Profile for Scotty Law > Reviews

The Good, The Bad and The Undead
The Good, The Bad and The Undead
Price: 3.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but sloppy Kindle edition, 12 Jan 2012
I'm going to keep this simple. If you're thinking about reading this book, you've probably read the first in the series, Dead Witch Walking. Therefore you know what you're getting: a pacey, well-written adventure with interesting characters and a really well-imagined alternative version of our world which, according to my friend who also enjoys this series, just keeps getting better and richer in detail. This is a worthy sequel, even though I'm already finding the Rachel-Ivy dynamic a little repetitive. Also, if I'm going to be picky, if Jenks strikes another Peter Pan pose, I may just have to scream - Jenks is a great character, but apparently a little limited in his body language. No matter - this is still a great book which I thoroughly recommend and I'm really looking forward to reading more.

However, I read the Kindle version of this book and this is where I've been disappointed. I was lucky enough to get this for the Kindle for just 99p and I'm sure some of you think, well, you get what you pay for. However, if I download a 3.99 mp3 album, I don't expect it to be full of glitches and faults. The Kindle version works just fine but it feels as if the typed text has been quickly scanned as a pdf and only briefly checked. As a result, the presentation of the text is poor - it seems like every few pages two words are put together without a space - hardly a major problem, but irritating. Occasionally, it also feels like the grammar is wrong and tense endings have been missed, making sentences awkward. Finally, in some cases, it seems as if the words are just wrong, making the sentence gibberish. The example that pops into my mind was early on: a character is described as "dark completed", when I think the original was probably "dark-complexioned". I realise some of you may think I am being incredibly pedantic, but my concern is that with the Kindle taking off, we as readers need to make sure we get the books that we (and the authors) deserve - if we let these poor standards slide without comment, all we will ever get are sloppy versions which irk and annoy.

So, hopefully the publishers will take note and take greater care in the future. For now, prospective readers may want to consider the format they buy in. The book will not disappoint, but its presentation might...