Profile for Robin Armstrong > Reviews

Content by Robin Armstrong

Robin Armstrong (Aurora, Ont., Canada)

The Original I Ching Oracle: The Pure and Complete Texts with Concordance
The Original I Ching Oracle: The Pure and Complete Texts with Concordance
by Rudolf Ritsema

5.0 out of 5 stars The I Ching of Psychological Archetypes, 8 April 2010
This is a version of the I Ching developed with the theme of archetypes (Jungian) in mind. It has a fairly thorough and extensive list of words and images associated to each hexagram. It follows the King Wen sequence of Later Heaven and the subsequent traditions. The emphasis is on using I Ching to divine hexagrams that will provide a treasury of archetypes which can then be related to and used in a psycho-therapeutic manner. It aligns itself to the alchemical and psychological ideas of Carl Jung. One of the unique factors is that western terms are used to express the trigrams, rather than the traditional Chinese ones. This brings a creative and refreshing new approach to using the I Ching. It is definitely directed towards western language and expressions. This work is also unique in that it does focus on archetypes but tends to exclude sequential implications. It is a welcome addition to the literature on the I Ching and a courageous attempt to apply it to psychotherapy and its practices. On a critical note this book diminishes the mystical and spiritual meanings that many feel are inherent within the I Ching and sticks to psychological implications. It is scholastically presented and does not maintain the poetic style of the earlier Chinese works. Something is lost and something is gained. New interpretations and applications of the I Ching, like this one, are long over due.