ARRAY(0xaf60315c)

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
Price: 2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Another compelling page turner!, 14 April 2013
This review is from: The Storyteller (Kindle Edition)
I have given this book a four star rating as I feel that is one of Jodi's best in a long while. There are however certain caveats, and one of them is the fact that although a good story, I think that the central characters are too conveniently linked. The main character, Sage, a young woman with a facial deformity, is a strong character around whom this story is based. The other characters are good, but I found the connection a little too far fetched. The harrowing recollections of her grandmother of the sufferings of the Jews in WW2 are hard reading. It is something we are all well aware of, but maybe never read in any detail? I think I understand why Jodi has also included a story about a vampire that was written by the grandmother before and during her time in concentration camps. It is surely to bring some relief from the descriptions of the heinous crimes committed by the Nazis, which are so palpable through the pages.
It is a book that will stay in my mind for a long time, and thoroughly deserving of four stars. I have read all of Jodi's books, some I have liked more than others. This one is one of my favourites. She is never scared of tackling difficult and thought provoking issues, which give others topics for debate. I love her style of writing switching from one character to another, it is almost like a television play; one episode for each character. If you have never read any of Jodi's books, please read this one.

The Yellow Birds
The Yellow Birds
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and moving., 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Yellow Birds (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very thought provoking. The author, whilst obviously having first hand experience of the war in Iraq, has a beautiful style of writing that compels you keep reading. I found it hard to believe that the incidents were fiction. Everything was related in such detail and although difficult to relate to the suffering, the reader is left in no doubt about the heinous acts and total devastation in a war zone. I feel sure that many would find this subject matter too difficult and upsetting to read, it is not for people in a nervous or depressed state.

The Snow Child
The Snow Child
Price: 3.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy, but sad., 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
This book is oddly compelling. I didn't know whether I could finish it at one point. Obviously a fantasy tale, but sad and thought provoking too. It is touching and sometimes unbelievable. All in all it transports the reader to a different world. The couple, Mabel and Jack have longed for a child, but have never been fortunate enough to have any children. Having moved away from family and friends to Alaska they settle into a sometimes uncomfortable existence. They build a snowman and give it some gloves and a scarf. When these items go missing and Mabel is sure she sees a small girl wearing them, her instinct is to follow the girl, who disappears into the woods. A touching tale, good for long winter evenings! I could imagine this being made into a film.

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 Feb 2013
This is an amazing book and written by someone who had lived more in her 26 years at time of recall, than some do in 70 years. The book starts to tell us of her life before her amazing journey. She decided to hike along the Pacific Crest Trail. No mean feat as it is 1100 miles long. A very confused young woman, having had an absent father, the recent death of her mother, and a subsequent difficult relationship with her siblings. Added to that she was going through a divorce! Throughout her journey she encountered many people and she describes their reactions to her, especially when she needed their help. It shows human frailty, and is uncomfortable reading sometimes. I found this book utterly compelling. Written beautifully, and with a happy ending it is a good book to read if you are feeling your life could not get any worse!!

What Have I Done?
What Have I Done?
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but compelling., 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (Kindle Edition)
I have rated this book as a 4 star because I did like it. However, at times I thought that the details were rushed, or maybe brushed over. It is written with the narrator switching between different timelines. I found it disturbing, because I honestly believe the content and it is very thought provoking. You never really know people or what is going on behind closed doors. It also illustrates how a person can flip when they have reached the end of their tether. It is very sad at times especially when the narrator is describing her relationships with her children. I found I wanted to return to read the book each night. It is a good book, but I would not recommend it to anyone who is deeply disturbed by relationship problems! The ending was the weakest part of the book.

Touching Distance
Touching Distance
Price: 5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Touching Distance (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't realised the amazing journey that James and Beverley had been on. Having lived with a husband who has epilepsy for years, I could identify with some of the reactions from all concerned. I was particularly touched by the heartwrenching times when James was quite unsympathetic towards his son, who found his daddy completely changed. It should show all of us how precious life is and never to take anything for granted. At times I found the pace of the book too bogged down by banal everyday unnecessary rhetoric. However, a good read and I would recommend it.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello
Price: 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Jan 2013
I haven't finished this hilarious book yet, but it is amazing as a debut novel. I am red eyed from reading for far too long into the night and laughing so much. A real tonic if you are fed up with life. A must read book for the year.

Killer Contract (Best Defence #4)
Killer Contract (Best Defence #4)
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story fantastic author!, 25 Dec 2012
I echo the thoughts of the previous reviewer wholeheartedly!!! I fail to understand how this author can't find a publisher. The humour and story line is solid and believable (so many are not, or stumble in the final chapter). I have read all the books in this series and they have all been brilliant. I now understand why I couldn't buy the books from any store including Amazon! Please can someone correct this travesty?

80lt Plastic Storage boxes (Pack of 3)
80lt Plastic Storage boxes (Pack of 3)
Offered by plasticboxshop
Price: 23.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 22 Sep 2012
We have purchased lots of these boxes and have found them very useful. They stack well and of course are reusable.

The Love of My Life
The Love of My Life
Price: 0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, 22 Sep 2012
I stumbled upon this book by accident and thought that I would try it. I read in bed on my kindle, and this book has kept me reading for much longer than I should have. I feel that it's beautifully written, sympathetically recalled by the main character, and I could quite believe the story from the views of a very young teenager and a grown, bereaved woman. Well done!

Page: 1 | 2