't sit flush.

The header cable is over 12" long and on my motherboard the Header socket is probable 12" away from the CPU. While the Motherboard USB 3.0 ports are 2" away from the CPU. So all in all Happy.